Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I got a phone book delivered

@Spurt I have that channel!  Look at me going to bed with a man again every night.  I am back to my college days.  😉😂

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@barrel racer wrote:

I get one every year.  You must be bored to post this.

Does that mean you're bored to respond... Woman Wink

@stevieb 

Girl, you're a hoot!

I'll have my cupcake now.......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Spurt I have that channel!  Look at me going to bed with a man again every night.  I am back to my college days.  😉😂

LOL! LOL!

837514213.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 

😄😆.......  

Funny how I find Johnny Carson reruns so much more interesting than what's offered today as "late night talk".....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt I am rewatching Star Trek from the 1990s and PBS infomercials on health and wellness.  That's how bored I am.  Here's Johnny may be a welcome reprieve!  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 

Amazing! I haven't seen a phone book in years. I don't miss those bulky books for the most part. In a large city, the stack could be two feet high.

But I sort of miss them in the sense that not having them can actually limit my choices. When every business had a phone from the one-and-only local telco, and was listed in the phone book, you could see everything that was available. Now, search engines can find enormous amounts of information, but I see only what the search engines show me, which depends on lots of factors that I don't know about, and that may or may not be relevant for me. So I can find lots of things--but it often takes me longer to find things I want.

I do realize that businesses operating online and at scale rely on push advertising, and that this can be helpful to consumers as well. Me, I'm a browser. I'm delighted to discover things I didn't know about. It's like the difference between buying a book on Ama___ and browsing the library stacks or bookstore racks. I do both, but when browsing I so often find gems that I didn't even know I was looking for. I haven't found a website yet that duplicates the real essence of this experience. Soon, dinosaurs like me will be gone and nobody will miss it! 

Meanwhile, I do have a local farm that delivers veggies and milk. And I can use their website to pick what I want. The best of both worlds.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why it would be thinner?

these are the yellow pages - are all the numbers unlisted?

maybe it is bc you have to pay to appear i the yellow pages?

just throwing these questions out bc I'm bored - I admit it

It is always hard to use the yellow pages - if you looked up the wrong category

you would never find it

I wouldn't be able to find anything without google

Honored Contributor

@KaySD I loved and related to everything you said.  How lucky to still have a bit of the old.  Heart

I bought an actual ticking clock about a year ago for home decor.  The smile on my face at hearing a clock tick almost made me cry.  I miss some of the good old days and still spend money and time for an actual book in my hands.  I so get it! 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 

You know what that makes me remember? The mantel clock with Westminster chimes on the quarter hours!

Esteemed Contributor

I get them throughout they year as well. Up until a few years ago I would send

them to school with my kids for them to collect as many as they could and make

a giant recycling effort. They don't serve me any purpose any more. 

I think you can opt out of receiving them. I have to look into that.