Esteemed Contributor

I know you've received lots of replies and that I'm probably repeating what you've already heard, but here goes...

Every time a commercial break comes on, I grab the remote and mute the TV.  Frankly, I've gotten so good with some of my favorite TV programs, I can tell, by the music, that within 4 measures, we're going to hit a commercial break. (I have a degree in Music.)

Just keep that remote handy!

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

This is the strangest thread. I can think of about 15,000 things on TV that are far, far more irritating that a commercial saying something like "we are all in this together---yes, with piano music. It is all very odd to me. 

I don't understand how it's "odd" or "strange". Something annoys me so I posted about it. That's never happened before? I don't get annoyed by much, but this happens to bug me.

Honored Contributor

Re: I gotta vent!!!

[ Edited ]

@northiie57 wrote:

just tooting my aggrevation with one of commercials is the breathy voice woman announcer for cancer center of america saying cancer doesn't stop even with our crisis....we are here to help....bull crapola! like we don't know cancer doesn't stop....they are using the crisis crutch for sales period....it is a business period to them...they are so full of it....this one I mute or turn the channel asap!  sorry but this one hits home with me as I have many losses with the cancer beast and one of them was my husband my superman for over 43 years....btw they only accept certain medical insurances...

@northiie57 

My sentiments exactly....they are there to make MONEY$$$...and their treatments are no different than what you get at the renown cancer center in Houston and in other places....

As I said before having lost friends/family to cancer these commercials just open up old wounds and depressing memories while a loved one went through treatment...

Let a person's health care professional that knows the invidual's personal health history make the recommendation for treatment!!!!......To me the CCA is just as bad as the Pharmauceutical commercials just pushing the most expensive treatment and drugs---And relying on a recommendation by a marketing scheme (commercial) by an advertising agency to decide health care doesnt seem like a wise decision. .....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I bet the people who have died or are in the hospital wish they had your problem.

@CLHS68 

If you want to think only about the virus and write only about the death toll there are other places to do that (on the news sites facebook pages)  Some of us like to respond to many different topics...After all you are on a SHOPPING CHANNEL's Forum Page..... You can bypass any thread that bothers you.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Oh boy! A whole NEW bunch of commercials with all the same blah blah blah....we are all in this together, when we are all out there again etc. We don't need reminding!

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

At least it's not the SPCA commercials. Oh my goodness those break my heart. I can't stand looking at those sad eyes. 

They play them so often too! Smiley Sad

Multiple times an hour during the day sometimes.

They have to be embarassed; I'm embarassed for them.  AdWeek or some such magazine should do an article about those commercials.   I find the overkill to be a disgrace.

@stuyvesant 

I was starting to get really angry and sarcastically thought a few weeks ago, perhaps I should stop my yearly donation to them, since they are continuing to waste money on those ****** commercials, instead of spending the money to help more animals. 

@icezeus I thought the same thing.  Also, so much repetition makes the commercials just grotesque and cringeworthy manipulative.

@stuyvesant  @icezeus 

Here's some info that maybe of interest...

Does the Aspca pay for commercials?
The ads cost the charity nothing, and the broadcaster deducts the value of the PSA as a donated service. ... However, most ads for nonprofits such as the ASPCA and HSUS are run through donated airtime (often in hard-to-fill time slots).

I guess its a catch 22....they need donors and the most effective way to make their cause known is through commercials.....BUT I agree maybe more uplifting and positive commercials on stories how animals looked and responded after they were rescued and given loving care would result in more donations, the images in commercials currently shown are very upsetting and from just the responses arent very effective....

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

At least it's not the SPCA commercials. Oh my goodness those break my heart. I can't stand looking at those sad eyes. 

Multiple times an hour during the day sometimes.

They have to be embarassed; I'm embarassed for them.  AdWeek or some such magazine should do an article about those commercials.   I find the overkill to be a disgrace.

@stuyvesant 

I was starting to get really angry and sarcastically thought a few weeks ago, perhaps I should stop my yearly donation to them, since they are continuing to waste money on those ****** commercials, instead of spending the money to help more animals. 

@icezeus I thought the same thing.  Also, so much repetition makes the commercials just grotesque and cringeworthy manipulative.

@stuyvesant  @icezeus 

Here's some info that maybe of interest...

Does the Aspca pay for commercials?
The ads cost the charity nothing, and the broadcaster deducts the value of the PSA as a donated service. ... However, most ads for nonprofits such as the ASPCA and HSUS are run through donated airtime (often in hard-to-fill time slots).

I guess its a catch 22....they need donors and the most effective way to make their cause known is through commercials.....BUT I agree maybe more uplifting and positive commercials on stories how animals looked and responded after they were rescued and given loving care would result in more donations, the images in commercials currently shown are very upsetting and from just the responses arent very effective....

@Spurt 

I had no idea, that they did not pay for the commercials.

Thanks for the information. 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

What I noticed is there is an overload of those gross Humane society  commercials. With that lady dramatically reading the abused  plight.  Hate them !  turn the channel as soon as the musics first note starts.   I know theyare begging  for money.  I quit donating a penny to The Humane Society .

before you all pile on me.  I am a huge animal lover and animal rights supporter.  I donate and give time to local  shelters, I support bird groups, wildlife and even a hospice for animals with long term, or short term illnesses that need 24 hour medical care.  These pleas for money by humane society upset me, because it is not done in the right tone at all.  It is not sincere.  Why can't they show a cat or dog being adopted, or healed. A quick verbal explanation of animals plight.  

the Humane society spends huge amount of money on directors and advertisement.   The commercials are horrible.  For those  that are animal lovers, these commercials are sickening and heartbreaking.  For those that don't care, it doesn't phase them  these commercial show these photos  and videos of animal abuse for money.  I am sick of having to turn channels, and it is upsetting to little kids whose parents don't explain things to them. These commercials run 3 times an hour on 4 channels I watch    

okay, that is my rant about organizations taking advantage of the  covid-19 , with unrelenting commercials .  they know we are all at home

@shoekitty 

I agree with you about what you say about the Humane Society OF THE UNITED STATES, they spend a lot of money on adminsitrative costs and very little on the animals.  They given a bad grade by Charity Navigator (a non-profit that rates charities)....However, there are a lot of other local Humane Societies that do a great job of distributing funds to help animals. Our local ASPCA/Humane Society of Bexar Country has an excellent 4 star rating....they spend their funds wisely.....

Also HSUS doesnt pay for ads....

The ads cost the charity nothing, and the broadcaster deducts the value of the PSA as a donated service. ... However, most ads for nonprofits such as the HSUS are run through donated airtime (often in hard-to-fill time slots).

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@SunSprite   That's just what I was thinking.  I always change the channel when they come on.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

One commercial that gets on my last nerve is the Haribo candy where adults talk in little kids voices. Interestingly, my DH likes it,  but I don't!