Honored Contributor

Re: I just don't understand people

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I'm sitting here at work at the hospital and a lady is sitting in the lobby with her speaker phone on loud enough for everyone to hear her conversation.  Why do people do that?  

Maybe she is hard of hearing?

Contributor

because they have no consideration for others

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday  We do live in the age where it can be risky to confront a stranger about anything, even something like asking to take their phone off speaker.  I agree with you that I would not like having to fear repurcussions from doing that. 

Honored Contributor

I'd be tempted to go join in and offer my two cents on the conversation. After all they put it on speaker phone so the whole room could have a say, right?

Or you could go over there and shout, "And next up! Tiffany Minxalot will perform her special dance in the champagne boom boom room! Two for one beers on tap!!!"

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I don't let someone having a conversation on a speaker phone bother me.

I view it no different than if they were having a conversation with someone face-to-face.

I just ignore it, and go on with my life.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I'm sitting here at work at the hospital and a lady is sitting in the lobby with her speaker phone on loud enough for everyone to hear her conversation.  Why do people do that?  

You're not supposed to understand people.  We are all different with different views so ....

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab   Some people are just clueless....others want attention...either way it is obnoxious and rude

Trusted Contributor

I had a FORMER "neighbor" who insisted on talking on his speaker phone incessantly pacing between my apt and his across the walkway.  As he had MANY other abominable behaviors and I hated to confront him,  I held back about the phone chatter. 

One day I said:  "ENOUGH." 

I opened the door and said loudly:  "Excuse me.   I hear every word you're saying. Would you mind talking on the phone inside??  He looked at me as if I was revealing a great surprise and responded:  "Oh, I didn't know you could hear me (LOLOLOLOL)  I'm sorry! 

It never happened again.  However, there were occasions I heard every word he said on the phone even when the door was shut and he was inside!  

The creep moved out over a year ago and my gratitude to God for his mercy still prevails today.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Well gee, how about if someone says nicely "Can you please take your phone off speaker?"

@Love my grandkids 

How can they hear you for their phone and on the one occasion I did that, I got an icy stare and the voice got louder.  I also fear my tires being flat when I return to parking lot. I live in a small community where everyone knows me.  We live in fear of making some angry.

This I don't understand. I would move if I lived in fear of my neighbors. 

Respected Contributor

The best I have come across is when I used to go for a manicure. Some women had the need to put their phone on speaker while they were getting a manicure. I am trying to sit and relax and I have to listen to these so not important conversations like are you going to the soccer game tomorrow? Once I said something and the woman came back at me, "don't listen if it annoys you." How could I not?