Super Contributor

I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

TL/DR: Do you think it is annoying to dig out change when you pay for your coffee..?

There is a little local mom and pop coffee shop that I have kind of become friends with the barista..Well, my drink is always $4.13..I always tip her $6.13 (sometimes even $7.13, if she did a really good job with my drink or even $8.13 I did a 'custom' type of drink..)..I noticed she seems to get a little annoyed when I dig out the $.13..It is always right in my tiny front pocket of my purse, and it only takes me mere seconds to find, and I even usually even have it ready to go, bc I usually dig it out while she is making my drink....But she sometimes lets out a heavy sigh or just seems annoyed....I mean, I suppose I could just tip her an even $6.00, $7.00 or $8.00 and let her dig the coins out of her drawer for her tip..but I try and leave an even dollar amount.. 

Should I just leave the  even $6, $7 or $8 and let her get her own coins out..? I usually even have the exact amount ready by the time she is finished making my drink, so then she is not waiting at all...But sometimes I will switch up my drink, so it will be a different price, like maybe $5.22 or whatever..I then do $7.22 or whatever so she gets an even dollar tip amount.. 

Anyway, I was watching a youtube video about "annoying customers" and apparently change fishers are annoying....I mean, one of us has to dig out some coins either way, I don't really understand the annoyance she seems to experience..FWIW, this mom and pop coffee shop is sadly very rarely busy..I know she has other things to do, not just wait on customers, but when the shop is not a steady line of customers (often 10, 15, even up to half an hour between customers, as I do sometimes stay and relax in a booth with my coffee, especially if I am there with someone). 

Am I overthinking this..?

Yes, I feel like I do overthink this, lol..But I am curious to know if some thinks it would be annoying..especially if there are any baristas that can chime in. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

[ Edited ]

You’re tipping her 50 - 100% and she’s annoyed? I’d give her something to really be annoyed about

I’d be thanking you profusely for that tip

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I guess I annoy the barista..:/ (any baristas, especially, please chime in!! :) )

If you have "become friends," then ask her. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If she acts annoyed, I'd stop tipping her. She should be happy you're even giving her tips.

Honored Contributor

I  am also a person that digs out change so I don't have to receive any change back, only dollar bills. Some people don't know what to do with the change. But I do not need $.98 in coins. My wallet already weighs 2 pounds from all the coins in my wallet.

I figure they have to learn to deal with it. They are receiving money, so they can learn why I am giving them $.02.

In fact it has become more and more common that I do not get any change. The amount is rounded down  (in my favor) so they don't have to deal with change. 

Also, if she acts like that, I would not be giving her such a nice tip. She should polish up on her customer service to get a better tip.

Honored Contributor

@msh8970 : She needs to be thankful of your generous tip. Considering this is a local shop- what will she do if suddenly the shop closes. What if you stop going for a few days? What would her expression be if you left no tip?!!! Southern Bee 

Trusted Contributor

Well she shouldn't be showing any annoyance at all. That being said people sifting around for change can be annoying depending on the circumstances. Having worked in a store many years ago it was always a bit anoying when there was a line and someone was on the hunt for the exact change. And grabbing change out of a cash register is super quick and not the same. It sounds to me like you're pretty reasonable about it though so too bad on her. But honestly I'd just give her 3 bucks if it was 2.13 and walk away.

Honored Contributor

she's probably in hurry. Everybody today is in a God awful hurry.

Have your change ready before entering the shop.

Super Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

If you have "become friends," then ask her. 

I did ask her one time, I said, with kind of a bit of a chuckle, trying to be lightheated,  'gosh, you must get annoyed with me always digging out my coins..' and she said a quick very fake sounding 'it's fine'..but, sometimes actions speak louder than words..A time or two she has kind of rolled her eyes..I guess maybe I will just start giving her the $5 and tell her to keep the change..maybe then she will 'get it'..(although the same video said it is not cool if your tip 'makes a clinking sound' in the jar....ie, they feel coins only tipping is not cool..)

Super Contributor

@msh8970  It may just be cash in general.  I know there are some cashier's that like to be able to do the quick swipe and have you add your tip to the card.  I'm a change fisher too and I think you can't win sometimes. You are giving a generous tip and I would not sweat this.  

On the flipside, I have had a couple of establishments thank me for the exact change because they were running low on a particular denomination of change so that offsets the ones that give me the stink eye lol.