Respected Contributor

Re: I guess my age is showing

@brii wrote:

the high shcool my kids attend require a minimum of 10 service hours each school year.  Most kids exceed that amount. 

It's imporant that kids give back. 

My daughter's college required community service too. So many hours per year to graduate

Respected Contributor

There's an episode of "The ****** Van ****** Show" about Richie's birthday party.  The premise of the episode is how spoiled and overindulged kids are "these days." And that was what, the early '60s ?!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

My age has been showing for quite a while now!  I have to agree with all the points that all of you have made.

I vowed when I was young that I wouldn't be/talk/act like my parents when I got their age.  Well, I've become them!  I guess every generation goes through this as they age, but it does seem like so many things in our world have been changing at a much more rapid rate than ever before.  I think this is what makes it harder to accept and adapt.

I like to think that I'm pretty open-minded, but I just don't see a lot of common sense out there anymore.

I so wish you were my neighbor . . . we could have coffee and talk . . . . Smiley Happy

We sure would--especially if that little guy in your avatar is yours!  Adorable beyond words!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

There's an episode of "The ****** Van ****** Show" about Richie's birthday party.  The premise of the episode is how spoiled and overindulged kids are "these days." And that was what, the early '60s ?!

Oh dear, is this what it's come to?!  How sad. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

My age has been showing for quite a while now!  I have to agree with all the points that all of you have made.

I vowed when I was young that I wouldn't be/talk/act like my parents when I got their age.  Well, I've become them!  I guess every generation goes through this as they age, but it does seem like so many things in our world have been changing at a much more rapid rate than ever before.  I think this is what makes it harder to accept and adapt.

I like to think that I'm pretty open-minded, but I just don't see a lot of common sense out there anymore.

I so wish you were my neighbor . . . we could have coffee and talk . . . . Smiley Happy

We sure would--especially if that little guy in your avatar is yours!  Adorable beyond words!!!

I wish we could too on many different levels.  That was my Chloe and I lost her this January.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her.  Thanks for saying so, she was an absolute angel!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I wish we could too on many different levels.  That was my Chloe and I lost her this January.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her.  Thanks for saying so, she was an absolute angel!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  We just lost our little Lhasa in December, which is why your avatar hit me so.  And I agree, we talk about our little girl every day and how much we miss her, too.  I still can't speak of her without tearing up.  So I really know where you're coming from.  And now your little Chloe is an angel once again; don't you know that they're both waiting for us, too!

Honored Contributor

LyndaGee wrote:

remember the episode of I LOVE LUCY when lucy just had to outdo her friends sons birthday party (carolyn applebee maybe?)? that was when lucy just HAD to have superman appear at the party for little ricky.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Families, when I was a kid, seemed to be more inclined, to do their civic duty, and be  good neighbor , than they are now. They also did it without moaning and whingeing about it

What a nation of spoiled brats we seem to have become

It's all about Me! Me! Me!

People want their "liberty"and "freedom" - even when it;s reckless, irresponsible and not based in facts.

We should be a SOCIETY and a COMMUNITY - not a bunch of individuals with no interaction or interest in one another.

I totally agree!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think young people are terminally bad to the bone.  I was in college when they were buring buildings and occuping campuses and moving to Canada.  Let alone the fact we listened to the Beatles and smoked pot and the guys wore ponytails.  Must have given our parents fits.  We were also the first generation to come of age when the pill was available.

Respected Contributor

Yes, that was another good one, Sunshine !!!