Super Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

[ Edited ]

I occasionally give exact change.

1. It lessens the load in my wallet.

2. My coins are money just like a card is.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I just make my Folgers at home and Keep All My Money.  But yes I am one of those that do try to always pay with exact change for things.  Change is money and try to remember the value of all.  I want to eat if I live to my 90's. 

Your Barista needs some new people skills for sure.

I'm with you on that.  I make my coffee at home.  The rare times I have been to Starbucks were times I was out with someone else who suggested we stop.

And yes, change is money and it's nice to have respect for you're hard earned money. 

I once had a friend in dire straits with her money situation, but on the floor of her very messy car must have been $5-$10 dollars worth of loose change. Of course that little bit would not have solved her problems, but it said something to me about how she got into the mess she was in.

I have been noticing lately that every once in a while, the cashier will not return my 2 or 3 cents change....like it's not even worth the effort.  I don't say anything when this happens, but I think it is not the right thing to do.  I think next time, I'll say something like "if you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves" ( a favorite expression of my husband's), but I have a feeling it would just fall on deaf ears.

Honored Contributor

It sounds to me as if you are the exact opposite of a "change fisher," @msh8970 , since you always have your change ready.

As to the eye rolling, etc. behavior of that barista, that would make me want to get my coffee elsewhere.

I suppose you have a few choices:

- Continue to have your exact change ready and ignore her behavior.

- Pay in even bills so it's up to her to give you change - which you can then drop into a jar at the counter for a tip - if they have a tip jar

- Buy your coffee elsewhere

And finally, don't overtip.  Especially if you go there all the time.  You can tip at a special time of year, like a holiday, but not on a regular basis.  They should be pleased having you as a regular customer.  You're already paying for the coffee.  No need to pay for an off-putting attitude.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't really know.  I drink instant.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

I work one day a week in the service industry.  I have an office job during the week.  At my waitress job I make 2.83 an hour, so this server cares about the tip money.  Many people are under the impression that servers make minimum wage. Not in the state of PA.  Just saying.....you are a very generous tipper. Give her the paper only. It all adds up. I can’t speak if the barista’s get a server wage or higher.  If she rolled her eyes I probably would tip much less.  

Regular Contributor

@dex wrote:

@NewerNickname 

@NewerNickname wrote:

Slightly off topic but I never spend my loose change. Years ago, Suze Orman (who in all honesty I'm usually not a big fan of) recommended using only paper money and putting all loose change in a container at the end of every day. I took that advice and in one year, had filled two 3-quart Rubbermaid containers. I can't remember the exact amount, but when I took it to the bank, it was a few hundred dollars!

@How long does it take to count and roll that change?I just try to get rid of it as I get it.As long as cashiers hand out change I will return change.

@dex 

Luckily I don’t have to count or roll it! My bank offers free coin service at their branches. All I need to do is feed the coins into the machine and when done, I get a receipt. I then take the receipt to the teller and either deposit the money into my account or take the cash (in much lighter bills! Smiley Happy ).

Honored Contributor

My credit union also has a free coin machine. One reason why I love my credit union. 💕
Honored Contributor

Possibly, the employees pool their tips and only take their cut at the end of the shift.  So what one customer does to insure an “even dollar” tip, makes no difference overall. 

But OP...you are a generous tipper and don’t deserve to be treated poorly.  No one does 

Trusted Contributor

You are very generous in your tipping but I would ease up on that. If she is treating you that way, she is not earning such a nice tip. 

Honored Contributor

You are tipping $2.00 for ever single cup of coffee?? Come on! We visit a local coffee shop several times a week. They know us and have our coffees made and ready if they see us parking our car out front. But there is a tip jar that we contribute once in a while. I'd go broke tipping several bucks for every single cup of coffee!! 

"Pure Michigan"