Esteemed Contributor

Re: I hesitated but, in the end, believe it is better to post this

This is a sad story. I do not know the laws in that state, so cannot comment on that. 

I will however comment on age. I bought my own car before I was 16, paid cash for it from money I saved working 5 nights a week starting in 7th grade, and year around. I had a learner's permit and only drove it with 1 of my 2 older sisters in the car. I was 15 and a half at the time. I didn't have an accident at 16 and at 83, as of yesterday, I still have not had an accident.

Everyone seems to want different ages to be able to different things. I was old enough to serve in the United States Army when I was 18, but! When I went to the on base PX? I was too young to buy a beer. Age and maturity vary with each young'n. Age you cannot change, maturity is gained by experiences. Experience comes from making mistakes any rectifying them yourself, not one's parent.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

John,

This comment of yours is at the heart of the matter:

"Age and maturity vary with each young'n."

You strike me as always having been mature and level-headed.  Perhaps it was because you became, in some sense, the "man of the house" after the departure of your father ("sperm donor," as you so often refer to him).  Perhaps you are an "old soul."

I think many of us on this forum admire you for your no-nonsense approach to matters that we sometimes overthink.  You are a sensible person.  I can see that you handled yourself well behind the wheel from the outset.

However, you know as well as I do that there are many easily distracted and inexperienced -- and uncoordinated -- new and young drivers who do not do well with more than one person in the vehicle with them.  Throw in ADHD, and matters should be carefully monitored.  Distraction causes too many accidents.

Valued Contributor

Here is VA this is what an 18 year old can do as far as driving - Drivers are only allowed to carry one passenger under 18 in the first year of holding a license and the entire Learner's Permit phase. After the first year, drivers may not carry more than three under 18 passengers (note that you can get your licence at 16 in VA so he might have had his licence for over a year already and would have been allowed to have the 3 passengers). 

I do agree that that many under 18 passengers in a car can not be good, too many distractions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's a very very sad situation.....

Young immature drivers are a menace ...even back in my day long ago, young drivers thought they were invincible......at my High School there was a hand made memorial to kids that were killed in a car accident because the driver was traveling at a very high rate of speed ---- two people in the front seat, two in the back and no survivors.....

And not too long ago---in a nearby rural town, there was a case where a young driver was speeding and reading texts and hit a school bus and killed a bunch of kids.....😪

Today its even worse, with the temptation to text or play with the IT gadgets they now have in cars....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It's usually the innocent that die. We have had a rash of accidents due to speed, impatient people and red light runners. We are a resort town so flatlanders have flocked here to escape the heat.  They pass on no passing zones, passing 3-5 vehicles at a time, turn left invfront of people etc.  May the girls RIP.

Trusted Contributor

The rules for teenage drivers are very different here in FL than they are in MD. We are sticking to the MD rules for our youngest 2 and those they may not be thrilled with it, they are dealing with it.

*You must drivers ed BEFORE anything else

*You must have your permit for a year before receiving your full license

*You must have an adult with you while using your permit

*You must have an adult with you while driving at night and in bad weather

*ONLY YOUR SIBLING WITH YOU AFTER you've been driving 6 months

Now, we've added to the MD rules and made them a bit stricter but overall, that's how it works. In FL, it's a free for all (at least were we live, it is). Smiley Sad

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@debfau wrote:

Here is VA this is what an 18 year old can do as far as driving - Drivers are only allowed to carry one passenger under 18 in the first year of holding a license and the entire Learner's Permit phase. After the first year, drivers may not carry more than three under 18 passengers (note that you can get your licence at 16 in VA so he might have had his licence for over a year already and would have been allowed to have the 3 passengers). 

I do agree that that many under 18 passengers in a car can not be good, too many distractions.

@debfau 

I see nothing mentioned about cell phones, seems strange to me. So an 18 years old in VA is still considered a Minor? Can they join the United States Military?

I am guessing from what you are saying, VA must have very low Auto Insurance rates. 

Were I making the laws, holding a cell phone while driving on a Public Roadway, would be illegal. Ticketed for "visible careless driving". Be involved in a wreck(most are not my definition of an accident), 1st offense would be, in my state, a Class 4 Misdemeanor. The 2nd offense would be a felony, regardless of driver's age.

Yes, I have spent time in both the City and the County Jail cells. I was 16 and 17 years old at those times. Why? Another time!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Used to be, (in the old days), that Males from ages 16+ to 25 had the highest *car insurance rates,* for reason.. "accidents". Soooo many "1st accidents" at that time of their life...

It also used to be that a person with "Learner's Permit," MUST have an adult licensed driver in the car also.  Is this still true?

Do either of these seem to still be true?

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Esteemed Contributor

@TwinkleBell wrote:

Used to be, (in the old days), that Males from ages 16+ to 25 had the highest *car insurance rates,* for reason.. "accidents". Soooo many "1st accidents" at that time of their life...

Told this story here before. Since my mother did not drive, I was automatically put on Risk Insurance. Started in 1955 and just my $500 deductible Liability Insurance was $250 every 3 months. 

It was you were either married, or over 25 years old. Since I wasn't married until I was 62? I had no accidents in those 9 years, and to this year of 2022, I still have never had an accident.

I paid to buy my car, cash, and paid for everything needed to drive my car. 

It also used to be that a person with "Learner's Permit," MUST have an adult licensed driver in the car also.  Is this still true?

Do either of these seem to still be true?

I think these all are up to each state. Where I live you are not considered an adult until age 19. I was able to get my learner's permit when I was 15.5 years old. Had to have a licensed adult in the car when i drove. My older sisters filled that bill.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't think there are any lessons to be learned from this one. Just a horrible tragic mistake and accident.

yes there are lessons to be learned here. Parents take control of what they can and can't do when behind the wheel. Set a good example when you drive and stay off your phone! I understand when they get in the car they can be influenced by their peers. but make them understand that there will be consequences for their actions, and follow thru with the punishment even if it becomes a burden to you. No, this was not an accident, and definately not a mistake,  these teens learn in drivers ed all about speeding and texting while driving, and if they chose to ignore this they made a choice, and should be punished accordingly. we need to stop saying their only teenagers, if you feel that way, then they shouldn't be allowed to get their license! your the parent, be a parent, only you know their maturity level.