Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have Bad Manners & Need advice ...

@RinaRina  Donate the slippers and do not mention it again.  In the future, before giving a present to a neighbor who you really do not know well, give a present to a shelter.  Many of those children will receive nothing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

In my opinion there are many more things to be concerned about than a pair of bedroom slippers that you don't like.  I keep going back to that dreadful virus that has taken the lives of so many people. Remember your blessings, hopefully you are well and safe, thank the Lord for that and move on. I would just keep them for a while then donate them and let it go.  If she ask about them just say thanks again and she will probably just move on. Does that make sense?

@Goodie2shoes

The part that doesn't make sense is the need for the lecture preceeding your suggestion of what she should do with the slippers.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. It's possible to think about other aspects of our lives and not be all consumed with Covid.  Most of us can juggle multiple thoughts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it looks as though her dog chewed the label then the slippers are not in good condition.

I am not a fan of donating something that looks used.  Ugly is a personal preference but an item showing use is different.

I would see if an animal shelter could used them.  No, not for animal to wear but to use for teething or for a chew toy.  Labels and decos removed.

Just a thought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Donate them and tell the truth if she asks.  Could she possibly have been trying to connect with you after your initial kind gesture to her?  Many people are lonely to some degree these days.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would donate them.  I sometimes have a couple items to donate after the holidays (that I receive as Christmas gifts)   that I know I won’t use, and so I simply pass them on to someone who can.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just say thank you.  It's not like she's going to see you in the slippers.

Donate them.

Honored Contributor

It was nice you gave her the toy, i would just donate the slippers,and say not a thing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl  wrote: The part that doesn't make sense is the need for the lecture preceeding your suggestion of what she should do with the slippers.

That was not meant to be a lecture but thanks for your feedback, Happy Holidays

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina   Next time donate the toy to one of the many organizations looking for toys to distribute to children who may receive nothing.  And not just because of COVID.  Every year there are children in shelters.

Personally I would not give a toy to a semi-known neighbor just because she has a grandson. 

And overall you are making more of a deal than this situation really merits.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh