Trusted Contributor

Re: I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

@SeaMaiden  As I get older I too am slightly more apprehensive because I know that my reflexes are not as fast, my body doesn't move as quickly, my neck hurts a bit and can't really look quickly from side to side without some pain.  But I also had an exam that included a stress test and my confidence level has been bolstered, for the time being anyway.  I'm stretching and exercising each day to keep the kinks out of my body etc and knowing that I have a strong heart as told by my cardiologist really helped.  I still use my indoor trampoline 6 days a week and have not come down with the flu for 2017-2018.  Every single thing we do to help ourselves, boosts our confidence level.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Anxiety disorders are incredibly common for women, it's nothing to be ashamed of or to ignore.

I looked for a basic introduction to the issue, here's one from Women's Health, Department of Health and Human Services, the information given might help understand what is going on and what can be done about it:

https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/anxiety-disorders

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has your neighborhood had a number of break-ins recently, @SeaMaiden?  If so, step up your plans to buy a *retirement* home.

Me?  I’m terrified of falling and after my recent fall I have to push myself to get out and not become housebound.  It helps that my husband is always happy to do something with me.  Hopefully, yours is, too. 

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

Has your neighborhood had a number of break-ins recently, @SeaMaiden?  If so, step up your plans to buy a *retirement* home.

Me?  I’m terrified of falling and after my recent fall I have to push myself to get out and not become housebound.  It helps that my husband is always happy to do something with me.  Hopefully, yours is, too. 

@tansy

I don't know if I knew of your fall, I had one also, the end of last September.  Still in a walker, I'm not healing much.  Wow, fear of falling is right, I'm with you there.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

Always felt safe and good in my environment.....  This is coming from someone who is against feeling fear and letting fear rule your life.....

But, I am starting to feel less and less safe these days...

.... I worry about my home being robbed when I am away from home... ( gosh really even when home with all these home invasion robberies!)

I worry about people texting while driving and being high oh drugs and alcohol when I am driving  on the roads... 

I worry about getting shot up by some crazy lunatic  when I get to my destination...

It just seems easier to stay home... and order what I need online. My "SAFE" world has become more like a nightmare anymore.   

Are you watching too much news?  I stopped watching the news on tv.  I feel better.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@tansywrote:

@tansy

I don't know if I knew of your fall, I had one also, the end of last September.  Still in a walker, I'm not healing much.  Wow, fear of falling is right, I'm with you there.

Ten years ago, @Noel7, I fell off a bike and fractured my left arm so badly I had to have a shoulder replacement which limited my ROM and always, always aches.  

This last time I fell in the library, after checking out hand embroidery books, 😏.   I had the same fracture as before and am recovering from another shoulder replacement.  It’s my right, dominant, arm.  

I’m two months out from the fall and six weeks out from the surgery.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@tansywrote:

@tansy

((Noel!!))    

I'll tell ya both - One thing that I have been terrified about for a while now is if he dies before I do, since I can no longer support myself.   So, I sock away money as much as I can and, well, of course I wouldn't want him to die anyway but it's just another thing to be scared about.

But since I broke my arm last September, I am absolutely, positively scared to death of falling again!     It's the kind of thing you don't ever think about until you have to be terrified of it.  I told my husband that if I ever fall again and break more bones (broke two in that deal), just please put me out of my misery because I don't want to go through it again.    6 months later  I'm not doing well so I'm really over this whole thing.

Honored Contributor

It’s so morbid, @chickenbutt, but if there had been a *just-die-now* button to push when I fell the second time ...

I don’t know how I would have managed if it weren’t for my husband.  I hate being dependent though.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbuttwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@tansywrote:

@tansy

((Noel!!))    

I'll tell ya both - One thing that I have been terrified about for a while now is if he dies before I do, since I can no longer support myself.   So, I sock away money as much as I can and, well, of course I wouldn't want him to die anyway but it's just another thing to be scared about.

But since I broke my arm last September, I am absolutely, positively scared to death of falling again!     It's the kind of thing you don't ever think about until you have to be terrified of it.  I told my husband that if I ever fall again and break more bones (broke two in that deal), just please put me out of my misery because I don't want to go through it again.    6 months later  I'm not doing well so I'm really over this whole thing.

I hear you @chickenbutt  my friend.  I also got a concussion in the fall, a lot of flesh ripped off my arm, and my legs were damaged. The right one includes the knee and a continually swollen and painful calf.

I crawled on my side to my phone, then to the front door to let in the paramedics.  DH had been ill, was dizzy, I went to steady him and he fell totally on top of me, head to foot.  He's a foot taller than I am, thankfully  he's not a heavy guy.  They said falling on my body protected him from harm.  Glad to be of help. LOL.  Actually, I am glad he wasn't hurt.

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@tansywrote:

@tansy

Ten years ago, @Noel7, I fell off a bike and fractured my left arm so badly I had to have a shoulder replacement which limited my ROM and always, always aches.  

This last time I fell in the library, after checking out hand embroidery books, 😏.   I had the same fracture as before and am recovering from another shoulder replacement.  It’s my right, dominant, arm.  

I’m two months out from the fall and six weeks out from the surgery.  

@tansy

How awful for you @tansy   And continual pain is so exhausting.  I have a right arm shoulder injury, too, from when I was in the hospital last year.  They gave me opioids it was so bad. 

Gee, I hope the new surgery is better than the first one Heart