Honored Contributor

Re: I found five bucks in the parking lot

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Add 45 more dollars and donate it to the Warrior Canine Connection, my favorite charity.

@deepwaterdotter...no disrespect intended, but personally, I am very offended by people who push their favorite charities on others. I have a relative who donates money in my name to her favorite charity every year at this time, knowing full well that it is a charity that I have no interest in.

I am very insulted by this and would never think of forcing it on anyone else. It's a personal thing IMO, like buying perfume for someone else. I don't assume that what one person likes is to another persons liking.

I apologize for the extreme offense catwhisperer.  I didn't realize that the wording of my post was "pushing" my favorite charity on others posting here.  I mistakenly thought Laura14 wanted to know what I would do with the money. Of course each poster has their own use for the referenced $5.  

@deepwaterdotter- I realized what you meant by your reply.  The poster asked us what we'd do and you answered that.  Sometimes people just read things the wrong way.

Respected Contributor

@catwhisper and @deepwater

Deepwater was merely making a suggestion for donating - no need to be offended. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14, I put it in a jar I have that ultimately goes to the Poor Box at our 

Parish Church.  Funny this topic came up, since I just found $5 in the lobby of our Outback Steakhouse and, when we got home, it went in our Poor Box jar.  Poor Box helps those less fortunate in our Parish.  My jar resides in our laundry room.  I’m always putting change in it I find after washing or drying - I’m laundering money in the most literal sense.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

Donate it.  It’s not yours.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@embgm wrote:

I wouldn’t give $5 found a thought unless it was in an area that the owner could be easily determined. My niece found $700 on the ground in a major city this year. She turned it over to the police who questioned her about not being from this area. She said no she was from a small town. No one claimed the money and she is in the process of collecting it from the police. Lucky girl!

I had a similar experience where I found 3 $100 bills on the ground. I was concerned about whoever lost it because it was such a large sum.  I had no way of finding the owner so I took it to the police.  It was never claimed so the money came back to me.  

Honored Contributor

Yup..........turn it in to "lost & found" in a PLAIN envelope (without the $ amount on it).    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I once found a $20 bill on the floor in the grocery store. Looked around, no one looking for anything so I pocketed it. Years later, I found an antique ladies ring in about the same spot in the same grocery store. An awful lot of elderly shopped at that store. I gave it to the clerk at the information desk. She was so grateful and asked my name in case the owner came looking. I refused. Hopefully the elderly woman came back and retrieved it. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

At the drive in pay for the next person's tab...Merry Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

Heck.... I would keep it. However if it was found with a wallet with ID I would try to find the person it belongs too. If you yelled out "DId anyone lose five dollars" in that parking lot you would have a lot of false takers. Enjoy the found money.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter...I truly do apologize if I misinterpreted your post. It happens a lot on these boards and I have done it many times.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.