Honored Contributor

Re: I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

@chickenbutt

It's my right hand and fingers that wave off into the stratosphere, but so far I am managing by typing slowly on an ergonomic keyboard.  I have two fingers on the right hand that go out of joint and two on the left hand which is not bent to the left yet, but I see it coming.  So far, I can manage to pop them back in, but it's becoming more painful to do so.

I was able to print 21 thank you notes last week, but it took hours.  My daughter wrote the addresses, thankfully.  There is simply no script writing anymore, and my signature is unrecognizable to me.  Part of that may be age, but mostly it is the disfigurement.

I may have told you I came down with RA late at 66, but it advanced fast.  I can't imagine having had it from your young age of 39.  Sounds as though you've done beautifully. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

Always felt safe and good in my environment.....  This is coming from someone who is against feeling fear and letting fear rule your life.....

But, I am starting to feel less and less safe these days...

.... I worry about my home being robbed when I am away from home... ( gosh really even when home with all these home invasion robberies!)

I worry about people texting while driving and being high oh drugs and alcohol when I am driving  on the roads... 

I worry about getting shot up by some crazy lunatic  when I get to my destination...

It just seems easier to stay home... and order what I need online. My "SAFE" world has become more like a nightmare anymore.   

@SeaMaiden

Staying home, limiting going out, is telling you there is a problem.  If that doesn’t change, you might consider discussing it with your doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

I lived and worked in Karlsruhe Germany at the height of a terrorist crisis (my boss's child walked right by a bloody body in the street).  Twice I was at a particular Officers Club the night before the facility was bombed.  You live your life and take your chances.

Esteemed Contributor

Things I have found helpful:

Cover yourself spiritually.

Be grateful for what you have.

Find something you are passionate about, something you love making - be engrossed in that daily.

Being interested in something you can work on makes the day fly by.

There is no time to sit and worry, if you are busy.

Trusted Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@SeaMaiden  that is a slippery slope to embark on. I would not go down that road. People who give in to that type of thiking, can become a recluse. It isn't really healthy

If you can't shake it talk to your DR

@cherry  Your advice is spot on. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden....I have experienced a home invasion first hand, so I understand your fear. There is so much theft and other crimes happening more than ever. Seeing my doctor isn't going to help that as some have suggested. All they want to do is hand out RX's. (Eye roll).

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I don't worry about anything...my Faith keep's me from worry...I wish you peace and happiness..

Trusted Contributor

@jubilantwrote:

All we can do is be as diligent as we can.  Worrying will not change one day in your life. I mean a plane could crash into my house today!  You do what you can and leave the rest to God....at least that's how I handle it.  We had a sudden explosion at our house. It burned to the ground.  Thankfully, we got out.  DH dropped to the floor of our neighbors garage....Laughing and talking (cardiac arrest)  They lost him at least 6 times that I know of.  He was given a 4 in 100 chance to live....he made it!  Our son was critically injured when he was 19.  He made it!  I had a 2 heart attacks very unexpectedly that led to open heart surgery....I made it!  It just wasn't our time and, when it is, there is nothing we can do about it.  I do understand fear and, of course, I have had some. We are all just human so don't feel guilty. I am learning that fear and worry will take years off your life.  If you can't get it under control, I suggest seeing a doctor. Stress can kill.

@jubilant You & your family are amazing as is your post! 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

It sounds like you need a therapist.

Sounds like something you would say. 

Esteemed Contributor

We all have anxiety at times and fears.  I just keep going one leap at a time. None of us are really safe but to worry about it takes the fun out of life.  I prefer just to call today the FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF  MY LIFE... and just ENJOY what I can.