Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

I have become annoyed at customers ahead of me fishing for coins, only because they apparently have them in several compartments in their bags, so they get one here, one there.  As for the barista and her annoyance:  I would no longer tip her.  Period.  End of discussion.

Valued Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

I'm a generous tipper.  I have never had a barista, waiter, waitress, bus boy, cashier, etc get upset when I paid with exact change.  Sometimes they wait or ask if I have the exact change.  People in customer service jobs are usually great with regular customers, especially when they give good tips.  

Respected Contributor

I would almost bet the barista would take almost the same amount of time getting her tip change from the register if you tipped the even amount!
Your call. I would search new coffee shop or tip less. You are being thoughtful and generous
Honored Contributor

@NewerNickname wrote:

@dex wrote:

@NewerNickname 

@NewerNickname wrote:

Slightly off topic but I never spend my loose change. Years ago, Suze Orman (who in all honesty I'm usually not a big fan of) recommended using only paper money and putting all loose change in a container at the end of every day. I took that advice and in one year, had filled two 3-quart Rubbermaid containers. I can't remember the exact amount, but when I took it to the bank, it was a few hundred dollars!

@How long does it take to count and roll that change?I just try to get rid of it as I get it.As long as cashiers hand out change I will return change.

@dex 

Luckily I don’t have to count or roll it! My bank offers free coin service at their branches. All I need to do is feed the coins into the machine and when done, I get a receipt. I then take the receipt to the teller and either deposit the money into my account or take the cash (in much lighter bills! Smiley Happy ).

Our grocery stores in my city have them to count your change for you.  I do not use them since I fill a large floor vase at home my 4 year Granddaughter wants one day for her room or I spend the change.  The vase gets all the change I found over the decades on my walks and parking lots.  Found money is just feels more special so I save it, even if a a penny.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

At first I thought we were being spoofed with this thread.  (Kinda like the Amy Pohler fan poster....).

I guess this is *real*?

Have to ask, what does 'TL/DR:' mean at the beginning of the post?

On to your concern, if you have the 13 cents handy in your tiny pocket, why not take it out as she preparing your coffee?  Along with the bills....

She slides the cup towards you and you slide the dollars and change towards her.

Also, if you 'kind of become friends', could you ask her if she's annoyed by you paying with change?

Unbelievable that she would be upset getting such a good tip for a mere cup of coffee.

And almost as unbelievable to me, that a $4 cup of coffee would warrant a $4 tip for her doing a 'really good job' for a 'custom' type of drink.  

And definitely unbelievable to me is that there are youtube videos about "annoying customers" and 'change fishers'.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm at my coffee shop there is a cashier and the guy/gal who actually makes the coffee.  You pay then move to the end of the counter to wait for your coffee.   When it is busy i am annoyed by people who get to the cashier and can’t make up their mind on what they want.  But that doesn’t include cash paying customers cause almost no one pays in cash.  And our cashiers never never act annoyed.  Just toe tapping me, LOL.  As far as tipping, i don’t.  They don’t serve me, it isn’t a restaurant.  Tipping is an American racket.  

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Have to ask, what does 'TL/DR:' mean at the beginning of the post?

@Lucky Charm  It means "too long didn't read" but that is usually a reply to a very long post.  

Trusted Contributor

I think the OP just needs to buy a coffee pot, stay home and pocket the $.13.  Win, win for everyone.

Respected Contributor

I don't have any place where I can get cash for my coins.  (Besides, I guess, rolling them in wrappers and taking them to the bank.  I would hope you can still do that.)  TD Bank used to give you cash if you had an account, but not any more.  The Coinstar machines at the grocery store only give a receipt to be used there or an Amazon credit.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I don't have any place where I can get cash for my coins.  (Besides, I guess, rolling them in wrappers and taking them to the bank.  I would hope you can still do that.)  TD Bank used to give you cash if you had an account, but not any more.  The Coinstar machines at the grocery store only give a receipt to be used there or an Amazon credit.

@VanSleepy   I recently used Coinstar at my local grocery store.  I took the receipt to one of the cashiers and they gave me cash.  I hadn't used it before but found it very convenient. I came away with $167.