Trusted Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

At least it's not the SPCA commercials. Oh my goodness those break my heart. I can't stand looking at those sad eyes. 

They play them so often too! Smiley Sad

Multiple times an hour during the day sometimes.

They have to be embarassed; I'm embarassed for them.  AdWeek or some such magazine should do an article about those commercials.   I find the overkill to be a disgrace.

@stuyvesant 

I was starting to get really angry and sarcastically thought a few weeks ago, perhaps I should stop my yearly donation to them, since they are continuing to waste money on those ****** commercials, instead of spending the money to help more animals. 

@icezeus I thought the same thing.  Also, so much repetition makes the commercials just grotesque and cringeworthy manipulative.

Respected Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@SunSprite wrote:

At least it's not the SPCA commercials. Oh my goodness those break my heart. I can't stand looking at those sad eyes. 

They play them so often too! Smiley Sad

Multiple times an hour during the day sometimes.

They have to be embarassed; I'm embarassed for them.  AdWeek or some such magazine should do an article about those commercials.   I find the overkill to be a disgrace.

@stuyvesant 

I was starting to get really angry and sarcastically thought a few weeks ago, perhaps I should stop my yearly donation to them, since they are continuing to waste money on those ****** commercials, instead of spending the money to help more animals. 

@icezeus I thought the same thing.  Also, so much repetition makes the commercials just grotesque and cringeworthy manipulative.

Commercials in general are manipulitive, that I think is what gets to me. The coronavirus commercials (I swear what is with all the piano music?) are just the latest. Like I'm going to go buy a car from x company because they're telling me they're there for me and care about what happens to me.

Honored Contributor

If it gets people to help animals, I'm okay with it. It definitely got me off my butt 

Valued Contributor

I pretty much agree with everyones sentiments here. I don't listen to or generally watch any commercials. I always immediately mute when they come on. There are some that are so offensive that I cannot tolerate seeing a portion of them out of the corner of my eye. I don't change the channel, but flip on the TV channel guide so I can't see them. Would someone please send William DeVane, Joe Namath, and Marie Osmond to Never Never Land!!

Trusted Contributor

I'm on board with this whole thread.  Except, I like the Dove commercial "Courage is Beautiful."

I don't care what Dove is doing to help out, but I love all those beat up faces, and then when the words appear "Couraage is beautiful" it gets me everytime.

Everything else drives me up the wall.  

(Walt Whitman said it was ok to contradict yourself, although he just said it about himself, I'm including me.)

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

I bet the people who have died or are in the hospital wish they had your problem.

You can't be serious with this comment. We are all aware of this horrific virus, and yes all  that have perished. Do you think we need you to remind us? We don't, because we can vent, and it doesn't minimize the sadness and pain all around us.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the strangest thread. I can think of about 15,000 things on TV that are far, far more irritating that a commercial saying something like "we are all in this together---yes, with piano music. It is all very odd to me. 

Respected Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@SunSprite ....  those commercials break my heart.  I think that the head of the ASPCA makes millions.  I have to look it up to be sure, but I won't give them a penny it that's the case.   But, I want to help all those pathetic, hurting furbabies.

Me, too, I don't donate to ASPCA. I contribute to local and other rescue organizations. They use every penny on medical care, food, spay and neuter, fosters and adoptions. I cry and the rescue volunteers cry but we focus on the animals. There are so many animals desperately in need, anyone who wants to contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: I gotta vent!!!

[ Edited ]

What I noticed is there is an overload of those gross Humane society  commercials. With that lady dramatically reading the abused  plight.  Hate them !  turn the channel as soon as the musics first note starts.   I know theyare begging  for money.  I quit donating a penny to The Humane Society .

before you all pile on me.  I am a huge animal lover and animal rights supporter.  I donate and give time to local  shelters, I support bird groups, wildlife and even a hospice for animals with long term, or short term illnesses that need 24 hour medical care.  These pleas for money by humane society upset me, because it is not done in the right tone at all.  It is not sincere.  Why can't they show a cat or dog being adopted, or healed. A quick verbal explanation of animals plight.  

the Humane society spends huge amount of money on directors and advertisement.   The commercials are horrible.  For those  that are animal lovers, these commercials are sickening and heartbreaking.  For those that don't care, it doesn't phase them  these commercial show these photos  and videos of animal abuse for money.  I am sick of having to turn channels, and it is upsetting to little kids whose parents don't explain things to them. These commercials run 3 times an hour on 4 channels I watch    

okay, that is my rant about organizations taking advantage of the  covid-19 , with unrelenting commercials .  they know we are all at home

Honored Contributor

Re: I gotta vent!!!

[ Edited ]

I don't get how anybody could not be turned off by the current crop of ad tripe. The ad agencies have sunk to a new low, even for them. They're relentlessly parroting each other with their handful of trite mantras: 'We're in this together', 'In these uncertain times', 'We're here for you' and so on. Not only are they demonstrating even less creativity and originality than usual, but they're taking a horrible, dreadful situation that has upended every aspect of life as we knew it and they're trying to use it to move the goods. I think we all understand this is a tenuous time for businesses and I also think, for the most part, we want to support them, but relentlessly airing disingenuous, insulting and disturbing ads aimed at clutching at the heartstrings isn't the way to go about building customer trust and commitment. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...