Respected Contributor

I have Bad Manners & Need advice ...

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago, there was a mix-up with my WMT order and I got some kind of toddler toy instead of the items I'd ordered.  I called WMT and they told me to not to send it back - just donate it.

So, I walked across the street and gave it to a neighbor who has a grandson.  She was happy to take it because she said the toy was VERY expensive.

Yesterday, when I was walking my dog, she came out and gave me a "gift" ... a pair of super ugly oversized bedroom slippers.  The tag/label looked like her dog had chewed it up.

She told me if they didn't fit, she'd give me the receipt.  

I thanked her and went on with my walk.

I HAVE BAD MANNERS ....  

#1- Should I ask for the receipt and get something else?

#2 - Should I not mention it and donate the slippers?

This woman is NOT a "friend".  We don't socialize.  She's just a neighbor who has a grandchild, so I gave her the toy.  

I don't even know why she felt compelled to "give" me something.  

I'm way past the age where I need gifts from people who don't know me well and don't know my needs or what I like.  I've been dejunking my house for months.  I just don't need anymore useless junk.

I don't want to be rude, but I'm leaning towards #2.

Suppose she asks if the slippers fit?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have Bad Manners & Need advice ...

[ Edited ]

It never hurts to try and be kind.

Just because you aren't besties with her, doesn't mean that you can't be nice, and just donate the slippers.

I doubt that she'll ask about them, and if she does, just tell that they were lovely.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I would donate the slippers and know that I have helped keep another person more comfortable this winter.

Esteemed Contributor

If it were me then I would just donate the slippers or drop them in a Salvation Army drop bos. I won't have any further conversation about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think I would donate them. I've been gifted many things that I ended up donating. And I don't feel bad about it.

Not sure what I'd tell her if she asks if they fit.

Respected Contributor

I would donate.  If she asks if they fit, say "No, darn it....it was so thoughtful off you and with things so hectic I didn't want to bother you about the receipt, so I passed them along to someone who could wear them."  

She just wanted to return a kindness.  Chances are she will never ask.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I certainly wouldn't ask for the receipt.  No way. 

Appreciate the gesture and then donate them or if they really do look like they've been chewed, throw them away. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

A few weeks ago, there was a mix-up with my WMT order and I got some kind of toddler toy instead of the items I'd ordered.  I called WMT and they told me to not to send it back - just donate it.

So, I walked across the street and gave it to a neighbor who has a grandson.  She was happy to take it because she said the toy was VERY expensive.

Yesterday, when I was walking my dog, she came out and gave me a "gift" ... a pair of super ugly oversized bedroom slippers.  The tag/label looked like her dog had chewed it up.

She told me if they didn't fit, she'd give me the receipt.  

I thanked her and went on with my walk.

I HAVE BAD MANNERS ....  

#1- Should I ask for the receipt and get something else?

#2 - Should I not mention it and donate the slippers?

This woman is NOT a "friend".  We don't socialize.  She's just a neighbor who has a grandchild, so I gave her the toy.  

I don't even know why she felt compelled to "give" me something.  

I'm way past the age where I need gifts from people who don't know me well and don't know my needs or what I like.  I've been dejunking my house for months.  I just don't need anymore useless junk.

I don't want to be rude, but I'm leaning towards #2.

Suppose she asks if the slippers fit?

@RinaRina Tell her they fit fine... just donate them to goodwill or the like. Be done with it.

Respected Contributor

In my opinion there are many more things to be concerned about than a pair of bedroom slippers that you don't like.  I keep going back to that dreadful virus that has taken the lives of so many people. Remember your blessings, hopefully you are well and safe, thank the Lord for that and move on. I would just keep them for a while then donate them and let it go.  If she ask about them just say thanks again and she will probably just move on. Does that make sense?

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I would donate.  If she asks if they fit, say "No, darn it....it was so thoughtful off you and with things so hectic I didn't want to bother you about the receipt, so I passed them along to someone who could wear them."  

She just wanted to return a kindness.  Chances are she will never ask.

BEST answer! If you can't use it pass it along to someone who can.