Honored Contributor

I have a great idea for an Online home business

It came to me this morning.... the more I think about it... I see it as something that many people would be interested in.  I am not a business person... so I am not sure just how to start it.  I suppose I should write down all my thoughts on how it would work..  Map our just where it could go...

If you were me, and had what you thought was a good idea that would help many people( including myself)... and might be a profitable idea..... what would your first step be?

As I said I am not a computer "person".  My husband could help out a lot... but, who(other than DH) would I run my idea by without giving the idea away?

What is my first step AFTER THE IDEA IS CLEAR. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I have a great idea for an Online home business

See who else is doing it or something similar.  You need to see who your competition is and what the market rate is and anything else you can get from their experiences.  

Honored Contributor

I do not think there is anything like it....YET

Trusted Contributor

If the idea is not in the  marketplace, I would speak with a Lawyer first.

Honored Contributor

Get on social media.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...for a start.

Talk about your product.

If it’s your passion & not a ‘job’, talking about it will reward you ten-fold. 

Doesn’t matter who else is doing it.

A racehorse doesn’t look around or behind him to see

what the competition is. 

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

If the idea is not in the  marketplace, I would speak with a Lawyer first.

@mimomof4  @Laura14 Thanks.  I will do more online research.... see what like it could  out there...  No rush... just an idea.    I get ideas and just never move on them.... because I think I do not know how.  Maybe 2019 is the year to get a move on Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  No disrespect at all but I highly doubt that. It's been a long, long time since someone has truly invented another wheel.  

You need to really look hard because there always something similar to what's being done.  It just may be being done in a slightly different way and you don't realize it or in a forum you are not familiar with. 

If you are not a computer person, you need to become one.  It's very important because you don't want to step on anyone's trademarks or copyrights or even more importantly waste your time and money.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden,

Confide in someone you can trust, check out the market, and, don't wait too long. Consider funding, if necessary, and,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UWjj226WmAM/Tcq4sPApbUI/AAAAAAAAAyY/KF_rBtuvfBk/s1600/Good+luck+smiley.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Get on social media.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook...for a start.

Talk about your product.

If it’s your passion & not a ‘job’, talking about it will reward you ten-fold. 

Doesn’t matter who else is doing it.

A racehorse doesn’t look around or behind him to see

what the competition is. 

@sidsmom    just where do you talk about your product? What social media... and how would you approach talking about it?  I have the Face Book - Twitter account... only use them for entering contests really... not for friends etc. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  I work in the Intellectual Propery Field of law, i.e. patents, trademarks, copyrights and your very first step would be to have a consultation with an IP attorney.  Most firms are willing to speak with you for a nominal fee.  Upon your first disclosure of your "idea" or "invention" if you will, they will have a sense if they feel it to be novel or not.  If so, the next step would be to perform a novelty search in the various government offices to see if there is any prior art related to the subject or field of scope.

You will not be misguided by counsel and your case will be handled with the utmost discretion you are seeking.  Please know, IF your idea is deemed unique based on the prior art search and that which is uncovered, the expenses going forward will be substantial.  You and your attorney can discuss whether or not it would be profitable to pursue a patent, servicemark or other secured entity.  

One word of advice - Intellectual Property is extremely specialized and should only be handled by a firm that practices this area exclusively.  As you might imagine, it is a very lucrative field of law.  

Good Luck in your future efforts!