Honored Contributor

Re: I have a great idea for an Online home business

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I work in the Intellectual Propery Field of law, i.e. patents, trademarks, copyrights and you're very first step would be to have a consultation with an IP attorney.  Most firms are willing to speak with you for a nominal fee.  Upon your first disclosure of your "idea" or "invention" if you will, they will have a sense if they feel it to be novel or not.  If so, the next step would be to perform a novelty search in the various government offices to see if there is any prior art related to the subject or field of scope.

You will not be misguided by counsel and your case will be handled with the utmost discretion you are seeking.  Please know, IF your idea is deemed unique based on the prior art search and that which is uncovered, the expenses going forward will be substantial.  You and your attorney can discuss whether or not it would be profitable to pursue a patent, servicemark or other secured entity.  

One word of advice - Intellectual Property is extremely specialized and should only be handled by a firm that practices this area exclusively.  As you might imagine, it is a very lucrative field of law.  

Good Luck in your future efforts!

@fitfuninformed   Thanks so much... Something I have NEVER  heard of... You are a wealth of information and I imagine educated as well by your post.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It came to me this morning.... the more I think about it... I see it as something that many people would be interested in.  I am not a business person... so I am not sure just how to start it.  I suppose I should write down all my thoughts on how it would work..  Map our just where it could go...

If you were me, and had what you thought was a good idea that would help many people( including myself)... and might be a profitable idea..... what would your first step be?

As I said I am not a computer "person".  My husband could help out a lot... but, who(other than DH) would I run my idea by without giving the idea away?

What is my first step AFTER THE IDEA IS CLEAR. 

@SeaMaiden

I think the first thing I would do is submit my idea, plans, etc., to the Patent Office.

That way you can confirm that there is not a current patent on the same idea and if not, you can file for a patent on your idea before you promote it, so no one else can 'steal' your idea.

A Patent attorney would probably be helpful to guide you through the process.

Good luck on your 'idea' being a huge success! Look how many made it good on 'Shark Tank'.

Keep us posted!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Go for it @SeaMaiden!

But please, please take the advice of @Laura14 .  Research is not only critical to see if your idea has ever been done before, but it is also an excellent learning tool so you can gain great tools and connections to ease your start-up.  It will also avoid mistakes others have made in similar circumstances.  Good luck!! 

Trusted Contributor

One additional word of advice - no disrespect to @sidsmom but 'social media' is the very LAST place to be verbal.  You can LOOK, but do not disclose anything.  That would be your ultimate demise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Get on social media.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...for a start.

Talk about your product.

If it’s your passion & not a ‘job’, talking about it will reward you ten-fold. 

Doesn’t matter who else is doing it.

A racehorse doesn’t look around or behind him to see

what the competition is. 

@sidsmom    just where do you talk about your product? What social media... and how would you approach talking about it?  I have the Face Book - Twitter account... only use them for entering contests really... not for friends etc. 

@SeaMaiden

Instagram, Instastories, hashtags, for a start.

Twitter, as well.

Search out who your product is for & converse with them.

Have to make a strong presence on social media.

That’s the World we live in today. 

I’ve been watching ALOT of GaryVee (Gary Vaynerchuk)

lately for personal growth, but he’s a Social Media Entrepreneur.

Might want to check him out.

Warning...he’s not for the faint of heart but he’ll cut through the BS

and empower you.  

PS...I’m not going to even pretend I know anything about

entrepreneur endeavors but read, educate, learn, listen.

Soak everything up. Good luck! 🌼💛

ETA:  I would never, in the History of Ever, have a bunch of

corporate suits dictate if my dream is ‘novel’ or not.  

If it’s your PASSION, you’ll make it. 

Honored Contributor

Start with Why

https://youtu.be/u4ZoJKF_VuA

81FF96E1-CDE7-4F54-8740-C2CAB7A04A16.jpeg

Steve Jobs made the blueprint of today’s business.

Creating a product that people want to buy without you asking

for their business. And Social Media is today’s billboard &

print catalogs of yesteryear.  

I saw this this on Twitter recently. It’s so true.

010DD892-92ED-4B99-BE5E-35DAD4B05C59.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Get on social media.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...for a start.

Talk about your product.

If it’s your passion & not a ‘job’, talking about it will reward you ten-fold. 

Doesn’t matter who else is doing it.

A racehorse doesn’t look around or behind him to see

what the competition is. 

That's not where you start. Don't talk about your product or your business until you have a product or a business. If all you have is an idea and it's a good one, you will soon have a stolen idea. 

If you're in the idea stage, you need to investigte the market and the finances and create a business plan. Do you need permits? Insurance? Can you do it yourself or will you need to outsource development or prototypes? If you move forward, you will need consider things like trademarking a name, forming a legal company on paper, etc., to protect your investment.

A good place to start is probably the local library. I bet they have a lot of books about starting a business.

Honored Contributor

Good luck with the new venture!!

Honored Contributor

If you talk about your product, does that not give someone else the chance to one-up-you.  I would just do it rather than talk about it.

Respected Contributor

can Ideas be patented?

The short answer is no. Unfortunately, despite what you may have heard from late night television commercials, there is no effective way to protect an idea with any form of intellectual property protection. Copyrights protect expression and creativity, not innovation.  Patents protect inventions.

Neither copyrights nor patents protect ideas.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/11/17/protecting-idea-can-ideas-be-patented/id=103389/