Honored Contributor

Re: “I just don’t understand why I’m still here.”

They also serve, who only stand and wait

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

They also serve, who only stand and wait

Beautiful and so meaningful in this context @cherry . It is a great sorrow in my life as an educator that we have so little time in the field of education to explore and absorb the wisdom that precedes us.

I went to an old fashioned public school as a small child, and we memorized poetry, not laboriously but lovingly, and some of it has stuck ‘till this day.

Then I was involuntary transferred to a “progressive” public school where the “old skills” and techniques were firmly on the sidelines.

Sometimes a bit of slowing down allows an elder to join us rather than needing to follow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann  that little bit of wisdom seems to help so many people, during times of questioning and despair

None of us will ever know why were are here but ,I have always felt I am living now ,for some purpose, even if it isn't clear to me

Respected Contributor

I do not know your Dad's spiritual values, but from my readings, we are only here for one purpose, not for our happiness, but to serve and believe in our creator and son ... and to show His love to others.

This is what keeps me going since getting old (as I) is becoming a burden.  Everyone must not live in despair, but with "hope."   

Respected Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for your heartfelt responses! My brother, sister and I took Dad to the cemetery to put a wreath on Mom’s grave today since the weather was nice and we were together. Dad told me later that he talked to Mom as we stood there.  He was happy we took him. 

While I wouldn’t wish this type of situation on anyone, it is comforting to know others understand and took the time to respond either by hearts or messages of support. I appreciate it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli 

@Kalli wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for your heartfelt responses! My brother, sister and I took Dad to the cemetery to put a wreath on Mom’s grave today since the weather was nice and we were together. Dad told me later that he talked to Mom as we stood there.  He was happy we took him. 

While I wouldn’t wish this type of situation on anyone, it is comforting to know others understand and took the time to respond either by hearts or messages of support. I appreciate it!

I,m not your dad,s age yet, I,m 83.  I wish my children, Grandchildren, and Great Grandchildren would treat me with respect instead of ignoring me at family gatherings.  No one ask me what is going on in my world.  I dislike going to family gathering because I feel so bad, and cry when I get home.

As a single mom, I spent time with them d and did lots of things with them.  With my Grandchildren, I took them every where I could afford .  Disneyland, etc.  When they got older, they are now in their late 30,s and  I never hear from them, they all live within five miles of me.  I keep hearing, "I am busy Gramma".  I was busy, but always found time for them, because of love.  I still would go back and do it again, those were the best times of my life and good memories for me.  

I am still going strong.  I have lived alone for years, except for my fur babies, volunteer jobs, and friends, but I miss family.  We might be elderly, but had lives and worth.  I know I,m worthly.

You are what I wish my daughter would feel toward  me.  God Bless you and yours and THANK YOU for sharing.

Super Contributor

Awe! Reading what you wrot about your father just broke my heart. Being married to the same person for 68 years and then losing them has to be so very hard on your father.

I agree that what you told him was perfect.

Is there any way you can get him to start doing more activities at the nursing home? I think it would be good for him to play cards, chess and other games with his friends.

My step father is 75. He's had a hip and knee replacement. He needs his other knee operated on. He still stays pretty active. For a few years he's been meeting friends every morning for coffee. They all have a great time.

When did your mother pass? I'm asking because if it was recent, within the last year or so, he's definitely still grieving. Do they have a counselor at the nursing home? I think it would be a good idea for your father to get grief counseling.

Valued Contributor

I enjoy reading all the posts.My mother is a nursing home in Italy.I flew back 1 week ago. The doctor wanted to tell me in person that she has kidney cancer.She is 89 wth dementia and is on a wheelchair.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie   I am so sorry for your challenges.  Sometimes life consists of difficult trials. You were able to be a source of kindness and strength for your MIL until she was ready to transition.  Wishing you much peace.

Honored Contributor

I know why we are here, to evolve and learn from our life lessons (often challenging) and, ultimately, to serve.  So many of these posts have been been examples of kindness and concern towards loved ones. It speaks to our strength during the challenges in our lives and the ability to give back when those around us question their purpose.