Trusted Contributor

Re: I got an appointment but my husband didn’t

[ Edited ]

The Moderna vaccine has to be reworked.  One of the variants (the article didn't say which one) is rendering the vaccine pretty much useless.  Please look this up for yourselves.  Since that vaccine is so similar to the Pfizer I wonder about it too.  

I find this news to be devastating.  The Moderna rep also stated this pandemic will be an endemic because it won't be going away ever.  

We haven't had our shots yet since our state relegated the 65 - 69 year olds in a later group.  

I'm cancelling the auto insurance on our additional cars tomorrow.  No need to have more than 1 car with no place to go; we are letting the vehicle registration lapse too.  Our plans to drive out of state are futile since we will not eat at a restaurant or stay at a hotel.  

Honored Contributor

About two weeks ago we called and got our name on the list. Suprisingly we got a call yesterday to set up our appt. But the rep that called said he only had my dh's name and not mine. He was able to add me to the appt list and we both go in Thursday for our first vaccine.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

PA. is now allowing vacs for people 65 and older or if you are  younger with certain health issues, but they don't have enough of a supply even for the first group trying to get shots. I'm gonna wait awhile and talk to my doc when I go for my checkup in March. What to know what he has to say first.

Super Contributor

I am getting very disappointed in my friends and country over this.  I am 70 years old and healthy BECAUSE, I have taken care of myself.  I registered and when my DH came inside from his outdoor hobbies, we registered him.  He is a cancer survivor.  He got the email and has an appointment mid February.  Not too hopeful since this mega place ran out yesterday and once before.  One of my Doctors told me yesterday, his appointment was cancelled, out of vaccines!  He goes into nursing homes and is not comfortable with this situation.  We also know someone who came to the US from another country and got the vaccine, not even 65 or medical conditions!  It continues to get better with the stories!  I am beginning to question my friends who are all about themselves.  One is not being truthful on her applications and telling her children to also bend the facts and do whatever they have to so they can get the vaccine.

I have decided after 2020, I will continue to basically stay in, wear my masks when I go to the market every other week, I rotate with DH.  I drive to see grand kids every 4 to 6 months and stay in there.  I use to fly monthly!    It has almost been a year and I am getting use to it.  I do go out in the nice weather, mask on and sit socially distance and meet with friends.  At least we have modern technology today to stay in touch with something other than a phone call.  All my senior and volunteer activities have been cancelled. I do miss church, which my Doctor advised me not to attend until I get vaccine.

I know several people in their 80's still not able to get an appointment and these people are computer savvy and also have younger family guiding them.🤷🏻‍♀️☹️😷

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Our CDC guidelines are to blame. I certainly understand that  direct care Hospital staff and  first responders  for fire, ambulance, police needed the vaccine first along with our military. However, the initial CDC guidelines included so many others who were young and who  may have already had the covid 19 virus . This set back the highest risk  who are age 65+  from getting the vaccine. Many states have been  slow in the rollout despite being told by the Feds the vaccines were coming. The states that have  administrated the most vaccine to residents have gone around the initial CDC guidelines. States have been holding back 2 doses of vaccine for the  health care workers other in category 1A , but many in that group refused the vaccine causing some states to end up throwing away doses . Now the CDC cjhanged it's guidelines to hurry up and admin vaccine to those 65+  fast  and they are also quitely saying that 2nd dose for either vaccine  can be givebn up to 6 weeks later  when the manufacturers Moderna & Pfizer  say 21 to 28 days later for the 2nd vaccine dose. I have no faith in CDC nor NIH nor local health departments .

They just keep adding more and more to each group bumping all those l 65+ iving at home not working at various institutions  further behind in getting the vaccine .  I don't know why they don't just  don't have drive through  vaccinations at  a school or mall  manned by the National Guard . They could call you by each zip code or one street or raod at a time to come to the drive up . This is crazy going on so many websites constantly  having the vaccine appointment say  check  back later - no appointments .

Private Physicians  at Johns Hopkins in Maryland seem to be no help - their site promises vaccine but it says  no appointments yet. My Husband received an email that he was in high risk but  that they may contact him later  for an appointment . They further suggested  trying to schedule through other companies

@skatting44 I wouldn't go-to a drive through vaccine. If I.go, I'm going to the center set up by my health care provider, which monitors us for possible reactions for 15 minutes after the injection.

@Pearlee - my vaccine was a drive through, set up at a huge park, where the county fair is held.  Mammoth. Huge, huge parking lot, with a gigantic drive through metal structure, with several booths (think like toll booths) under the structure. They brought the cars through and after your shot you drove to a holding area, stayed in your car and a doctor and health dept worker wandered through the cars.  We were to blow our horns if we didn't feel well.  You stayed there for 15 minutes.  

The vaccines were given through the county health dept.  They're doing (or they were) 1,000 shots a day there. No way can 1,000 people a day flood all the local pharmacies, etc.  

And, my primary doctor said he's not getting involved in the vaccine at all.  Said he doesn't have the correct cold storage and he's a one man practice.  Can't handle it. 

Drive through isn't necessarily a negative.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Our county health department will not take phone calls to be put on a list or to try to schedule appointments.

Previously they opened up appointments on Monday evenings online but those went quick and continued to crash their server.  Now they are asking people to pre-register.  My 80 year old MIL does not use internet at all or text messaging.  I pre-registered her.  Even the process for pre-registering makes it a little difficult because I need to supply an email address (just used mine) and a phone number which will accept a text message (again used mine).  This means I'm contacted when an appointment is available instead of her which I can see cause more problems.  While I realize most people do embrace and use technology there are still those out there who don't and are really left out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Arizona it's been running pretty good. They opened up 150,000 appointments for February for those 65-74 and they were booked in 14 hours. I've heard that if one person in the car has an appointment and the other one doesn't but is eligible they will often vaccinate both. We have sites open 24/7. I had no problem registering both of us. Get on the computer to the website and follow directions. Not rocket science. Took about 5 minutes. Drive in, handle the paperwork, hang your arm out and get the shot. Sit for 15 minutes to signs of any reaction and your on your way.

Honored Contributor

50% success rate is very good!  Keep on trying, it's all you can do.

Honored Contributor

That happens.  Your husband will have to go another time.

I finally got an appt for Thursday. I'm ready!  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Our CDC guidelines are to blame. I certainly understand that  direct care Hospital staff and  first responders  for fire, ambulance, police needed the vaccine first along with our military. However, the initial CDC guidelines included so many others who were young and who  may have already had the covid 19 virus . This set back the highest risk  who are age 65+  from getting the vaccine. Many states have been  slow in the rollout despite being told by the Feds the vaccines were coming. The states that have  administrated the most vaccine to residents have gone around the initial CDC guidelines. States have been holding back 2 doses of vaccine for the  health care workers other in category 1A , but many in that group refused the vaccine causing some states to end up throwing away doses . Now the CDC cjhanged it's guidelines to hurry up and admin vaccine to those 65+  fast  and they are also quitely saying that 2nd dose for either vaccine  can be givebn up to 6 weeks later  when the manufacturers Moderna & Pfizer  say 21 to 28 days later for the 2nd vaccine dose. I have no faith in CDC nor NIH nor local health departments .

They just keep adding more and more to each group bumping all those l 65+ iving at home not working at various institutions  further behind in getting the vaccine .  I don't know why they don't just  don't have drive through  vaccinations at  a school or mall  manned by the National Guard . They could call you by each zip code or one street or raod at a time to come to the drive up . This is crazy going on so many websites constantly  having the vaccine appointment say  check  back later - no appointments .

Private Physicians  at Johns Hopkins in Maryland seem to be no help - their site promises vaccine but it says  no appointments yet. My Husband received an email that he was in high risk but  that they may contact him later  for an appointment . They further suggested  trying to schedule through other companies

@skatting44 I wouldn't go-to a drive through vaccine. If I.go, I'm going to the center set up by my health care provider, which monitors us for possible reactions for 15 minutes after the injection.

Doesn't matter if you go to a walk in center or a drive through center, they all make you wait the 15 minutes be it inside or in designated area in your car.....