Respected Contributor

Re: I guess I should tip the delivery guys

I always tip delivery people.  And......putting the bed frame together, setting it all up, etc, absolulutely.  $20 each would be good.  It’s so nice to feel appreciated.  

I serve at a second job, and let me tell you, some very generous people after Covid tipped very well at the restaurant.  We all really appreciated what people did for us.  We have many “regulars”. 

I know that they are paid already to deliver. But, you might make their day!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would give them each $20......if it was one person $50.

But I also have a question about tipping. Once a week I order from a local restaurant

generally when a kid or grandchildren stop by. There favorite place is 2 miles from my home. I give him/her the same tip since Covid started but I wonder what would you give ?

He leaves the food at the front door and I have never seen him/her.

Honored Contributor

I had a bed and an adjustable frame delivered last month.  There were two delivery guys, and they set it all up.  I live in a one story house with only two steps to the door.  I tipped them $10 each, which they seemed to appreciate.

If they had a room full of furniture to deliver and had to go upstairs I think at least $20 each would be appropriate.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree with most that a $20.00 tip per person is a nice thing to do.  It does sound like a lot of work bringing everything upstairs and assembling some pieces is going to be a lot of work!  I wonder how long it will take for them to do this?

I had also wondered about tipping a shade installer.  I had custom Roman shades made for my bedroom (three shades all together) and the installer charged $175.00 to do this. 

I'm not sure if he is an independent worker that Calico Corners uses or if he is employed by them.  Anyway he was very professional and it took him all of five minutes to install each shade....however he noticed that one was strung incorrectly so it had to go back to be fixed.  

I didn't tip him but he will be back to reinstall the last shade and when he does I'm thinking of giving him $20.00.  I'm grateful that he noticed the flaw on the last shade which we might have missed if DH had tried putting them up!

Trusted Contributor

We always tip for everything except daily Amazon, UPS, FedEx ( try to get them at the holidays).   Any kind of furniture, Instacart, Shipt, etc always get tips.  I agree with most everyone that has commented --$20 each. 

Honored Contributor

I don't guess it occurs to all you ladies bountiful that these delivery people are being paid by their employer to haul furniture into your house, set it up, and haul away the wrappings.  You also undoubtedly paid well for this service.

I just wonder if there's some one upmanship in play with threads like this.  Everyone is oh so generous.  Reminds me of threads where every single person claims to pay off their credit cards every month.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't guess it occurs to all you ladies bountiful that these delivery people are being paid by their employer to haul furniture into your house, set it up, and haul away the wrappings.  You also undoubtedly paid well for this service.

I just wonder if there's some one upmanship in play with threads like this.  Everyone is oh so generous.  Reminds me of threads where every single person claims to pay off their credit cards every month.

Nah. My husband while putting himself through college delivered furniture for Abraham and Straus. He made minimum wage. He said the tips were very generous when I asked him. So of course he returns the favor when we have services or deliveries @Kachina624 .

$20.00 each he gave the two guys who recently delivered our stove.🙂

Honored Contributor

Yes, we tip delivery people. We also pay off CC every month.

Respected Contributor

I tip delivery people.  Of course, they are paid by their employer but they are tasked with a difficult job.  I usually give $20 to each person but if they set up their delivery, I would give more.

When I give any type of tip, I want the receiver to know that I appreciate them, the service rendered and I value what they did.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF