Respected Contributor

Re: I hope this doesn't become a habit......

Sorry....didn't catch that my brain read DH not DD....too many abbreviations.  Then I'm sure he was just checking up on her....he's been there.....I still feel sorry for him.  He was just being nice.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Good thing about living out in the woods,

no one just drops by.

Nice of your neighbors to think of you.

Yes, living in the boonies does sometimes have its advantages!😉

I’m not only out of town, but my house is a quarter mile off the road and I have a large gate at the road that I keep locked every night.  I don’t open it until and unless I’m ready for visitors.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Maybe the robe gave him an idea that you are not one ready for visitors at 9 AM and in the future he'll call (by phone or physically) later in the day.

Very nice of him to check on you, IMO.  He's "been there" and maybe wants to help or wants to talk to someone about a shared experience.  You knew his wife (right?), he knew your husband.  Easier to talk to someone who knew the person lost than talk about them to person who did not.

And as someone else ( @geezerette ?) said people are all around in the beginning and then the crowd dwindles as time goes on. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I think he was just being kind, in an awkward way. I am glad he did ,because , if you need help in an emergency, I think he would be glad to offer it, and you needn't feel hesitant to call him

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 - I'm sorry about your husband's death. I, too, think your neighbor/friend was just being kind - maybe just thinking you wanted some company.

BUT - Gone are the days when we could just "drop in" on each other! I remember summers when I was growing up. My mom was up and dressed early in the morning, and I would often wake up to the doorbell ringing or her and her friends sitting at the kitchen table. It was so EARLY! 

When I was younger and a new mom living among other new moms, I would often get an early morning phone call, saying my friend was leaving her home down the street for me and let's take the babies for a walk. Usually I could do that. 

But I don't want anyone to just drop in any longer. I am out most evenings, and come home and write. I'm up late. DH is up super early (5:30-6) and leaves. After getting him off, I go back to bed for a few hours. Then my day starts. If I'm home (my schedule varies, like a lot of us), I'm not going to be dressed and ready for company, so I don't answer the door.

I hope your friend calls next time before he "drops by"!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

His intentions were probably good but personally, I do not open the door to anyone unless they have called me beforehand.

Trusted Contributor

I would never just open my door if I heard a noise outside.  Get a peep hole for your door or one of those ring doorbells where you can check on your phone or tablet to see what’s going on outside your door. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wish someone would ask if I am okay. My husband died over 3 years ago. I guess they see my son who comes over and me when I go out for my walk each day but I am lonely.  9 isn't too early-no big deal if I have a robe on.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps he is an early riser and at 9am, he has been up for 3+ hours.  I think he means well, maybe you can give him a call (if you know each others numbers), and explain that you try to catch sleep when you can due to the circumstances and appreciate him stopping by.  If you don't have each others phone numbers, perhaps that is why he was unable to call.  

Maybe he was out running errands and decided to stop by to see if there was anything he could do.

Not everyone gets up early, but if you do, sometimes, you think that the rest of the world is up early like you are. 

I think he meant well.  You can always get a ring on your porch just to see who is there or if something was knocked over.  You can not be too safe and best not to open the door unless you know what/who is outside. 

@CrazyKittyLvr2  no need to explain to anyone, you do what makes you comfortable. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Aww I feel bad for him. I do see your point though.🌸