Respected Contributor

How often do people on these forums get told they are shouting when they type in all caps? I think if you start texting from a young age, you naturally pick up these rules from your peers. Those of us who are older when texting came along just apply what we already know to the medium. As long as the people we text with understand us, it’s all good.

BTW I age myself when I text with my index finger or with voice dictation 😁

Honored Contributor
Kids usually text short messages and hit send. The “send” substitutes for the period. It’s all the context of the conversation.

Ok - means ok it’s all good
Ok. - can mean ok I’m DONE with you (negative)

No need to blast NPR. It’s covered in a number of outlets because there was a study done on the psychology of texting and also how language is adapting to this technology.

I’ll use a period if it’s a longer text with more than one sentence. Short text? I don’t use punctuation.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

that using a period at the end of a text message sentence can be seen as passive aggressive.   

Apparently one of the ways our language is changing in ways no one is telling me.

@millieshops 

???    Huh?   Where did you hear this?   

And who is supposed to be in charge of telling you things?  Isn't it up to you to stay well-informed?    

Respected Contributor

Who can keep up with what is in or out or bad or good anymore. Just do what you always did. 

Esteemed Contributor

With stuff like this I want to know more.  Googled and lots of articles came up and some entertaining. The use of an emoji has replaced some punctuation. I respond to some texts from grands with an emoji only as they do to me but rarely use a period at the end of a text. It's a generational thing. Don't know about these kids today LOL Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

This is idiotic, and NPR is abusing its mandate by giving things like this airtime.

The way to stop gotcha culture from ruling your life is to ignore its demands, or better yet, laugh at them. If you don't, you'll be subject to the tyranny of self-absorbed people like this child insisting that you bend to their demands. Just say no.

I stand with punctuation.

Altough I'm a NPR fan, I'm losing faith in some of their "fair and balanced" features.

I don't text so I won't misuse the period. I really like the ellipsis so I hope the new kids don't mess that up...

Esteemed Contributor

Look at the article more careful.

This "judgement" was from a teenage boy to his mother when she asked something.

Show of hands.  Who has raised a teenager?  And lived 😂

Honored Contributor

I only text when absolutely necessary and thankfully that isn't often.  As far as using a period at the end of a sentence,  I always do and was taught to as I was taught to write a  sentence, paragraph and vocabulary.  I love English and I could care less what people say or make up. I am very happy with the writing skills I learned.

Respected Contributor

I'm amazed that whoever programmed texting shortcuts has a period inserted after a double-space. That's an old hard type/typewriter convention that I had to unlearn for computerized typesetting. To see it carried forward in texting is very puzzling. Chicago, AP, etc. all oppose two spaces. It's rare that one space creates confusion, unlike the omission of end punctuation entirely.

And for the record, "Okay" means the same thing whether it has a period or not. It's for people making this nonsense up to make allowances for proper punctuation, not for us to learn their neurotic social coding.

Honored Contributor

Let's see students turn in papers without punctuation. Actually when I taught for a community college our department banded together to change things like this. Some of our students turned in sloppy papers. We all decided if there were more than 5 glaring punctuation errors we would lower their grades. They told us they used spell check and auto-correct, but those didn't catch everything! It was obvious they hadn't even READ their papers before submitting them. It just wasn't fair to the students who did work hard.

I guess today we would be reprimanded for doing this.

I don't care. Almost everyone I text has probably never heard of this either. I'm sure my children just dismiss it as "Mom has no clue" !   Smiley Wink