Valued Contributor

Re: I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

@SeaMaiden

It truly sounds like you have anxiety.  We all know that asking for G-d's protection always and everywhere is what to do....BUT sometimes we must seek outside help. 

We are not meant to live like that.  

I think you might do well with an anti-anxiety med.    I lived with anxiety for so many years.  I thought it was just part of who I am; i.e., my personality.  But, we awere not created to live in that fearful state.  

Just make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her how you currently feel about things.  You aren't alone at all, @SeaMaiden.  

Also, whenever I start to watch the news, politics, and all that goes on in the world, I can feel myself getting upset.  I just stop watching and find something else.  Tere are so many other things to watch on TV.  I switch to QVC.  Years ago, I used to watch the weather channel, but now they show hurricanes and other violent weather, so forget about that.  

Also, playing music is very soothing. 

Many people are responding to you.  I hope you choose the advice that you feel is is relevant and meant to help you and follow through.

Respected Contributor

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. I repeat this at least once a day. Fear will rob you of your life.

Super Contributor

Sign of getting older. Many elderly are afraid. Especially if they spend a lot of time indoors watching +/or listening to TV & the news. Get outside. Enjoy springSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Of course, .your feelings are valid because there are a lot of dangers out there. It has always been so. The dangers simply change with time. The other thing that changes is how one views them, especially if one is retired or not working outside the home. Studies have shown that those who stay home and consume a "diet" heavy on the news of each day become more fearful. The news is inherently negative because it is, by design, about the exceptions. Good weather and the millions of people who go about their business without harm every day are not news. So, yes, you are right that there are big dangers in the world, but you may be overestimating it if you stay home and read or watch too many news reports. I am a news junkie, but I balance that with loads of other things.

Honored Contributor

I know there are dangers outside my door, some near and some far. Heck, I still have three bullet holes in the siding of my house that I need to repair. Flying bullets are not uncommon around here so I have come to ignore the sound of gunshots in my neighborhood. I choose not to live in fear and I have invested my time and money to take the best precautions that I find necessary to live my life the way I want to. For me it's about defending yourself and not about running for cover or hiding out...but I will only if I have to.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Just wondering if you are close to or in menopause.  I have had panic attacks ever since puberty, but during menopause they increased so significantly that I had to take Xanax every day.  I will say the panic attacks ceased and I've never had another one.  Believe me, I am NOT one to push drugs!  I just hate to see someone suffer if it's from a physical or health cause. 

To me, the world has always been a scary place.  I don't worry for myself (especially now) but I do worry for my children, grandchildren and beyond when I won't be here to help them.  So I understand your anxiety, I really do.

However, have yourself checked out for a physical cause because there may be help for you, not necessarily the one chosen for me . . . your doctor, if you trust her (or him) can run some tests, etc., just to rule out any illness or the anxiety that comes with hormonal changes.

Sending you my best thoughts for a solution real soon.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Sea Maiden,

You've mentioned before that you watch a lot of TV and that you leave your house only occasionally.  That kind of isolation can make feelings of fear magnified.

It's difficult initially,  but try going out a little bit every day. Go get a coffee. Go to the library. Join an exercise class. Work yourself into going out for lunch by yourself. Going to a movie alone.  

The fear of these things dissipate the more you do them. Pretty soon, you feel strong and confident. I've always had a fear of freeway driving. I've forced myself to do it and while I still don't love it, I can manage just fine. I drove 4 hours by myself to a friend's summer home. 

If you find yourself more and more paralyzed by your fear, it may be time to seek help. This world is far more beautiful than frightening. You are too young to not take part in it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden, I totally understand and believe your concerns are reasonable. I certainly do not think you need a therapist or drugs to deal with what is real in the world today. Do the things you enjoy and avoid what triggers fear. I like to take walks, read, listen to music, go to my exercise classes on Tues. and Thur., and go to the library. I go to church and out for breakfast or lunch with friends, and go on one day trips. When summer arrives I will attend some of our plays and concerts in the park. I tend to stay rather close to home, but certainly don't consider myself a recluse. Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I understand your feelings.   I don't have all the answers, so I won't pretend that I do.   I guess you just plug along and try to make yourself feel as safe as possible.

Conversely, I grew up never feeling safe.  I do not recall any time during my childhood when I felt safe.  Consequently, I grew up with an exaggerated feeling of not feeling safe.    Some of my nightmares were about me going around the house (whatever house I lived in, in my dream, as everything in my dreams is composite) trying to close up and lock up everything.  It was like I just kept going and going and going and it was never all locked up.   I've had that one well into adulthood.

At 63, I mostly feel safe now.  But I'm not out and about anymore.  I had decades of being social, entertaining, and enjoying all of that.  But now I'm mostly at home.   You better bet that every window and door in my house is locked six ways to Sunday.

Before the armchair psychologists show up to tell people like me that we are just stupid crazy idiots, no need.   People are conditioned through their formative years and there will always be things that become a part of us and we just deal with them.  Ok, well I'm probably a little crazy.  I have PTSD and clinical depression.   But a big part of getting on in the world is gaining the tools to deal with your stuff, yes?  Smiley Happy   That's what I do.

I hope you find a foothold where you can feel more safe and comfortable.  Trust me, it's not fun to always feel unsafe.    Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

Always felt safe and good in my environment.....  This is coming from someone who is against feeling fear and letting fear rule your life.....

But, I am starting to feel less and less safe these days...

.... I worry about my home being robbed when I am away from home... ( gosh really even when home with all these home invasion robberies!)

I worry about people texting while driving and being high oh drugs and alcohol when I am driving  on the roads... 

I worry about getting shot up by some crazy lunatic  when I get to my destination...

It just seems easier to stay home... and order what I need online. My "SAFE" world has become more like a nightmare anymore.   

@SeaMaiden

You are describing a common anxiety problem many women deal with.  If it's more than passing for you, there are medications that can help. 

I can point you to reading material if you wish.  Let me know, I wish you the best.