Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I mean I unscrewed the plumbing and snaked and washed up the pipes and cleared the gunk.  Put it all back together.  It was the easiest and most disgusting thing I have ever done in my life.  Watched youtube for five minutes and BAM!   Instant plumber. 

I have no idea why this might enhance your day but I had to tell somebody.  I have been so frustrated for the better part of a year with no real lasting success and within 20 minutes I am woman hear me roar.  

Apologies to Dan Akroyd and his pants halfway down the butt.  A sight I won't have to see now.  

Yep, this is the highlight of my Sunday.  I really do need to get out more.  So if you have a slow drain, hit me up.  😂🔧

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I just unclogged my sink!

I get it. Because of the Internet I have done so many things on my own. What to tackle next?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14   Good for you!   I am very impressed Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Congrats, @Laura14 .

I had a nearly completely clogged kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. The usual remedy of plunger and boiling water didn't work, so I sought chemical help. I bought a guaranteed Drano product that didn't work, and I used two bottles. So having filled the sink with clean water that slowly drained over a day, I bought Liquid Plumr Industrial Strength Gel and used all 42 oz per the directions. That, and careful plunging (against directions, but I was desperate) cleared the clog. I've since bought a 128-oz bottle of the Liquid Plumr so I'm not caught short.

I didn't even consider undoing the pipes, etc., because some of them are plastic and I don't have the adhesives to reassemble them. That can be tricky because you need an adhesive that can stand up to the temp of what you put down the sink, and if it's boiling water from pasta pots, you need a specific item. I learned this the hard way when we had a plumber's assistant do the repairs in a house we were selling and he didn't use joining compound that was up to snuff and we had leaks till the master plumber came and did it right.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann Congrats!  I had done all of that and it had just gotten to the point of lasting maybe a day.  I was so over it.  Luckily this was a bathroom sink so no tools really required or special stuff like that.  Just tupperware, paper towels and hot water with some brute strength.  

I plan to throw some cleaner and or vinegar and baking soda down once a month or so.  For some reason the buildup is incredible in this drain.  Never had that happen anywhere else I've lived.  I got its number now though.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@noodleann Congrats!  I had done all of that and it had just gotten to the point of lasting maybe a day.  I was so over it.  Luckily this was a bathroom sink so no tools really required or special stuff like that.  Just tupperware, paper towels and hot water with some brute strength.  

I plan to throw some cleaner and or vinegar and baking soda down once a month or so.  For some reason the buildup is incredible in this drain.  Never had that happen anywhere else I've lived.  I got its number now though.

LOL, @Laura14 , you're a force to be reckoned with when it comes to house stuff. I remember something about shrubs quite a while ago, and I think you taught them a lesson.

I always tell myself that I'll do a soap, bleach, and hot water treatment monthly to keep the drains clear and then forget. This house is over 200 years old and the iron waste pipes look ancient. Who knows what's built up inside of them?

Plumbing is one of those mysteries I avoid as much as possible. As long as water comes out and goes away properly, I'm good.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you! I would be super proud of myself too!

Super Contributor

On behalf of women everywhere, You Rock!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14   Go Laura, Go Laura.   Very impressive.  A few weeks ago my garbage disposal seemed to have died.  Worked a few days before.  I do NOT put anything too crazy in there.  So aggravated.......nothing.  Took the plunger......a few swift plunges...tried it and it started.   Not sure if a seed or something got lodged.  I was so happy that did the trick.  I’m NOT the greatest handy woman.  Made my day.  Good for you.  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

LOL, @Laura14 , you're a force to be reckoned with when it comes to house stuff. I remember something about shrubs quite a while ago, and I think you taught them a lesson.

I always tell myself that I'll do a soap, bleach, and hot water treatment monthly to keep the drains clear and then forget. This house is over 200 years old and the iron waste pipes look ancient. Who knows what's built up inside of them?

Plumbing is one of those mysteries I avoid as much as possible. As long as water comes out and goes away properly, I'm good.

@noodleann I fell trying to cut them back and broke my wrist.  Burned those suckers to the ground and I have had brand new shrub free landscaping in the front of the house for a couple of years now.  🤣