Respected Contributor

Re: I got a haircut. Never again. Remind me if I forget. Thank you.

@ShowMe wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

The key is to have a good stylist.  When you find one, stick with him/her.  I would never go to a walk-in salon.

The same for me @NickNack.

I have extremely thick, curly hair. It takes skill to cut it.  I found a great DevaCut trained stylist and I'm sticking with him!

@Ms tyrion2......Good for you.  I wil continue to go to my "walk in" as long as I live where I live or if they close down....which isn't likely to happen.  They do one good business there, plus they give Senior discounts......  And I get many compliments on how cute my cut is.....

@ShowMe,

I'm glad you are satisfied with your choice.

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

I used to go to Great Clips and was always very pleased with the stylist and good prices. But one day I walked in and was told my stylist was no longer with them.  Tried others there but was never pleased.  After a lot of trial and error finally found a stylist elsewhere who listened to my instructions and didn't scalp me.

@HiLo....yes, that can happen.  Sorry it happened to you.  My problem with getting mine cut there when my regular is not there is that they never get it cut short enough.  Then I have to go back in sooner for my next cut.  That's why I usually call in before I go in there....but didn't do that the last time I went in.  If I had, would have known she wasn't there and could have waited another day.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

i get mine cut every month.  i used to blow it dry but now i just wash and then let it dry.  it is curly.  saves so much time each mornin g and it looks great.  much better for my haikr too.  no hot blow dryers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maggie Nolia

Did you go to a salon which was open on a Sunday morning?

(since you posted today)

That might be the first tip-off things are not going to go well.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i get mine cut every month.  i used to blow it dry but now i just wash and then let it dry.  it is curly.  saves so much time each mornin g and it looks great.  much better for my haikr too.  no hot blow dryers.

@shortbreadlover.....I do the same thing.  The only time a blow dryer is used on my hair is when I get it cut.  Am lucky my hair dries quickly.  That is one advantage of a short cut.  My girl at Great Clips says she can tell that I don't use a dryer....no damaged ends.....  And yes, it is better for our hair to let it dry on its own.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes changing stylists is not a matter of choice.  The one who was wonderful with my hair semi-retired and moved almost 300 miles away.  For a while he came back 1 day a month for his long timers, but no more.

I’ve been to his assistant once, I know he does excellent work.

BUT THEN - I saw this post.  Was going to call Monday for an appointment to get my bra length hair cut short.  Now having SECOND thoughts.

Gulp!  😦 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Kalli.....I know what you mean, my hair is thinned every appointment as well....takes for ever to dry in the summer and especially there is  air conditioning in my bathroom!!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Sometimes changing stylists is not a matter of choice.  The one who was wonderful with my hair semi-retired and moved almost 300 miles away.  For a while he came back 1 day a month for his long timers, but no more.

I’ve been to his assistant once, I know he does excellent work.

BUT THEN - I saw this post.  Was going to call Monday for an appointment to get my bra length hair cut short.  Now having SECOND thoughts.

Gulp!  😦 

@Drythe....but then on the other hand, changing can be good.  It might be best for you to wait until you know what you want to do.  You would be getting quite a bit cut off and you don't want to make a mistake.  Maybe you could sneak in there to see if the assistant is cutting and if you like it, make an appointment.  If not, you can always walk out and try some place else.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, @Maggie Nolia. I got a crappy chopped up mess, has to be 2 years ago now. I haven't been happy since, but the best thing I did was go as long as I could without cutting.

It looks better now, but I seriously doubt it ever looks as good I think it did before the cut from hades.

Lucky for you, your hair grows fast.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maggie Nolia.  About 20 years ago there was a free perm and styling on stage locally looking for models. 

I went on stage and a great hairdresser from another state did a fantastic short cut and perm.

A local man was assisting with rinsing and I had told him to watch so he could do it. 

When he he gave me a perm 6 months later it didn’t take and he said I needed another which was fried and frizzy.

I struggled with it until a friend who is a hairdresser and has a chair in her home asked when she could cut my hair. I replied “NOW!”

She gave good cuts and said I don’t need perms. But she was always on vacation when it needed cutting. One Christmas she gave me a razor and lessons. After that I watched people on T V cutting hair. I have a 3 way mirror to help and use good scissors .

I have been doing the modified short cut wedge in the Summer, and letting it get to a longer bob  in the Winter. I use box color for aging hair also. If I make a mistake there are many styling products that can hide it awhile. I save a lot of money and time.

NO appointments and if it needs cutting I do it!