Honored Contributor

Re: I hear this often and it bothers me!

[ Edited ]

lulu2 wrote:

elaine8812 wrote:

Here's one....mines.  Example:  I bought mines at the store.

This reminded me of an incident I had during my teaching career.  Although I taught math, a student asked me to proof read a family history assignment. Her history began with her grandfather who "worked in the minds of Whales."

Ok, I hope you don't mind but that (bolded by me) made me laugh.   That's one of the best examples of that sort of word mix-up I've heard in a long time.   Thanks for the chuckle.  I actually really did need it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Imperative also means crucial.  Of vital importance.  I still feel how something is said is... crucial.  Of vital importance.

How it is said is not just about grammar.  What good is perfect grammar if you don't know what you're talking about?

Numerous innovators in America had difficulty writing clearly due to learning disabilities.  Einstein didn't speak for several years as a child and was one of them.

I had an Uncle who was , literally, a rocket scientist. He worked for NASA. But he had a Pittsburgh accent and he was a horrible speller. That did not stop him from being a brillant scientist and an amazing man.

Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc wrote:

Noel 7 there are some exceptions to every rule, but there are more individuals lacking from basic common sense, as well as having failed deplorably relative to learning, and practicing proper English during their educational years.

As for the brain you don't have to be Einstein to know how to apply yourself and practice what you were taught, especially with regards to reading, writing, basic arithmetic, and public interaction.

Good skill are taught in by licensed well educated Teachers, and Professors.

Of course there are also special need classes for those less less fortunate, but I also was not referring to that group.

I was referring to the overall general issue, and also not referring to isolated medical brain related abnormalities.

@adoreqvc

Many children with LD will fail "deplorably relative to learning, and practicing proper English during their educational years." 

That's my point.  They also usually fail socially because they are often picked on by other children.

Re: "As for the brain you don't have to be Einstein to know how to apply yourself and practice what you were taught, especially with regards to reading, writing, basic arithmetic, and public interaction."

Sorry, but that is absolutely not true.  In fact, it's backwards, ignoring the fact that it has nothing to do with applying themselves. 

PLease read the information provided and highlighted in blue from the NIH.  It makes it obvious we are not talking about "isolated medical brain related abnormalities."

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

When I was a senior in high school, I was editor of the school newspaper, and I also had a weekly column in the local paper about special events in high schools in our area.  One time, I interviewed the principal of a school in his office.  During the conversation, he said "you's guys," and when he spelled out someone's name for me, he pronounced the letter, "H," "heych."  I don't expect the plumber to have perfect grammar, but a high school principal?  I'd equate that with a priest cursing on the altar.  The funny thing is, my sister's high school sweetheart, who spoke similarly, is now principal of that school!

Peter, I wonder if that HS Principal was from Pennsylvania.  We have an whole area in our state where people say heych instead of H.  We know immediately where they are from.  I have never heard anyone from another area use that pronounaction before.

@Carmie Yes, it was!  I'm from NEPA.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Imperative also means crucial.  Of vital importance.  I still feel how something is said is... crucial.  Of vital importance.

How it is said is not just about grammar.  What good is perfect grammar if you don't know what you're talking about?

Numerous innovators in America had difficulty writing clearly due to learning disabilities.  Einstein didn't speak for several years as a child and was one of them.

I had an Uncle who was , literally, a rocket scientist. He worked for NASA. But he had a Pittsburgh accent and he was a horrible speller. That did not stop him from being a brillant scientist and an amazing man.

@151949

Thank you for the excellent example!

Honored Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

When I was a senior in high school, I was editor of the school newspaper, and I also had a weekly column in the local paper about special events in high schools in our area.  One time, I interviewed the principal of a school in his office.  During the conversation, he said "you's guys," and when he spelled out someone's name for me, he pronounced the letter, "H," "heych."  I don't expect the plumber to have perfect grammar, but a high school principal?  I'd equate that with a priest cursing on the altar.  The funny thing is, my sister's high school sweetheart, who spoke similarly, is now principal of that school!

Peter, I wonder if that HS Principal was from Pennsylvania.  We have an whole area in our state where people say heych instead of H.  We know immediately where they are from.  I have never heard anyone from another area use that pronounaction before.

@Carmie Yes, it was!  I'm from NEPA.

Ha!  The principal was from Tamaqua, PA

I spent over 20 years talking to people from all over the USA on the phone.  I can identify many regional quirks of the English language.  I love them all.

Honored Contributor

@sunsetblvd wrote:

This will probably be viewed as a "run on" sentence, but maybe if you had chosen to use your credentials instead of putting it in a drawer, this problem could have been drastically reduced.  I went to nursing school to help people.  I'm so glad I didn't stick in a drawer and then complain about sick people.

What I said was that I chose not to teach English in the public school system. I also wrote that when I turned in my final grades at the end of student teaching my master teacher told me that illiterate students – students who were 18 and still couldn’t read or write – had to graduate.  I said that I was told not to worry about them because they would be “taken care of.”  She assumed girls would marry and be taken care of by their husbands; others would be taken care of by taxpayers; some would be taken care of by the criminal justice system.  My, what high standards she set for her students. 

I used my education in a variety of ways, including training adults in other fields. I have also volunteered as a tutor in a local literacy program to teach adults how to read and to teach English as a second language.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@151949

Spelling and a regional accent have nothing to do with poor grammar.  Poor grammar has nothing to do with intelligence either.

Starting a sentence with Him.... As in "Him and me are going out tonight" is an example of poor grammar.  It's easy to spell and can be said with an accent, but is still poor grammar and sounds awful.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@151949

Spelling and a regional accent have nothing to do with poor grammar.  Poor grammar has nothing to do with intelligence either.

Starting a sentence with Him.... As in "Him and me are going out tonight" is an example of poor grammar.  It's easy to spell and can be said with an accent, but is still poor grammar and sounds awful.

You just saw one example presented here about the principal and his regional accent.

I don't believe anyone here said poor grammar was about intelligence.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@sunsetblvd wrote:

This will probably be viewed as a "run on" sentence, but maybe if you had chosen to use your credentials instead of putting it in a drawer, this problem could have been drastically reduced.  I went to nursing school to help people.  I'm so glad I didn't stick in a drawer and then complain about sick people.

What I said was that I chose not to teach English in the public school system. I also wrote that when I turned in my final grades at the end of student teaching my master teacher told me that illiterate students – students who were 18 and still couldn’t read or write – had to graduate.  I said that I was told not to worry about them because they would be “taken care of.”  She assumed girls would marry and be taken care of by their husbands; others would be taken care of by taxpayers; some would be taken care of by the criminal justice system.  My, what high standards she set for her students. 

I used my education in a variety of ways, including training adults in other fields. I have also volunteered as a tutor in a local literacy program to teach adults how to read and to teach English as a second language.

@just bee

Re: illiteracy, there are students in some schools with individual plans who are allowed to have oral tests.  I knew one boy with that proviso in his IEP.  Graduating high school, his written work was terrible.

He still has the same issues but is now a well known and respected attorney.