Honored Contributor

Re: I heard something quite wonderful the other day

The quilts are very wonderful. They are all made ,entirely by hand. There is no machine stitching anywhere, on any of them

Honored Contributor

How nice for your friend, I hope the 'new' family finding works in her favor and she is not disappointed.....sounds like she deserves some good in her life!

I'd love to find a new family member......mine leaves a lot to be desired...well I have a brother that I am close with.....the others not so much.

Honored Contributor

I think i have heard somewhere about those quilts,  how did your friend come to have them?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Here is one of Sally's quilts. I wish you could see them all. My friend used to give quilt shows ,at libraries ,and churches to share Sally's work

Image result for sally wolff quilts

Oh my, beautiful...I quilt but nothing like this quilt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbestmy friend became interested in quilting. She is a lovely quilter, herself. She was living in Fla, and advertised in the paper,  that she was interested in viewing quilts, if anyone was willing to share their work

Only one person answered the ad ,and it was Sally. Sally was quite a remarkable woman, She in fact was a human quilt factory. She was always quilting and planning her next quilt, buying  fabric, etc. She always made all of her own patterns and she used string and a yardstick to figure out the measurements

Pat told me she would draw little creatures ( chipmunks and birds etc )and embroider them onto the quilts. The astounding thing about her was, she didn't think what she could do ,was at all special. She used to tell Pat, anyone can do this. Pat used to say well ,I can't ,and Pat is a very good needle woman

When Sally passed away she gave all of her quilts to Pat and she has a huge amount of them

Honored Contributor

I believe once we become adults we are in charge of creating our own environment. Your friend evidently knew the way she wanted to live and did something about it. Even though she had a few missteps along the way it all turned out for her.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherryWhat a lovely story. Even in the face of adversity, good things shine through.

So pleased her daughter checked with the adoption people and made contact with your friend! It's a win-win for all family members. I've written about my grandson, who was adopted at birth, and our family's relationship with his birth father's extended family. The open adoption has been such a rewarding experience for all of us.

My grandson is very secure with his own parents, grateful for the adoption and calls his birth father by his first name. His birthfather is musically inclined and a musician in Chicago now. That's where my grandson gets his natural music abilities! His parents have provided the money and lessons to encourage him to take his talents as far as possible. He is really talented and loves it, too. Thrilling to see a young person thrive at something he will enjoy for a lifetime.  

On the other hand, my niece (also adopted), has no clue of her birth parents; her parents are still insecure. She's now in her mid-30's and has questioned her background since early teens. She knows nothing of her medical background or other significant details of her heritage. She was adopted through a private attorney out-of-state. The attorney is now deceased and all records have been destroyed. She has a PhD., but has never dated seriously and has a small group of friends from high school. She and her mom remain best friends. They call each other daily. They arrive at family gatherings together, sit together, visit with each other and leave together! (Kind of like the Bobsey Twins, but 30 years apart.) Don't think my SIL has anything to be worried about! If she knows about the birth parents, I wish she would share any information for my niece's comfort. Never have been a fan of secrets.

Now, time to look up more of those gorgeous quilts! Thanks for a happy-ending story. This is what makes the world go round. Heart

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: I heard somethng quite wonderful the other day

@mimomof4my son is adopted too.He was contacted a couple of years ago by his half sisters.He said he wasn’t interested in meeting them.I told him to tell them that he is happy and doing well and that at this point he isn’t ready to meet.At least that way he leaves the door open and they also know he is okay.He says we are his family but I told him that someday he might want to find out more about them and I am good with that.I feel I owe that and so much more to his birth mom for all of these precious years of joy she entrusted to me.

Honored Contributor

@cherry@That quilt is a thing of beauty.Your friend seems like a kind person.I hope the rest of her life brings only happiness.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

One of my casual friends ,called me ,to tell me she was going to be a Great Grandmother

She had a really sad life. Her parents had a very unhappy marriage, and they used to take off for Fla ,every winter ,and leave their 3 children at home  alone, to fend for them selves ,while they were gone.  Her dad never worried  they could become ill, or injured, or how they would get to school, etc

Her Dad ran around on her mother ,and she just took it, because she had no other resources.

My friend  married ,and that didn't work out . Her husband decided he wanted to recapture lost youth, and became unkempt looking ,he went for the hippy look( not good for an CPA) and started an affair. He even had the gall to suggest my friend allow this, and he would live in her garage . She booted him out

As far as I knew, she was childless, but told me, while  in college ,she had a daughter, and gave her up for adoption.  She left a letter to be given to her child , if she ever requested to know her birth mother.  I guess the child did  want to know her and contacted her n some while ago, saying she had a grandchild

I was so pleased for her when I found out she has a new found family. She is a very nice lady, that has struggled to educate herself.  She had a career in early childhood development , and traveled the world in this capacity She is kind and wise . A few years ago she had some sort of seizure, and was in a terrible  car accident. It has taken her a couple of years to get back her mobility..

I guess I am trying to say, that your best time, might be right around the corner ,and  you will know happiness, you never thought was possible

Its a Christmas story ,of sorts , if you wish to take it that way. But every word is true.

My friend  has a fantastic  collection of handmade quilts. left to her by a friend . If you google Sally Wolff quilts, you might find some of her work online.  I have never seen any that were more beautiful, and Pat is leaving them to a museum.

All stories with a happy ending are very welcome on this thread

@cherry

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story, Cherry!  You are one thoughtful lady!! 16x16_heart.png16x16_heart.png16x16_heart.png