Honored Contributor

Re: I got mah pulse oximeter.

My husband has had one for years, since surgery.  Both of us have used it many times, and no, you don't always know what the status is.  So it is good to have a reading.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought of getting one but then thought, no, I dont' want to become obsessed with looking at it which I might.

And I don't want to think about what it would be like not to breathe and taking my oxygen levels every day would make me think of awful things.

I know this is probably not great reasoning but thats what I was thinking.

Plus my daughter has one so if I was worried I could use hers (she's a nurse).

But it is very scary and true that this virus operates like no other and patients were talking and functioning with oxygen levels of 70 and below. and still did not know it or feel the usual feeling of not being able to breathe. When they felt out of breath it was at life threatening results.

So probably an oximeter is more valuable than taking temperatures, because not everyone has a temperature who has the virus.

So taking people's temperature might only catch a small percentage of people who have the virus.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Bought a ReliOn Deluxe Pulse Oximeter from a seyour oxygen level abd pulse. It works perfectly, and my oxygen is 99%, yay me.

I got this device because of reports that people with COVID-19 were turning up in ERs with alarmingly low oxygen levels, like 70%, but were just starting to have breathing difficulties. I think using a device like this daily and regularly taking our temperature--not that everyone has fever--may be the only objective measurements we can perform on our own to monitor our health status. If you know of others, I hope you post about them.

My daughter recieved hers in the mail today. She thinks I need one too, but I don't have asthma and she does. She basically said the same thing you did, @noodleann. I think its a valid point. 

Regular Contributor

Bought one in 2017 for husbands post surgery monitoring and evening checks during early stages of CPAP usage. Not really necessary unless monitoring for oxygen levels, COPD or medically deemed usage. Nothing wrong with having one if used properly and know parameters of when to seek help. Came in handy when handling daughters acute crises with BP and oxygen levels abnormalities. Good to have on hand like a first aid kit, BP monitor, thermometer, flashlights etc.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@noodleann 

Sorry you origianl post made it sound like you bought as a trival purchase.

@noodleann wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:
Purchases like this is the reason I could not find a PulseOx. I have asthma and my doc wants me to keep track since I can not see her

Excuse me, but you're not the only person on the planet with breathing issues. I am not the reason you didn't find the device. You gave up too soon or you didn't look hard enough. I spent quite some time looking for mine and one for a friend with COPD before I got lucky. We have just as much right to buy them as you do, of course. Rather shabby of you to suggest otherwise.

And I'm sorry for being snippy with you.

There's a seller on eBay with the same model I got with an auction running about 5 more days. It has 1 bid and stands at $13.60 plus under $5 shipping right now. The seller registered in the US in 2004 and has a 100% rating with 462 feedbacks. Worth keeping an eye on if you do eBay. I paid about 3X as much, but wanted a brand I knew.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

My husband said he got one too but I have yet to see it show up. My temp is always low so I guess if my temp was 98.6 I should worry. It's hard to know when you should worry. I have horrible allergies and my asthma has kicked up with that. I just suspect I would know if I was really sick. I'm tired of worrying about this damned virus. 

Trusted Contributor

Kachina:  Yes, most of us can recognize the onset of breathing difficulties.  Some may not, e.g. those that suffer from dementia, Altzheimer's, etc.  An oximeter is a medically necessary device.  If you are ever admitted to the hospital, then you will wear one continuously.  They are key for informing medical personnel about variations in breathing and sudden changes.  I experienced firsthand the value of having one at home when my mother's rate dropped to the eighties and suddenly to the sixties while on the phone with 911.  If you see your doctor, PA, nurse, or NP/CNP in a convenient care center, doctor's office, clinic, hospital, and God forbid, the emergency room, then you need to request it.  Many drugstores offer them for sale and online services do as well.  I would encourage each household to have a first-aid kit, blood pressure device, thermometer, and an oximeter. 

Valued Contributor

The odd thing about covid-19 is patients put in a prone position instead of laying flat on their back had their oxygen level return to normal in about an hour.  

Valued Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

The odd thing about covid-19 is patients put in a prone position instead of laying flat on their back had their oxygen level return to normal in about an hour.  

I was told since the lungs are in the back, laying in a prone position takes some pressure off of them and you can breathe a little easier. 

Valued Contributor

I placed an order on Amazon after reading hundreds of reviews there and picked one which cost $65.00. After reading this it bothers me that I am paying so much. Hasn't arrived yet, said May 14.

I had heard an interview with a respiratory doctor on tv talking about the sudden drop in oxygen levels. Fascinating interview. It was on PBS, Amapour & Co. 

He was describing patients coming in not realizing they were having breathing problems. He noticed that their breathing was rapid, more than normal. When checking their oxygen levels, he was shocked to see how low it was yet the patient didn't seem to realize they were having trouble breathing. The only thing he noticed was they were breathing faster than normal.

He said, everyone should have pulse oximeter and check their oxygen levels. Treat it like a thermometer. Should be a staple in every home. He pointed out, most people don't realize they are having difficulties beause they are sick and laying in bed, not exercising at all, yet their oxygen levels are dropping dangerously low.

After that interview, I went on Amazon and found hundreds of them and spent over an hour reading the reviews and settled on one which gives the pulse and oxygen level in 10 seconds.