Honored Contributor

Re: I had a visitor tonight ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ yikes!!!

@Citrine1 

The raccoon family did lots of damage in my attic but living in the wonderful state of FL (sarcastic) no damage was covered under my homeowners as all wildlife is excluded from coverage!

I am now constantly checking the house for any openings.  They ate through the soffit at my roof line๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ก

Esteemed Contributor

How awful for you @homedecor1 .  That just doesn't seem right.  It's funny you mention that, though.  Our damage was covered by our insurance company HOWEVER, the very next year they changed the policy so that any damage from vermin (their word, not mine) is not covered.  Fingers crossed, it doesn't happen again.  

And, while I wasn't happy about the boat, I'd have been much more upset had they been nesting in my attic!  I feel for you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 

exactly correct: insurance company told us they changed the policies to exclude vermin, rodents, any kind of wildlife ...ugh๐Ÿ˜ก

But good outcome was I cleaned out my attic for stuff boxed for years I'd never use OR forgot was up there๐Ÿ™‚

Honored Contributor

I killed 2 mice out on patio by setting mouse traps with peanut butter.

They're quick, but, not quicker then my trap.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   Goodness, I haven't read all the replies. Hope all is well.

We have baby gators coming up to our end of the lake sometimes. Freaks me out because of my little Yorkie. I keep a sharp eye out for them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

For those in FL (yikes, I'm not sure if they're elsewhere). also beware of coral snakes.  DH first thought it was the neighbor girls jump-rope until it turned on him.  Said it was small, but aggressive before he killed it with a shovel.

Example:

Eastern-Coral-Snake.jpg

Very venomous.  Several other snake look-a-likes, so the rhyme goes "Red on yellow, kills a fellow.  Red on black, you're OK, Jack".

@denisemb 

As soon as I saw your picture I had to say the rhyme to myself.  Then I saw that you had included the rhyme!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

awww, baby gator...

I like the adults, too... always chillin'  8)

Baby Alligator resting on a log

@feline groovy 

Yeah, they're chillin' all right - until they see something they want to eat.  Then they move quick as lightning. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Raccoons are very cute little critters, but are nasty.  They are like rats that can destroy things and can carry diseases, so they are considered "vermin."

Terrified of snakes!  And alligators.  Glad I don't live in the tropics, but snakes are everywhere except the Antarctic, I guess.

Honored Contributor

As much as I dislike the damage the squirrels and rabbits do to my yard I think I will stop complaining.

Respected Contributor

Nope, nope, nope.  I'm not living anywhere where I have to worry about snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, alligators, crocodiles or any of their relatives.  NOOO!