Honored Contributor

Once a year I go to the ear doctor for a check-up and usually a cleaning.  Not wax, but generally my ear canal flakes and the a few flakes will actually get stuck to the eardrum.  Anyways, they called recently to let me know they would have to reschedule me once they found out when they could open again.  I was actually surprised they called at all.  I knew everything was closed, even Dr. offices for routine stuff.  Well, today they called and said they have been informed that they could open for limited operations.  I have an appointment for Monday morning.

This is how they will be operating.  I must wear a mask and they will check my temperature when I come in.  They will only be seeing a limited number of patients a day.  After I check in, I will return to my car and wait for them to call me back in for my appointment. 

Not sure exactly how this is going to work.  The doctor has 2 offices and the one I normally go to will not be open for the forseeable future.  The other office, which I have never been to, is in a multi-level building.  If I remember correctly from when I broke my arm years ago, there is an entrance on each level coming off a multi-level parking garage.  I have no idea which level his office is on.  Surely, they will text or call me to come in rather than try to find me sitting in my car.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

My hubby had a dermotologist appointment that was run the exact same way 

@Icegoddess wrote:

Once a year I go to the ear doctor for a check-up and usually a cleaning.  Not wax, but generally my ear canal flakes and the a few flakes will actually get stuck to the eardrum.  Anyways, they called recently to let me know they would have to reschedule me once they found out when they could open again.  I was actually surprised they called at all.  I knew everything was closed, even Dr. offices for routine stuff.  Well, today they called and said they have been informed that they could open for limited operations.  I have an appointment for Monday morning.

This is how they will be operating.  I must wear a mask and they will check my temperature when I come in.  They will only be seeing a limited number of patients a day.  After I check in, I will return to my car and wait for them to call me back in for my appointment. 

Not sure exactly how this is going to work.  The doctor has 2 offices and the one I normally go to will not be open for the forseeable future.  The other office, which I have never been to, is in a multi-level building.  If I remember correctly from when I broke my arm years ago, there is an entrance on each level coming off a multi-level parking garage.  I have no idea which level his office is on.  Surely, they will text or call me to come in rather than try to find me sitting in my car.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I just saw my endochronolgist this morning.  No temperatures were taken.

It was just like always.  I went in, signed the paper with my name.

Everything was the same.  My Dr didn't wear a mask and some of his people did and some didn't.

I kept my mask on most of the time, but I took it down a few times.

Not a big deal.  There was an elderly couple in the waiting room and an elderly lady sitting by herself.  The waiting room is large so we weren't near each other.

Then they left and another two loan males came in.  Everyone was well over 50-60.

Like I said, no difference.

Esteemed Contributor

DH had an emergency dermatology apt this morning (eczema flare up).  We waited in car until he was called in. Originally they wanted to do a video conference but some of his serious flare up is skin colored.  This worked very well and they threw in a tube of eucrista (hundreds of dollars to buy).

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  my friend works in a OBGYN office and this is how they did it.  Patients wait in the car and they are texted to come in for the appt and taken back.  

I have a question for you....I have never heard of ear flakes?  Could I ask what they do to remove them??  I have issues with my left ear and it is always gets plugged up with wax...and I also have lost about 30% of my balance function in that ear.  I suffer with vertigo attacks and so on.  I was just curious is all....as I feel like a puppy every few months that needs my ears unclogged!

Honored Contributor

I'm new to my area, and can't see a doctor for any reason (except emergencies) at this time. I'd be okay with those restrictions 

Honored Contributor

You can buy those ear cleaning sticks called Clinere at Walmart. 8-10 in a box.   They're good.

Super Contributor

Re: I have a Dr. Appt.

[ Edited ]

I had my third procedure on my back in 10 days today.  The office is in a building adjacent to a hospital.  Each time, the door to the hallway has been propped open so no need to touch door handles.  The waiting room which normally is at capacity was empty except one person or a person with a driver. With the exception of the middle appointment I was in an OR which was EXTREMELY sterile to the point of alcohol practically dripping from several things.  The Dr, surgical tech and nurse wore masks and gloves but they always do.  The middle visit was for 18 trigger point injections in my lower spine  done in a regular room which I could see was freshly sanitized.  The office personnel were not wearing masks but were in an area totally glassed off.  I did not wear a mask to the appointments but they gave me one today prior to entering the OR.  Dr requires all patients to be masked in the OR right now. 

I did notice 2 people dropping by to pick up prescriptions that were in and out in about 60 seconds. I am going to miss not waiting over an hour there once the telemedicine calls aren't the norm! 

I have also had a MRI and x-rays done at a hospital over the last 2 weeks.  Temp taken before entering hospital, everyone working in any capacity was masked,  gloved, etc.  Hospital lobby area was a ghost town.  The only people I saw were patients getting discharged. 

Honestly, if you can go now I would, no crowds and everything seems to be super sanitized. 

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Icegoddess  my friend works in a OBGYN office and this is how they did it.  Patients wait in the car and they are texted to come in for the appt and taken back.  

I have a question for you....I have never heard of ear flakes?  Could I ask what they do to remove them??  I have issues with my left ear and it is always gets plugged up with wax...and I also have lost about 30% of my balance function in that ear.  I suffer with vertigo attacks and so on.  I was just curious is all....as I feel like a puppy every few months that needs my ears unclogged!

@tsavorite Basically, he has this little suction device in my ear and vacuums them out.  I do have to be careful to be still, but it is not painful.  I can feel the flakes break free and then there's a stinging itch afterwards.  I also have some expensive drops for my ears to help with my itching problem.  It says it's for ear eczema.  

I will say  that since I started taking phytoceramides for my skin the flaking has been much less.  Doesn't help with the itching though.  My ear doctor also has a balance clinic too.  I had vertigo years ago but I couldn't stand the medicine for it.  I get ear crystals on occasion which will make me very dizzy if I move my head quickly.  As I get older I find myself "listing" when I get up from bed or sometimes from a sitting position.  Kinda scares me a little because my Dad had extreme dizziness to the point of being unable to walk without help shortly before he died. But, he was 84 and had a lot of other issues too.

I wish I had a decent mask to wear.  I ohly have one meant for yard work and they are kinda suffocating for me.  Plus, if I have my reading glasses on they fog up every time I exhale.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  I say you are braver than me.  My doctor's office is closed but things are being handled by phone or email.  I guess it really depends on what "state" you live in.  I am in Illinois and we have not reached the "peak" yet.  Lucky us.  lol  I can say the most people are respectful in the grocery store except for a few young ones (teens) that are rude  (they think the world owes them a living).  Anyway,  good luck with your appt.

kindness is strength