Honored Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

We don't drink coffee, so, never be a problem for me.

We got people in our church that drink 13 cups a day !

That's an addiction.

You don't see them if they don't have a cup in their hand. I don't think

that's good for anybody. When I say switch to decaf at least. They act

like "you crazy". LOL   One girl got rectal cancer we wondered if all that

coffee drinking didn't add to the likelihood of getting it.

Caffeine and all.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

What's annoying is having a bowl full of change on the counter top that I can't take to my bank to turn into paper money or even deposit into one of my accounts.

Take the time.

Too bad if people have to wait 20 seconds longer while you make correct change.

Patience is a virtue.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Yahooey : We have been told by several waiters that leaving tips on any card reduces the amount of tip they received because of processing fees. Told this in several different restaurants. They appreciate the tip in cash  and no objections to the coins. I have a friend that is a waitress and she verified this plus said she is very appreciative of any tip received. She said she has had very large parties that she gave excellent service and the tip would be $2 and nothing extra on the chargecard. Southern Bee 

@SouthernBee :  Usually big parties are automatically added an 18% or more on their bill.  Personally, I am not a "cash" person.  I understand the additional processing fees on credit cards (small business owner), but if you don't want my tip, just tell me and I won't add it to the credit card when I check out.  A lot of times the tip goes to many people, not just your waitress.  I feel like the waitresses who tell you about the fees don't share that cash tip with the others in the "tip pool".  I could be wrong.

Honored Contributor

If you feel the need to dig out change, dig it out before you get in line. I hate to carry around a lot of coins; so does DH. We have a huge jar for all change on the desk at home and when it gets full, he takes it up to Coinstar and cashes it in, Last time he got $77. More coffee money for DH!
Honored Contributor

I know several baristas personally....and no, tips that make noise are not cool! Bills are fine!
Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

They hardly give me time to pick up my grocery bag before some wild eyed chick pushes me out the aisle , then, I have to go someplace and put in my billfold and get my receipt handy in case somebody stops me coming out of Walmart.

Act like they got ants in their pants or have diarrhea

So true..So manypeople act like they ae having a medical emergency..SLOW DOWN!!!

It's because their boss tells them to keep the line moving.

There have been many posts on these boards, where someone was complaining about having to wait in line while someone wrote out a check, put the amount in the register, put the wallet back in to the purse, or, even, yes, while they paid in cash, and dug around for coins.

I totally get that and I agree..but rarely is there even anyone behind me, and on rare occasion, only one person is ever behind me, and less than one minute they wait from the time they walk in til I'm done..

Otherwise I would not 'doddle' with coins and worrying about an 'even amount dollar' tip..It's funny to hear small businesses going cashless, around here (small town) some small businesses and even franchises prefer cash and require a $5 minimum purchase if using cc or debit. Maybe I will just use a cc and let her dig the tip out of the drawer..

Honored Contributor

Money is money.  If the barista seemed annoyed, I'd go somewhere else.  You shouldn't have to change your routine to make the barista happy.

Trusted Contributor

@msh8970 wrote:

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes.  I also think you way over tip.

Honored Contributor

I like to get coins as change because then I throw them in a jar and a few times a year I cash them in and have at least $50 or more each time and put them in my savings account - easy way to save.  If I do want to pay the exact amount anywhere, I have enough coins already out in my hand or pocket (to be able to handle any amount) so as not to hold up the line.   I can see where it could be annoying and time wasting during busy times. 

Honored Contributor

As others have suggestd, I'd stop trying to give exact change.  Give her the appropriate amount of paper money that includes her tip.  Let her deal with the change.