Honored Contributor

Re: I just ordered my AncestryDNA!

I think it is cool....but I know both of my Mother's parents came from Ireland....on my father's side his mother was from Hungry and his Father was from Norway.  So what would  I learn paying   $$$$$ to find that out again? I am half Irish, 1/4 Hungarian and 1/4 Norwegian.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think it is cool....but I know both of my Mother's parents came from Ireland....on my father's side his mother was from Hungry and his Father was from Norway.  So what would  I learn paying   $$$$$ to find that out again? I am half Irish, 1/4 Hungarian and 1/4 Norwegian.

@SeaMaiden I understand that these DNA tests go back centuries so you would know much more than the grandparent level.

Honored Contributor

We just did the extensive one with Ancestry, my brother did the cheek swab, as they said males work better, it was very detailed and very interesting to find out what we really were, versus what we thought all of these years. We split the cost, so it was only 20.00 per sibling...I am glad we did it.

Trusted Contributor

I have become such a skeptic LOL and would have to see the test done. Real true genetic testing is very very expensive.  If I did this test I would like to be or better yet find a control subject as to the test accuracy, Trouble is most Americans are such a Heinz 57 mix today that they can easily skew the results if so inclined. FInd a 50-50 or better yet a pure family lineage and do the test as a control subject..........that would be worth it as a control.  Do they ask any leading questions with the sampling? Is the test just a mouth swab?

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I have become such a skeptic LOL and would have to see the test done. Real true genetic testing is very very expensive.  If I did this test I would like to be or better yet find a control subject as to the test accuracy, Trouble is most Americans are such a Heinz 57 mix today that they can easily skew the results if so inclined. FInd a 50-50 or better yet a pure family lineage and do the test as a control subject..........that would be worth it as a control.  Do they ask any leading questions with the sampling? Is the test just a mouth swab?

Yes, the test is a mouth swab, but saliva carries your DNA. I recently did a DNA test with my doctor to check on which medications would work best for me. It was a mouth swab, and it turned out to be great. I found a medication that I had never tried for a condition that I have. Feeling much better now.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I already know I'm a Heinz 57...I just don't what 57...LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Q4u, if you haven't already read it, buy Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It made me fall in love with my Scottish heritage. And, FYI, the book is much better than the tv series on Starz.

I will do that, thank you!

I've always "identified" with my Scots ancestry, which I found funny.  My Dad researched back about 500 years to a point where our name suddenly was no more..in the current spelling. It Pooooft!  That was really strange until my Dad discovered that the family lived originally in IRELAND and were PROTESTANT and he was convinced that the family changed the spelling of our name when we moved. (Same name, different, less common spelling)  Different countries, but the people and the names were very closely related.

Times were tough back then and to avoid persecution (and prosecution) for not being Catholic we think the family moved into Scotland. Ireland and Scotland have pretty much the same type of people.  Ridiculous they would fight over religion but unfortunately it's the history of most of the world. Religious persecution would no longer be a threat.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ancestry has a special on the DNA for $79 every few months.

My whole family (cousins, too) did it.  The results were all similar and cousins were identified.

We were all more scandinavian than we thought.  Our local geneology guru said it was those Vikings who raided and settled along coasts especially in England, Ireland, and Scotland.  Made sense to me.

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Ancestry has a special on the DNA for $79 every few months.

My whole family (cousins, too) did it.  The results were all similar and cousins were identified.

We were all more scandinavian than we thought.  Our local geneology guru said it was those Vikings who raided and settled along coasts especially in England, Ireland, and Scotland.  Made sense to me.

@athenian,

I have a friend who looks like Hulk Hogan and I told him so. I told my friend that if they make another Thor movie he should try out for the part...and he looked at me strangely and said: "I'm not Viking, I'm Irish"...LOLWoman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Neat! My brother-in-law got one for my sister for X-mas. I'll get an idea of our ancestry from her results. These things are great for us who live in the Western Hemisphere since many of us have some sort of mixed heritage.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.