Honored Contributor

118957376_1518083281712342_5318759386908915285_n.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think everybody is overreacting a tad, including the teen. Teen boys are fairly emotional and easy to offend for the most part. Not all of them are of course, but those boys would not accuse you of passive aggresiveness. And texting has nuance to it that many of us are too set in our ways to want to learn. That's okay.

I can handle the texting nuance pretty well. But when I receive a text from an older relative with perfect capitalization and sentence structure--and lots of emojis. I try to reciprocate. It's just matching my style to theirs.

It's no crime to date yourself with your texting style. Just roll with it if a youngun misunderstands -- the same way you would hope they will roll with it when you misunderstand them.

This does not have to be considered a symptom of a decaying empire, unless it floats your boat to see it that way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Re: I had no idea....

[ Edited ]

@millieshops   This situation doesn't exist for me since I have never texted and never will.  If I don't answer my phone, please leave a detailed message and I''ll call back promptly.

@jonbon   I love the clarity that the use of the Oxford comma brings.  In my head as I'm writing a sentence I'm also hearing how it will sound if it is spoken out loud.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I do text -  works especially well to keep in touch with some of my wide-spread family.  

I've never personally had anyone onject to my messages, but the article that I read prior to starting this thread reminded me how much technology is changing not only the way many of us communicate, but the very language with which we do it.

Once upon a time, the changes took hundreds of years; now it can happen overnight!