Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

For the love of all that is holy-now we have the text police dictating how to punctuate our texts. 

I've seen this analogy before and it means nothing.

Yes, our language changes but punctuation is punctuation.

Next it will be quotation marks, commas, semi-colons, and colons.

Because we have to have something to complain about and heaven forbid we go through life without being offended at everything.

First, "passive-aggressive" is so over-used and not understood. 

Second, a period at the end of a sentence is simple punctuation-which apparently is not taught anymore.

What, pray tell, is the difference between using a period in my post and using one in my text??

Nothing.  Period.

@Cakers3 @noodleann  It's The Revenge of the Illiterates.  They don't like rules because they don't understand rules and they don't want to be bothered learning them (let alone following them).  The Illiterates are basically narcissists -- they refuse to accept the fact that using standard grammar is a courtesy to the reader, and that the burden is on the writer to communicate clearly and unambiguously for the reader's benefit.  Sadly, other examples of this "all about me" mentality abound...

Honored Contributor

No periods and abbreviated words=easier to drive and text.

Honored Contributor

Re: I had no idea....

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

No periods and abbreviated words=easier to drive and text.

@Lucky Charm  Speaking of texting while driving, we saw a guy on a motorcycle texting. No periods for him. Edited to add, this was on the NYState thruway. Average speed probably 80.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann,  you have an ingenious, yet totally common sense take on this-- loved reading your posts.  "Gotcha culture" is such a felicitous way of understanding this onerous new made-up "rule"... 

Honored Contributor

Re: I had no idea....

[ Edited ]

@MoonieBaby wrote:

I'm a bore to receive a text from, for sure.

I don't use emojis in my texting. 

I use punctuation.  Correct grammar.  And I will spell check if I'm unsure about a word I'm texting.

I don't use short cuts, for example: I D K to replace the phrase - I don't know).

I hate texting, but if I'm doing it, I might as well write as though I'm being graded.

Old habits die hard.

@MoonieBaby 

I'm worse my kids or gd will text me I need to call them to ask them what the "abbreviations" mean in English because I have  NO clue what they're asking or telling me😉🤷‍♀️😳.

The call takes a minute yet the text is their way of communicating 🙄

Honored Contributor

If using punctuation is considered passive-agressive, then count me in!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

It's also amazing to me that a kid would be freaked out if his mother was angry with him. Got to get these tender buds hardened off a bit for the real world ahead of them. Winter is coming.

@noodleann - You're so right! It seems that today as soon as these millennials and Generation Z "kids" decide they want something to change EVERYONE has to happily go along with it. If they don't get their way they make life miserable.

I'm one who is rebelling against this. And now I will take my toys and go home!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about texting.  Isn't it just proper to end any sentence with a period??  Otherwise, all your information just runs together and possibly could be interpreted incorrectly???  Oh, well -- what do I know -- I'm definitely from the stone age!!!  Cat Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

that using a period at the end of a text message sentence can be seen as passive aggressive.   

Apparently one of the ways our language is changing in ways no one is telling me.

LOL, I must be old.  I call it grammar.  

Honored Contributor

PUNCTUATIN' 'TILL I DIE!!!!