Respected Contributor

Re: I just had a pizza delivery guy drive through my fence gate!

@ValuSkr wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@ValuSkr, imho this was not one mistake.  The dellivery person LIED, trying to deny doing any damage - something a good responsible person would never do!

@eddyandme   The "lie" was a desperate attempt to save his job, as [I imagine that] the damage was irrefutable.  It makes me feel even worse for him.  Smiley Sad

From reading the OP he not only lied, but then proceeded to argue with her. 

Respected Contributor

I feel like this was an accident. The vehicle rolled forward into the fence he did not drive it into the gate. The veicle could not have been moving fast so I question the amount of damage. This is why you have homeowners insurance.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I feel like this was an accident. The vehicle rolled forward into the fence he did not drive it into the gate. The veicle could not have been moving fast so I question the amount of damage. This is why you have homeowners insurance.

And once a claim is made, even if the amount is less than the deductible, premiums will rise perhaps as much as 20%.  That is how much my homeowner's increased due to a claim.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@ValuSkr, imho this was not one mistake.  The dellivery person LIED, trying to deny doing any damage - something a good responsible person would never do!

@eddyandme   The "lie" was a desperate attempt to save his job, as [I imagine that] the damage was irrefutable.  It makes me feel even worse for him.  Smiley Sad

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, @ValuSkr  as imho most employers would value and honest employee and not fire hime for a one-time only.

Honored Contributor

No way would I tip a guy that damages my property and won’t give me insurance info...the pizza parlor is the one who will ultimately bear the cost of this incident...and I hope the delivery guy lost his job. That’s no way to treat a customer.
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
No way would I tip a guy that damages my property and won’t give me insurance info...the pizza parlor is the one who will ultimately bear the cost of this incident...and I hope the delivery guy lost his job. That’s no way to treat a customer.

I agree.  There's absolutely no way I would tip him after the way he acted.  He damaged her property, lied, argued, and left a pizza lying there.  Did he at least apologize?  I don't think so.

The last thing I would have been thinking about would be giving him a tip.  For what?  A job well done?  I would have been furious.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@conlt  I hope you tipped him.  You know those guys aren't paid much and depend on tips.  AND it's a dangerous job.  Locally just in the last few weeks one driver has been killed and another was robbed.

He's going to need the tip even more since he'll probably get fired.

If there was ever time for a "pity" tip, it's now.

And as @PilatesLover said...it's the restaurant's fault anyway.  

i'm assuming either this is a sarcastic reply, or you didn't read the op post. 

At first I assumed it was sarcastic, but now I'm not sure.

In any case, no, it's not the restaurant's fault.  It's the driver's fault, but unfortunately the restaurant will probably be held responsible.  They may decide they can't afford to keep a driver who's a liability, and I wouldn't blame them.  

I hope the OP told the restaurant how this guy acted.  That job should go to someone who's more honest and responsible, and not such a jerk.

Respected Contributor

Are you kidding me? The vehicle crashed through an aluminum fence bending the fence almost in half and the fence plate that held it so I could get out of my yard. He ruined my fence, came within inches of hitting me and my dog. The gate itself is a 8 foot gate and it cost me $1000. Why should I have to pay for it a second time because I ordered a pizza? All drivers must have control of their vehicles at all times. I am lucky I was not seriously hurt and so is he. Although, in sense, I did feel bad for the driver but I need a new gate, he hit it. He is 39 years old and should have known to take responsibility. He did not inquire if I was OK, he never asked to help clean up the mess. All as he did was blame me because he crashed through the fence. I contacted his auto insurance yesterday and it appears they will take care of the cost. I don't believe in punishing the victim of an accident. 

Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Don’t you have insurance?

Why should the Poster pay for damages done by someone else ?   The delivery driver should have insurance.

Honored Contributor

Why should she tip a person who damaged her property? He may have delivered a pizza but his behavior (getting into an accident) doesn’t deserve rewarding his actions after that delivery. 

Think of it like you received a horrible haircut, would you tip that person? You wouldn’t request that person again either.

I’m glad the insurance company — pizza place is doing something to correct this. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼