Honored Contributor

Re: I had a visitor tonight 🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊 yikes!!!

Awesome!

Honored Contributor

awww, baby gator...

I like the adults, too... always chillin'  8)

Baby Alligator resting on a log

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

awww, baby gator...

I like the adults, too... always chillin'  8)

Baby Alligator resting on a log

@feline groovy @I used to have one of these little guys. They were sold all over S. Florida in the '60s. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

download (3).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fortune wrote:

@homedecor1 

My next door neighbors were ringing my doorbell to tell me I had a visitor in my back yard.  They didn't offer to take care of the problem either.  I eventually decided to leave the visitor to his/her devices as they are good to rid the yard of rats/mice.

See picture of black rat snake below.  He was about 3 feet long.

snake.png

@fortune  @homedecor1 

My condo is in the back of the condo complex....we have fields and a greenbelt near the property....one day I was taking a walk and saw a snake by the sidewalk!!!!  I took a photo and sent it to a friend that lives in the country and knows her snakes....She identified it as a Rat Snake and said they do get rid of the field mice...... Since a lot of homes and condo and apartment complexes have been invaded by mice I left the snake alone to do its thing..As long as I know a snake is not venomous they dont bother me......I never saw the Rat Snake again, perhaps one of the feral cats killed it.....they made mince meat out of the Texas Brown Snakes....

Now if I saw a Gator I would be pretrified....thankfully not very common where I live in Texas... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@homedecor1 -

I don't know, don't think I could live in Fl, what with alligators and relentless heat and hurricanes (not that they aren't other places). but I know many love it. 

A Water moccasin, oh my gosh! So scary.

------

Amen to not living in Florida😊 No place is perfect, and if such places existed, only the privledged few could afford to live there. 

However alligators, snakes, huge bugs 🕷 hurricanes, the heat and humidity, makeFlorida, not the spot for me.

I'll stay in the Northwest, and the four seasons. 

I would like to visit Florida, again, though, the beaches, next time. My one visit, was to Orlando, in October.  Sadly the weather was horrendous. Very high winds, drenching rain! 

I still went out, in my Disney poncho 😁 and played tourist! 

Respected Contributor

After seeing those pictures of the alligator and snakes I guess I look pretty silly when I freak out by the occasional raccoon walking through our yard.   Last evening I was in our backyard and saw a pretty large raccoon making his way down a tree, it's pretty amazing how fast I can run when I see them.  

I know I could never live anywhere that had alligators or venomous snakes.  Just the thought of encountering one of them terrifies me. We live in the suburbs so the worst thing we have to deal with is raccoons.   I did see a small red fox in our driveway many years ago.   

I grew up in Pennsylvania where we had the copperhead snake but luckily I never saw any.   Here in the PNW people have had cougars and bears show up in their yards but that's usually near the more mountainous areas.   

The op is much braver than I would be.  I guess if you live in Florida though you just have to get used to seeing alligators and snakes.  I've never been to Florida but I'm sure aside from the wildlife it's a beautiful state.   

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

If any dogs ,or cats ,or kids were out ,that would be terrible,as a animal lover, i feel the alligators should be killed.

----  

Oh, I certainly don't want to see them killed! 

They're really rather magnificent creatures, I wouldn't want to meet them, up close, though. 

I'm assuming that people that live in alligator areas, learn to be cautious. If I lived in an  alligator area, I wouldn't leave a dog or cat, outside, alone. 

Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

After seeing those pictures of the alligator and snakes I guess I look pretty silly when I freak out by the occasional raccoon walking through our yard.   Last evening I was in our backyard and saw a pretty large raccoon making his way down a tree, it's pretty amazing how fast I can run when I see them.  

I know I could never live anywhere that had alligators or venomous snakes.  Just the thought of encountering one of them terrifies me. We live in the suburbs so the worst thing we have to deal with is raccoons.   I did see a small red fox in our driveway many years ago.   

I grew up in Pennsylvania where we had the copperhead snake but luckily I never saw any.   Here in the PNW people have had cougars and bears show up in their yards but that's usually near the more mountainous areas.   

The op is much braver than I would be.  I guess if you live in Florida though you just have to get used to seeing alligators and snakes.  I've never been to Florida but I'm sure aside from the wildlife it's a beautiful state.   

------  

I'm in the Northwest, also, Spokane. 

I Love raccoons💜

They are so adorable and so much fun to watch. I know they can be mean, but they're just so dang cute! 
Once. My two indoor cats, were hissing at the sliding door.  I thought another cat was outside. Nope, two large raccoons, were on the patio, just looking in 😁

I don't know that I've ever seen one in the daytime, but, these guys visited from time to time! 

Honored Contributor

ICK!  Bless you girl!!!