Honored Contributor

Re: I got a haircut. Never again. Remind me if I forget. Thank you.

I get mine cut every 5-6 weeks and love my cut!  Have gotten a lot of compliments from strangers (the keretin helps!).  I finally found a wonderful stylist after searching for years!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

That's all.

@Maggie Nolia Sorry you got a disappointing cut. It’s happened to most of us at one time or another.  It does grow out of course, but when you’re waiting for something to happen it seems to take forever!

Do you live where it’s cold? If so, you could wear hats. Or draw attention away from your hair with more dramatic make-up, especially around your eyes.

Anyway, hang in there!  As my mom used to say, “This too shall pass.”  

Esteemed Contributor

I think most of us have had at least one haircut nightmare. Mine occurred when I had some time to kill before a tennis game. I needed a haircut so I went to one of those walk-in, no-appointment-necessary places. I was butchered. One side looked practically shaved, the other side was uneven, and the back was so short it stood up in spikes. 

When I showed up for my doubles tennis game, my friends asked what happened to my hair. I explained what happened, we all laughed, and I made plans for what I’d say the next day at work. I kept telling myself it would grow out and I could return to normal eventually. That’s exactly what happened. I’d never forego all haircuts. I’d just stay away from lousy hairdressers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had that happen.  Bummer!  Now I always take a picture. My idea of what's short, medium, and long is always different from the hair stylists.  Thankfully, my hair grows fast.  Hope yours does too!

Honored Contributor

My hair is cut every 4 weeks.....it would look awful if I did not keep it trimmed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maggie Nolia

Hmmmmm, thinking your post might be the "warning" I needed to avert a catastrophy.

My layered hair is mostly grown out after many years.  My previously beautiful curls were unruly, so....I let it grow out and have it smoothed every 3 months.

I've been thinking of going back to layers.

But....maybe NOT!

Hope you can find a way to live with your cut while it is growning out.

Did the stylist just not understand what you wanted or....just a bad cut?

I feel for you.  

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My hair is cut every 4 weeks.....it would look awful if I did not keep it trimmed.

@Mom2Dogs, me too!  My hair is thick and even if I don’t want it to look layered it has to be thinned underneath so it can fall the way I like.  😊

Honored Contributor

The key is to have a good stylist.  When you find one, stick with him/her.  I would never go to a walk-in salon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

This is so along the lines of what I’ve heard from my mother in the past.   

In our particular situation tho, I learned my mother has absolutely no idea how to tell a hair dresser what she wants in a haircut, and she expects the same results at 84 as she had at 54, even tho she has far less hair!   We have finally reached the point of Mom accepting the pixie type of cut that works with the hair she has, period.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

The key is to have a good stylist.  When you find one, stick with him/her.  I would never go to a walk-in salon.

Oh my, I go to a "walk-in salon" every time I get my hair cut.  It's Great Clips.....  Have gone there for years.  And my girl has been there for a long time now.  Usually am able to get the same person each time.  I've been known to tell them if she isn't there, that I will return when she is.  

But right now I have to go when I can, and it is such an effort for me to do that because of being on the walker....takes to much of my energy. 

Have worn my hair short for a long time, and when it starts to get into my eyes, that is when I have a fit.  Used to get it cut about every 8 to 10 weeks.  But lately it has been a lot longer time between cuts.