Esteemed Contributor

Re: I just ordered my AncestryDNA!

@Q4u, if you haven't already read it, buy Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It made me fall in love with my Scottish heritage. And, FYI, the book is much better than the tv series on Starz.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I did 23andme (comprehensive one) and it was great money spent! I secretly don't understand why everyone does not do this! It was and is very insightful. Enjoy!

@Goldengate8361,

I think some people don't want to know. IGNORANCE IS BLISS.Smiley Happy

I haven't done it because I read this type of testing is very inaccurate (some scientists have called it "genetic astrology"). It seems like it would be fun but I wouldn't rely on the results.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I did 23andMe and the results were in line with what I expected. Mostly. I expected more "Native Amercan," but understand that NA is hard to determine due to the roots of the tribes who migrated from Asia. There are tests out there to determine actual NA ancestry, but I didn't follow through. The percentages I received were enough to confirm the family stories about the actual parentage of one of my grandparents.

Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack my nickname says it all.  Totally agree with you.  Can't wait to explore ,y Scottish roots.  Diana Gabaldon is arguably one of the best writers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sassenach1, have you found your Jamie? Lol. I so fell in love with the series that I ordered a handmade kilt from Scotland in Fraser plaid to wear to the Scottish celebration at McAlester College in Saint Paul every year. I did try haggis a few times, but didn't fall in love with it!

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I did 23andme (comprehensive one) and it was great money spent! I secretly don't understand why everyone does not do this! It was and is very insightful. Enjoy!

@Goldengate8361,

I think some people don't want to know. IGNORANCE IS BLISS.Smiley Happy

I haven't done it because I read this type of testing is very inaccurate (some scientists have called it "genetic astrology"). It seems like it would be fun but I wouldn't rely on the results.

I've read that the science of genetic testing is "evolving" and that while the results we receive are accurate, there is more to the story. The companies are constantly updating their results as more information becomes available. Of course, once you submit your saliva sample, your results won't change. I read that if you do it again in a few years, you might receive more complete information.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@SilleeMee and @Moonchilde,  there is a site online called promothease(dot)com/ondemand where you can send your raw data, and for $5.00 they will give you lots of medical information. I guess you get the results back within 10 minutes. I intend to do that. I think the Ancestry one ($99) and the 23 and me test are very similar. Should be very interesting and fun.

@Yardlie,

That's really valuable info you just said. Thank you so much! I will definitely do that. The price is remarkable. 23andMe would cost me too much for me right now. But this is something I will go for. Thanks!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@sassenach1, have you found your Jamie? Lol. I so fell in love with the series that I ordered a handmade kilt from Scotland in Fraser plaid to wear to the Scottish celebration at McAlester College in Saint Paul every year. I did try haggis a few times, but didn't fall in love with it!

LOL!  I have read the series many times. She is truly gifted as a writer.  A Plaid!  Good for you!  I just got signed copies of "Finding Fraser" - a true tale of the quest to find her Jamie.  Diana and the author signed it!  

Esteemed Contributor

I did this a few years ago and the results are amazing! 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

I've never considered doing a DNA search.  Maybe I should but I already know through family searches, that almost all of my ancestors come from Ireland.  Three of my grandparents were Irish and only 1 was not.  Her parents came here from Austria.  Probably many of her ancestors, the ones who didn't come to the US,  were victims of the holocaust.  It might be worth searching her family roots but the rest has been searched back well over 100 years and it's all Irish.  

I come from poor Irish potato farmers.  I'm fine with that. Smiley Very Happy