Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

I would ignore it and cut back on the tip.  50 cents is plenty.

Super Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

@SharkE wrote:

she's probably in hurry. Everybody today is in a God awful hurry.

Have your change ready before entering the shop.

As I mentioned in the OP, I do often have the change ready, especially if it's my 'usual' drink..And there is never anybody in line behind me, or once in a blue moon..But you're right, people in general are in a hurry these days..

Respected Contributor

@msh8970   wow this gal has zero customer service skills.  you are being VERY generous with your tip.  i would deduct $1 for a eyeroll, and $2 for a sigh. lol. no really, you're a regular, and have the correct change ready when your drink is ready???  NO excuse for a sigh or a eyeroll.  personally, i would not tip a eyerolling sigher at all. tips are not mandatory.  i would not tip a eyerolling sigher at all.  

Honored Contributor

They hardly give me time to pick up my grocery bag before some wild eyed chick pushes me out the aisle , then, I have to go someplace and put in my billfold and get my receipt handy in case somebody stops me coming out of Walmart.

Act like they got ants in their pants or have diarrhea

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@msh8970 wrote:

TL/DR: Do you think it is annoying to dig out change when you pay for your coffee..?

There is a little local mom and pop coffee shop that I have kind of become friends with the barista..Well, my drink is always $4.13..I always tip her $6.13 (sometimes even $7.13, if she did a really good job with my drink or even $8.13 I did a 'custom' type of drink..)..I noticed she seems to get a little annoyed when I dig out the $.13..It is always right in my tiny front pocket of my purse, and it only takes me mere seconds to find, and I even usually even have it ready to go, bc I usually dig it out while she is making my drink....But she sometimes lets out a heavy sigh or just seems annoyed....I mean, I suppose I could just tip her an even $6.00, $7.00 or $8.00 and let her dig the coins out of her drawer for her tip..but I try and leave an even dollar amount.. 

Should I just leave the  even $6, $7 or $8 and let her get her own coins out..? I usually even have the exact amount ready by the time she is finished making my drink, so then she is not waiting at all...But sometimes I will switch up my drink, so it will be a different price, like maybe $5.22 or whatever..I then do $7.22 or whatever so she gets an even dollar tip amount.. 

Anyway, I was watching a youtube video about "annoying customers" and apparently change fishers are annoying....I mean, one of us has to dig out some coins either way, I don't really understand the annoyance she seems to experience..FWIW, this mom and pop coffee shop is sadly very rarely busy..I know she has other things to do, not just wait on customers, but when the shop is not a steady line of customers (often 10, 15, even up to half an hour between customers, as I do sometimes stay and relax in a booth with my coffee, especially if I am there with someone). 

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes, I feel like I do overthink this, lol..But I am curious to know if some thinks it would be annoying..especially if there are any baristas that can chime in. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Change fishers are among the MOST ANNOYING?????  How about a charge card for something well under $$10.00 and the darn card is not accepted?

Change fishers are among the most annoying?  How about a charge card to pay for something that's a couple of dollars, then sometimes the card is not even accepted?

Lately I always feel guilty about looking for change, even though I really feel I shouldn't.  I shoud take my time and just get my miserable change out and pay the cashier, but I do feel guilty.

I don't even like going to shopping places anymore, where I have to pay.  Call them coffee barista's whatever you want to call them, they are the lowest level cashier type salespeople.  They really don't need to hold their noses and acted like they are above any people who come into the stores they work in.

This world is becoming more ridiculous by the moment.  I think I'll try to adopt a passive aggressive kind of attitude, henceforth, and just take my sweet time about getting all that "change" (AKA as "money", last time I looked) out of my wallet.  Think I willl try to do just that.

Honored Contributor

If she's just going to roll her eyes and get annoyed stop digging for change and let her do it if she needs to.

Your tips are very generous and you shouldn't get attitiude in return.

Honored Contributor

Any cashier who gets annoyed while I count out my change can just get over it.  

I have to stand in place while cashiers whack open a roll of coins because that slot in the register is low, or empty.   And I have to stand there when they call the head cashier over to exchange larger bills for smaller bills for their cash drawer.   And I have to stand there swiping and re-swiping my debit card because their card readers are worn out and it takes forever to get checked out.   

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes a sigh is just that, a sigh, with no hidden agenda or meaning behind it. 

If she otherwise gives you good customer service, then I would just let it go, and yes, you are overthinking this.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Maybe you could find a different place to get your coffee.  I have never thought to google "annoying customer habits", and I think you are a very good customer.  She is there to make your day, and you reward her for her service to you.  You are a very generous tipper.  

Esteemed Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

@msh8970 wrote:

TL/DR: Do you think it is annoying to dig out change when you pay for your coffee..?

There is a little local mom and pop coffee shop that I have kind of become friends with the barista..Well, my drink is always $4.13..I always tip her $6.13 (sometimes even $7.13, if she did a really good job with my drink or even $8.13 I did a 'custom' type of drink..)..I noticed she seems to get a little annoyed when I dig out the $.13..It is always right in my tiny front pocket of my purse, and it only takes me mere seconds to find, and I even usually even have it ready to go, bc I usually dig it out while she is making my drink....But she sometimes lets out a heavy sigh or just seems annoyed....I mean, I suppose I could just tip her an even $6.00, $7.00 or $8.00 and let her dig the coins out of her drawer for her tip..but I try and leave an even dollar amount.. 

Should I just leave the  even $6, $7 or $8 and let her get her own coins out..? I usually even have the exact amount ready by the time she is finished making my drink, so then she is not waiting at all...But sometimes I will switch up my drink, so it will be a different price, like maybe $5.22 or whatever..I then do $7.22 or whatever so she gets an even dollar tip amount.. 

Anyway, I was watching a youtube video about "annoying customers" and apparently change fishers are annoying....I mean, one of us has to dig out some coins either way, I don't really understand the annoyance she seems to experience..FWIW, this mom and pop coffee shop is sadly very rarely busy..I know she has other things to do, not just wait on customers, but when the shop is not a steady line of customers (often 10, 15, even up to half an hour between customers, as I do sometimes stay and relax in a booth with my coffee, especially if I am there with someone). 

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes, I feel like I do overthink this, lol..But I am curious to know if some thinks it would be annoying..especially if there are any baristas that can chime in. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Change fishers are among the MOST ANNOYING?????  How about a charge card for something well under $$10.00 and the darn card is not accepted?

Change fishers are among the most annoying?  How about a charge card to pay for something that's a couple of dollars, then sometimes the card is not even accepted?

Lately I always feel guilty about looking for change, even though I really feel I shouldn't.  I shoud take my time and just get my miserable change out and pay the cashier, but I do feel guilty.

I don't even like going to shopping places anymore, where I have to pay.  Call them coffee barista's whatever you want to call them, they are the lowest level cashier type salespeople.  They really don't need to hold their noses and acted like they are above any people who come into the stores they work in.

This world is becoming more ridiculous by the moment.  I think I'll try to adopt a passive aggressive kind of attitude, henceforth, and just take my sweet time about getting all that "change" (AKA as "money", last time I looked) out of my wallet.  Think I willl try to do just that.

Yeah, you need to get over that.

I have never meet a coffee baristia who "held their nose and acted like they were above any of the people that came in to the the store that they worked in"

That just may be your perception since you feel guilty about paying in cash and coins.

Perception can alter reality.

And I wouldn't become passive-aggressive. That's not the adult, mature thing to do. In fact, it would be rather childish.

Just continue to pay as you normally would, and ignore any perceived slights.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.