Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have a great idea for an Online home business

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Get on social media.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...for a start.

Talk about your product.

If it’s your passion & not a ‘job’, talking about it will reward you ten-fold. 

Doesn’t matter who else is doing it.

A racehorse doesn’t look around or behind him to see

what the competition is. 

@sidsmom    just where do you talk about your product? What social media... and how would you approach talking about it?  I have the Face Book - Twitter account... only use them for entering contests really... not for friends etc. 

@SeaMaiden

Instagram, Instastories, hashtags, for a start.

Twitter, as well.

Search out who your product is for & converse with them.

Have to make a strong presence on social media.

That’s the World we live in today. 

Yes, that's true.  Absolutely.  But not now.  It's way too early for her to be doing that.  She'd be doing damage to her own idea before even getting started.  Later, yes - for sure.  But not until her idea is protected.

Honored Contributor

Don't forget...a lot of people said, "why didn't I think of that?!!" when Post-Its came out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have an online, home business. We started it 42 years ago. Yup you have to get your name and idea licensed, that's a must! Now, with the help of the world of the internet, our business has flourished! We do some shows throughout the year but we mostly do online sales. Business is good and 2018 was our best year yet!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden,  when evaluating the advice offered take into consideration exactly what your idea is.  Are your thinking a service or a product? 

While this thread contains a lot of very good advice most seems to lean toward a product business and may not apply to a service.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I am sure you can buy all the expertise that you need. I would start with google ,( for research) and then seek out professional advice ,from someone ,in the real world

Don't

advertise ,what you don't have. Waiting until you have a product up and running. You need a game plan

You can buy website creators, and  people who will help you if ,you need it. Your husband can always take some courses ,to handle that part, if he is willing. Don't be discouraged,,build a better mousetrap ,and best of luck to you

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden - I will also add, if you are doing this business venture via on-line ordering, you need to have a Web designer. Also, if  you have come up with a name for your company, your attorney will need to check and make sure there aren't other companies with that name.

I have an on-line shop and I will tell you I work harder than I did when I worked Corporate. If you are not computer savvy, you had better get savvy. If this business involves product, you will need to know your inventory, etc. I knew nothing about "back of store" but I sure do now. In fact, that's where my work is done on a daily basis. If you choose not to "load" inventory, pictures/descriptions, pricing, weight (for shipping), etc. you will have to pay someone else to do it.

If you are shipping product, you should have an account with an online shipping service so you can print labels, etc. You will also need shipping materials - envelopes or boxes, etc.

You have not really given us much to go on so it is hard to give you an accurate idea of what you might need.

Super Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

can Ideas be patented?

The short answer is no. Unfortunately, despite what you may have heard from late night television commercials, there is no effective way to protect an idea with any form of intellectual property protection. Copyrights protect expression and creativity, not innovation.  Patents protect inventions.

Neither copyrights nor patents protect ideas.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/11/17/protecting-idea-can-ideas-be-patented/id=103389/

@CatsyCline@ Is 100% correct...IDEAS cannot be legally protected..example Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story (same plot idea..different names,venues, circumstaces).  Example @2: Condiments..there re many brands of mustard, ketchup, mayo...same idea but no inherent legal problem.  However, companies my trademark name of product and patent specific technologies to produce product. Also, labeling design and names of products & Companies ARE protected. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

If the idea is not in the  marketplace, I would speak with a Lawyer first.

@mimomof4  @Laura14 Thanks.  I will do more online research.... see what like it could  out there...  No rush... just an idea.    I get ideas and just never move on them.... because I think I do not know how.  Maybe 2019 is the year to get a move on Smiley Happy 

@SeaMaiden

I know you don't want to disclose what the idea is .... but is it a product or a service

What you do next might depend on that.  It never hurts to do a first draft of a business plan ... putting the steps down on paper seems to nudge things along and with your thought process.

Super Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden - I will also add, if you are doing this business venture via on-line ordering, you need to have a Web designer. Also, if  you have come up with a name for your company, your attorney will need to check and make sure there aren't other companies with that name.

I have an on-line shop and I will tell you I work harder than I did when I worked Corporate. If you are not computer savvy, you had better get savvy. If this business involves product, you will need to know your inventory, etc. I knew nothing about "back of store" but I sure do now. In fact, that's where my work is done on a daily basis. If you choose not to "load" inventory, pictures/descriptions, pricing, weight (for shipping), etc. you will have to pay someone else to do it.

@riley1. Your reply was so informative....May I ask:

(1) HOW did you become computer savvy? Did you hire a mentor? Take classes? 

(2) HOW did your learn about the “back of store” operations...trial & error? Hiring a consultant?  

Thanks