Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

TL/DR: Do you think it is annoying to dig out change when you pay for your coffee..?

There is a little local mom and pop coffee shop that I have kind of become friends with the barista..Well, my drink is always $4.13..I always tip her $6.13 (sometimes even $7.13, if she did a really good job with my drink or even $8.13 I did a 'custom' type of drink..)..I noticed she seems to get a little annoyed when I dig out the $.13..It is always right in my tiny front pocket of my purse, and it only takes me mere seconds to find, and I even usually even have it ready to go, bc I usually dig it out while she is making my drink....But she sometimes lets out a heavy sigh or just seems annoyed....I mean, I suppose I could just tip her an even $6.00, $7.00 or $8.00 and let her dig the coins out of her drawer for her tip..but I try and leave an even dollar amount.. 

Should I just leave the  even $6, $7 or $8 and let her get her own coins out..? I usually even have the exact amount ready by the time she is finished making my drink, so then she is not waiting at all...But sometimes I will switch up my drink, so it will be a different price, like maybe $5.22 or whatever..I then do $7.22 or whatever so she gets an even dollar tip amount.. 

Anyway, I was watching a youtube video about "annoying customers" and apparently change fishers are annoying....I mean, one of us has to dig out some coins either way, I don't really understand the annoyance she seems to experience..FWIW, this mom and pop coffee shop is sadly very rarely busy..I know she has other things to do, not just wait on customers, but when the shop is not a steady line of customers (often 10, 15, even up to half an hour between customers, as I do sometimes stay and relax in a booth with my coffee, especially if I am there with someone). 

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes, I feel like I do overthink this, lol..But I am curious to know if some thinks it would be annoying..especially if there are any baristas that can chime in. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Change fishers are among the MOST ANNOYING?????  How about a charge card for something well under $$10.00 and the darn card is not accepted?

Change fishers are among the most annoying?  How about a charge card to pay for something that's a couple of dollars, then sometimes the card is not even accepted?

Lately I always feel guilty about looking for change, even though I really feel I shouldn't.  I shoud take my time and just get my miserable change out and pay the cashier, but I do feel guilty.

I don't even like going to shopping places anymore, where I have to pay.  Call them coffee barista's whatever you want to call them, they are the lowest level cashier type salespeople.  They really don't need to hold their noses and acted like they are above any people who come into the stores they work in.

This world is becoming more ridiculous by the moment.  I think I'll try to adopt a passive aggressive kind of attitude, henceforth, and just take my sweet time about getting all that "change" (AKA as "money", last time I looked) out of my wallet.  Think I willl try to do just that.

Yeah, you need to get over that.

I have never meet a coffee baristia who "held their nose and acted like they were above any of the people that came in to the the store that they worked in"

That just may be your perception since you feel guilty about paying in cash and coins.

Perception can alter reality.

And I wouldn't become passive-aggressive. That's not the adult, mature thing to do. In fact, it would be rather childish.

Just continue to pay as you normally would, and ignore any perceived slights.

Well, I was just venting, some of it tongue in cheek.  Guess you didn't "perceive" that.

But of course, your professional advice is very sound, very mature.  So, thanks Doctor or should I say thanks, Mom.

Regular Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

Slightly off topic but I never spend my loose change. Years ago, Suze Orman (who in all honesty I'm usually not a big fan of) recommended using only paper money and putting all loose change in a container at the end of every day. I took that advice and in one year, had filled two 3-quart Rubbermaid containers. I can't remember the exact amount, but when I took it to the bank, it was a few hundred dollars!

Esteemed Contributor

Regardless of whether she is annoyed or not, I would just hand her the $6.00 and tell her to keep the change.  Personally, I don't count out my change any more (haven't for years) and I'm one of those who find it annoying when others ahead of me do....or wait til everything has been checked out and bagged and then they pull out their checkbook.  I'm referring mainly to a grocery store or big box store where I've stood in line 20 minutes or more to check out & pay for my groceries, etc.

Like others have mentioned, when I do have change in my wallet, I empty it out every night in a couple of Ball jars that I keep on top of my fridge.  Every 6 months or so, I will take the change to my bank and deposit it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Sometimes I pay with all change...you have to get rid of it somewhere..If nobody wants change then we should take it out of the system and round up or down.They got rid of pennies in Canada to kind of help out but they still have too much coinage.

Honored Contributor

I know your are trying to even out her tip, by the 13 cents.

Just give them the bills next time.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the change.  Just give her the bills and move along with your day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know as a customer that there is nothing more aggravating and maddening than those people who get their order and then fish around in their wallet, their handbag, their pockets for the $ .22 cents.  People do it in grocery stores too.  Honestly, I huff like everyone else who has to stand behind those people.  I even have a friend who does it.  Why?  Why do people do that?  They know they'll need change, why isn't iit  hand right there in their pocket?  In OP's case, I definitely don't understand why she doesn't just give the barrista $6.00 and make it easy of everyone; herself, the barista, the people behind her in line.  Service people don't care about even tip money.  They do care about keeping the line moving and keeping customers happy.  Those people who get stuck in a long line that includes several women fishing for small  change....are not happy customers.   I do think you are over thinking this and I do believe that it doesn't happen often, it might have happened once or twice when the line was long and now you are just overly sensitive.  So, do what makes you happy.  If leaving the small change is what you want to do,  do it because you want to but don't think it helps the barista in any way.  

Honored Contributor

@NewerNickname 

@NewerNickname wrote:

Slightly off topic but I never spend my loose change. Years ago, Suze Orman (who in all honesty I'm usually not a big fan of) recommended using only paper money and putting all loose change in a container at the end of every day. I took that advice and in one year, had filled two 3-quart Rubbermaid containers. I can't remember the exact amount, but when I took it to the bank, it was a few hundred dollars!

@How long does it take to count and roll that change?I just try to get rid of it as I get it.As long as cashiers hand out change I will return change.

Honored Contributor

I just make my Folgers at home and Keep All My Money.  But yes I am one of those that do try to always pay with exact change for things.  Change is money and try to remember the value of all.  I want to eat if I live to my 90's. 

Your Barista needs some new people skills for sure.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

i never spend my change.

it all goes into a jar and gets saved.

my kids do the same thing.

several times a year we gather it up and cash it in.

you will be amazed how much it can add up to.......we split it evenly four ways and we all usually get well over $100 each.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein