Honored Contributor

Re: I had a visitor tonight 🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊 yikes!!!

@fortune 

I would have had a heart attack right on the spot...I'm scared to death of any snake.  The first year I lived here I was "naive" to the creatures here.

I left the garage door open.  Went out one night at dusk, light in garage door opener came on as I walked around to car -- I saw a huge red snake ...I was so scared could hardly move.

Started screaming.  Spouse came out and said "don't move it's a water moccasin".  I literally ran out of garage crying -- he chopped the head off with a shovel.

We moved in this house, first week we had a big snake on the lanai.  came under door -- had new seals and door put on!!!

I will never do yard work or walk in grass.  Ugh...It's terrifying!!!

Respected Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@homedecor1 

My next door neighbors were ringing my doorbell to tell me I had a visitor in my back yard.  They didn't offer to take care of the problem either.  I eventually decided to leave the visitor to his/her devices as they are good to rid the yard of rats/mice.

See picture of black rat snake below.  He was about 3 feet long.

snake.png

Nice snake.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 -

I don't know, don't think I could live in Fl, what with alligators and relentless heat and hurricanes (not that they aren't other places). but I know many love it. 

A Water moccasin, oh my gosh! So scary.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@fortune   And where do you live????  I would rather have the gator.

We used to live in an area in Northern Ohio (farm country) that was full of snakes.  Black and Garden.  All you had to do was walk out the door and there could be one under the deck.  Our house was next to a woods too so that didn't help.  When my husband mowed the lawn on the riding mower!!!!!!!  he used to run over them.  The small ones would try to attack the mower. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.    

Respected Contributor

For those in FL (yikes, I'm not sure if they're elsewhere). also beware of coral snakes.  DH first thought it was the neighbor girls jump-rope until it turned on him.  Said it was small, but aggressive before he killed it with a shovel.

Example:

Eastern-Coral-Snake.jpg

Very venomous.  Several other snake look-a-likes, so the rhyme goes "Red on yellow, kills a fellow.  Red on black, you're OK, Jack".

Denise
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 

My first thought is to call The Gator Boys!  I used to watch their show on Animal Planet with my grands. They actually went to see the Gator Boys a few years back when in Florida on vacation.  

They have a gator farm and rescue, and will trap gators on private property that are a nuisance.  At least that is how they worked on their tv show.  

Hope he stays out of your pond!🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

If any dogs ,or cats ,or kids were out ,that would be terrible,as a animal lover, i feel the alligators should be killed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Give me the gator any day over the snakes - I'm in SC and we have plenty of gators and 37 species of snakes - ugh.

Here's something to remember when you think you see a coral snake (there are exceptions to this):  Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow

Respected Contributor

Exciting isn't it?  Seeing these reptilian creatures out n about - no quarantine for them lol.

I'm in NC, we have the gators and snakes.  Have not seen a coral snake - very pretty - but stay far far away, but I have seen so many black snakes, they are quite long - 4 ft. or so, not too thick, but not too thin either, and boy are they quick.  I wouldn't want one angry at me.  They say they are good for the garden, and I have also learned to keep my garage door closed for fear of finding one hiding out in the garage.

The snakes will lay in the grass (our grass here is very weedy bermuda grass) and poke their heads up from time to time like a prairie dog, and over oversee their kingdom.  You always have to be on the lookout.

I like the striped gator, but only to admire from afar.  Animals are much smarter than people despite the size of our brains.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I love Florida BUT.....this would terrify me!  I'll stay in the northeast, thank you.