Honored Contributor

Re: I got mah pulse oximeter.

@Ceci wrote:

I placed an order on Amazon after reading hundreds of reviews there and picked one which cost $65.00. After reading this it bothers me that I am paying so much. Hasn't arrived yet, said May 14.

I had heard an interview with a respiratory doctor on tv talking about the sudden drop in oxygen levels. Fascinating interview. It was on PBS, Amapour & Co. 

He was describing patients coming in not realizing they were having breathing problems. He noticed that their breathing was rapid, more than normal. When checking their oxygen levels, he was shocked to see how low it was yet the patient didn't seem to realize they were having trouble breathing. The only thing he noticed was they were breathing faster than normal.

He said, everyone should have pulse oximeter and check their oxygen levels. Treat it like a thermometer. Should be a staple in every home. He pointed out, most people don't realize they are having difficulties beause they are sick and laying in bed, not exercising at all, yet their oxygen levels are dropping dangerously low.

After that interview, I went on Amazon and found hundreds of them and spent over an hour reading the reviews and settled on one which gives the pulse and oxygen level in 10 seconds.

@Ceci - I just ordered the same one you did.  I ordered it because it has lots of positive reviews, but most importantly, because Amazon is fulfilling and shipping the order. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  

Yes they are being bought by people who think they might need it. I call that horrding, sorry you did not like my wording. I am confused by your post since we have very little to do with each other 

@hckynut wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:
Purchases like this is the reason I could not find a PulseOx. I have asthma and my doc wants me to keep track since I can not see her

@I am still oxox 

Really? You aren't blaming this on hoarding I hope. I have had mine for years, it's not like they weren't for sale and in stock. 

Didn't expect a post like this from you!

hckynut 🏒

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I ordered one earlier last week.  I have asthma and I have had 2 televisits with my doctor since this started; he suggested it.  At the beginning of each televisit, a nurse asks if I've been able to take any vitals - this will help.  There were plenty on Amazon.

Valued Contributor

I got mine in March after an ER doc friend said to get it ($30 on Amazon).  He said he wished everyone had one.  A staple in the house along with a thermometer. All my friends and family purchased also.  It is information that can be used when you call your regular doctor to determine if you need to come in to the ER. You CAN have a depressed oxygen level and not feel out of breathe as well as an irregular pulse and not feel symptoms.  Clipping this on your finger is actually one of the first things they do if you go into the ER.  I have had pneumonia 3 times and need to be careful. I refuse to be made to feel guilty because I purchased this and want to monitor the health of myself and my family. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox 

"very little to do with each other"! Ok then. 

Now! As for oximeters!  I watch the updates on the virus daily. I have not heard any of the "experts" advise, even suggest, everyone get an oximeter. None, zero times have I heard that even suggested. So people are hoarding them? He!!, most people I casually speak with, don't even know what the heck an oximeter might be, much less buy a dozen or more.

For you to even suggest that @noodleann , the OP of this thread, implied that? Really!  I probably live in a much different type of world than you. My world is occupied with mainly people that were/are in some type of athletic field, thus using a Chest Heart Rate Monitor is common, not unusual. Many also use oximeters, and have for many years.

Now if you are still confused!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

My husband has COPD and his doctor recommended getting one. He uses it when I remind him to.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually @hckynut it was a doctor on tv who contracted the virus himself who recommended that everyone have a pulse oximeter as an important tool in their health arsenal at home that prompted me to get one.  He went through the percentage readings from normal through when you must go to the ER to get oxygen.  

Also not only do cold fingers affect the reading but altitude and nail polish (not that you wear any) and probably some other factors that I don't recall.

I highly doubt people are hoarding oximeters.  I don't think you need more than one.  Unlike steaks which people would buy in quantity and put into the freezer.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I just ordered one too. Thanks for the heads up @noodleann. isn't it amazing that now complex medical equipment that you used to have to go to a hospital to access, now is so small and affordable and easy to find that we can just have this to keep on hand in a medicine cabinet? This is an amazing aspect of living in these times. Something to be really grateful for.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

As an ER nurse, just sayn', if you need a pulse oximeter to tell you you need to go to the emergency room, you've probably waited too long. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dodies wrote:

As an ER nurse, just sayn', if you need a pulse oximeter to tell you you need to go to the emergency room, you've probably waited too long. 

@dodies Can't a person have asymptomatic hypoxia or hypoxemia that would be noted on a pulse oximeter?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.