Honored Contributor

Re: I found five bucks in the parking lot

In 2007 my employer came in and surprised me with a ten year anniversary bonus by paying off my car which had $2,000.00+ balance on the note.  When I left the office that day so happy the check was prepared to Ford and ready to go the next morning.  Skipping to my car I found a $20.00 bill lying next to the driver's side of my car in the underground employee parking lot. (not a lot of traffic down there)  That bill went straight into my Church offering a couple of days later.  You know who is always watching.   That is the Ford that I just traded in this past January.  Fun to find $ but more fun to share.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had this dilemma a few years ago, with a $20 bill in the grass near a huge parking lot and no way to know where it came from.   My "what would you do?" from my experience is this:   keep it close at hand and keep your eyes and heart open, and there will be an opportunity in which you will sense that it's the time and place to pass it forward to someone who might need it a wee bit more than we do.   No matter the amount of money, it has the potential to hold the spirit of grace and generosity.   Whatever you do, @Laura14, I know you well enough to know it will be a good thing.❤️    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

How lovely @dooBdoo.  To you and your family too.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  I was riding my bike a couple summers ago when I looked down on the street I saw a $10 bill right under my wheels.  Have you ever seen someone throw a bicycle into reverse??  Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

LOL @2blonde!  Apparently I am a cheapo finder.  You guys racked up compared to me.  

Honored Contributor

Donate it,add to amount.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If it was found outside and you have no idea who might have dropped it, it's yours.

If you found in inside of your workplace not open to the public, I think you have an obligation of trying to find the owner.

I once found $20 at work right outside of the ladies room door.  I put a note on the bulletin board saying if anyone lost money, come see me.  About ten minutes later a coworker came up to me and said she went to the ladies room on her way to lunch with $20 in her pocket.  When she got lunch at the work cafe, the money was gone and she couldn't pay for her meal.

The $20 bill had some writing on it and she identified what it said.  I was happy to hand it over to her.

I occasionally find a bill or two floating around.  My DH found a $50 bill in the street blowing around once.  I always feel bad for the owner, but there is no way to find out who lost it.

Now if it is a large sum....you should call the police.

Honored Contributor

It's only $5 I would not have a problem keeping it. Throw it in one of those kettles. I do that.

I did find a wad of cash in the parking lot when we were in Fl. When I went to the grocery store with my sister I found a wad of cash when I got out of the car. I saw a lady up ahead walking really fast. I said excuse me Hello. LOL!!! She turned around & I said is this your cash. She stuck her hands in her pockets & said yes Oh Thank you Thank you I don't know how I would have bought my groceries. She was really happy I found it.

I could have easily kept it but I'm not like that. I know you would like to give back the $5 but you don't know who lost it. 

If they balance your petty cash receipts at work it will be off $5 if you put it in there. LOL!!!

A bank teller gave DH too much money once while inside the credit union. As we were walking out I told DH I think he gave you too much money. I started counting it on the way out the door. Sure enough it was too much. We went back in to straighten it out.

Esteemed Contributor

Keep it @Laura14 It's only 5 bucks.

It's your lucky day.

Keep it in your car in case you're out and and need 5 bucks.

Honored Contributor

I found a $100 bill in the crack of a cushion in the restaurant booth where we were eating. So I kept quiet about it until it was time to pay for our meals, which btw would total a hefty amount for the six of us. After the meal and our ticket got put on the table, I shouted out and said:  "This is on me". All were happy and much to my surprise, the total on that ticket came to just a little over $100...couldn't have been a better night.Woman Very Happy