Esteemed Contributor

Re: I just closed my Qcard account

On 4/22/2014 PinkSugar said:

I am fixing to close my Q & HSN cards, never used my Shop card. The little I buy can be purchased with a debit card.

PinkSugar, I love that you said you were "fixing to" close those cards. I'm from the south (Mississippi) and have never seen anyone on this board use that term. ( I think it may be a secret southern expression).

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

On 4/22/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 4/22/2014 ------ said:

Isn't the APR on home shopping credit cards around 19-21%? If you don't pay off those balances each month I don't see how keeping them active is beneficial even when it benefits credit score. That's throwing your cash away.

I recently got "invitations" from HSN and Shop HQ for their in-house cards- yes the rates were OUTRAGEOUS, like 23% - I don't have ANY cards over 12% and the one that is that high, I rarely use...

23%??? OUCH!

I was actually insulted! "Invitation?"!!!indeed! Now that is one party I don't need to attend!

As long as you pay your balance in full every month, the interest rate is meaningless.

Honored Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

Isn't the APR on home shopping credit cards around 19-21%? If you don't pay off those balances each month I don't see how keeping them active is beneficial even when it benefits credit score. That's throwing your cash away.

I recently got "invitations" from HSN and Shop HQ for their in-house cards- yes the rates were OUTRAGEOUS, like 23% - I don't have ANY cards over 12% and the one that is that high, I rarely use...

23%??? OUCH!

I was actually insulted! "Invitation?"!!!indeed! Now that is one party I don't need to attend!

As long as you pay your balance in full every month, the interest rate is meaningless.

Ditto.

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 gazelle77 said:

Some deterrents for birds etc can be cruel... if this sticky stuff gets on their feathers or feet... it may kill them later.. like the sticky mats they use to catch mice... such a cruel suffering slow death...

huh?

Sorry, wrong thread!
Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Krimpette said:

23%??? OUCH!

Ditto.

I use a debit card for those type of transactions-

Honored Contributor

On 4/22/2014 winamac1 said:
On 4/21/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Well, you can always cut them up and not close the accounts.

I think too many consumers would prefer to close them as it's too easy to charge at a store without the card--just by giving id.

I don't plan on financing anything again anyway so it doesn't really make a lot of difference what my credit score is. If I ever buy a different house, it will be without financing it and I won't' finance a car ever again either. But, I still like having a high credit score for some reason, LOL.

Even if you never plan on using any type of financing in the future, you're smart for still keeping it high. Your credit score is now utilized by insurance companies in determining your premiums for car and homeowners insurance.

good point--I didn't' even think about that! Thanks

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Contributor

The problem with closing too many credit cards is that it counts against your credit score.

Super Contributor

I totally approve of not continuing to have credit cards available for temptation, and think it very smart to stop using them and move to a cash basis only. However, if it were me, I might have just taken all of my cards to my safety deposit box at my bank and left them there. That way I would not have closing them all on my credit score, and yet it would be difficult to get to them easily. When all were paid off, I then would decide who to keep and who to allow to go dead. I hope you kept a record of the account numbers and all pertinent information in case of fraud.

Good luck to you with your financial success !

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Krimpette said:

23%??? OUCH!

Ditto.

I use a debit card for those type of transactions-

I had read that ShopHQ's card is 26.99%.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Mochahoney said:
On 4/22/2014 PinkSugar said:

I am fixing to close my Q & HSN cards, never used my Shop card. The little I buy can be purchased with a debit card.

PinkSugar, I love that you said you were "fixing to" close those cards. I'm from the Mississippi and never see anyone here use that term. ( I think it may be a secret southern expression).

I often say it & I'm not from the south. I grew up on the east coast & then to So California. How funny.