Respected Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

Thanks @cotton4me .  Maybe we've been misinterpreting the sign all these years!

Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

My bank has installed self-service coin machines in its branches.  There is a 5% service fee for non-customers, but I can pour the coins into the machine which sorts and counts them.  It gives me a paper receipt which I take to the teller who gives me cash back.  How about that?

Honored Contributor

If I have it I always use coins for the cents part. It saves the cashier from having to make change and I’m not luggin around heavy coins. I’ve never noticed annoyance about this but baristas are pretty renowned for being snooty. If I get an attitude I don’t tip. 

Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

TL/DR: Do you think it is annoying to dig out change when you pay for your coffee..?

There is a little local mom and pop coffee shop that I have kind of become friends with the barista..Well, my drink is always $4.13..I always tip her $6.13 (sometimes even $7.13, if she did a really good job with my drink or even $8.13 I did a 'custom' type of drink..)..I noticed she seems to get a little annoyed when I dig out the $.13..It is always right in my tiny front pocket of my purse, and it only takes me mere seconds to find, and I even usually even have it ready to go, bc I usually dig it out while she is making my drink....But she sometimes lets out a heavy sigh or just seems annoyed....I mean, I suppose I could just tip her an even $6.00, $7.00 or $8.00 and let her dig the coins out of her drawer for her tip..but I try and leave an even dollar amount.. 

Should I just leave the  even $6, $7 or $8 and let her get her own coins out..? I usually even have the exact amount ready by the time she is finished making my drink, so then she is not waiting at all...But sometimes I will switch up my drink, so it will be a different price, like maybe $5.22 or whatever..I then do $7.22 or whatever so she gets an even dollar tip amount.. 

Anyway, I was watching a youtube video about "annoying customers" and apparently change fishers are annoying....I mean, one of us has to dig out some coins either way, I don't really understand the annoyance she seems to experience..FWIW, this mom and pop coffee shop is sadly very rarely busy..I know she has other things to do, not just wait on customers, but when the shop is not a steady line of customers (often 10, 15, even up to half an hour between customers, as I do sometimes stay and relax in a booth with my coffee, especially if I am there with someone). 

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes, I feel like I do overthink this, lol..But I am curious to know if some thinks it would be annoying..especially if there are any baristas that can chime in. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

@msh8970 Do you really need help with this or did you just want to start a conversation?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy wrote:

I don't have any place where I can get cash for my coins.  (Besides, I guess, rolling them in wrappers and taking them to the bank.  I would hope you can still do that.)  TD Bank used to give you cash if you had an account, but not any more.  The Coinstar machines at the grocery store only give a receipt to be used there or an Amazon credit.

I've been using Coinstar for years, and I nearly always get cash.  It doesn't have to be used in the store.  There are other options too - You can donate the money to charity or get gift cards.  But cash is definitely one of the options.  I think originally it was the only option, and then they added the others. 

And in response to the OP:  I definitely think you're over-tipping.  Especially if you're sensing an attitude.  If the barista has really become a friend, you should be able to talk about this.  If not, then forget about the change.  IMO you're definitely over-thinking the whole thing.  Getting a cup of coffee shouldn't cause so much angst. 

Frequent Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

I don't have any place where I can get cash for my coins.  (Besides, I guess, rolling them in wrappers and taking them to the bank.  I would hope you can still do that.)  TD Bank used to give you cash if you had an account, but not any more.  The Coinstar machines at the grocery store only give a receipt to be used there or an Amazon credit.

I've been using Coinstar for years, and I nearly always get cash.  It doesn't have to be used in the store.  There are other options too - You can donate the money to charity or get gift cards.  But cash is definitely one of the options.  I think originally it was the only option, and then they added the others. 

And in response to the OP:  I definitely think you're over-tipping.  Especially if you're sensing an attitude.  If the barista has really become a friend, you should be able to talk about this.  If not, then forget about the change.  IMO you're definitely over-thinking the whole thing.  Getting a cup of coffee shouldn't cause so much angst. 

We get get cash from Coinstar  too.