Honored Contributor

I was on find a grave .com looking at some genelogy information and I noticed that someone had added information to my grandmother's grandmother site. So i sent her a personal message and found a distant relative I did not know about and we have the common interest in genelogy. My grandmother's grandmother had 11 children so I figured there were some relatives out there - but didn't know how to find them. This cousin I found and I have the same great great grandmother and she said she is also in contact with another cousin who also shares a great great grandma with us. Cool. They always wondered who it was that cuts the grass and keeps the family site cleaned up and plants flowers -- it is us - more specifically my DH. I hope next summer when we come to Pa we can all meet in person. Geneology is so much fun!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I found a distant cousin

I happy for you if it is something that pleases you.  I don't want a thing to do with the cousins I had and the one's I've never known. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I live in Utah and geneology is a huge part of our culture.  I have the geneology of one side of my family back about 300 years. 

When I was a teenager I found out that I have a half sister, but it was a big secret and nobody was allowed to talk about her.  She is my father's child, and he never ever mentioned her.  Her mother remarried and she was adopted at about age 5.  When I got older I was curious about her and did some research.  Imagine my surprise when I found out she has a home about 2 blocks from me.  I pass her home every time I have gone out of the subdivision for the last 35 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I live in Utah and geneology is a huge part of our culture.  I have the geneology of one side of my family back about 300 years. 

When I was a teenager I found out that I have a half sister, but it was a big secret and nobody was allowed to talk about her.  She is my father's child, and he never ever mentioned her.  Her mother remarried and she was adopted at about age 5.  When I got older I was curious about her and did some research.  Imagine my surprise when I found out she has a home about 2 blocks from me.  I pass her home every time I have gone out of the subdivision for the last 35 years. 

Does she know about you and that you live nearby?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece Funny you would say that. my father was one of 16 children so I have 52 first cousins. Well, a few have passed away now. Anyway, I certainly don't keep in touch with them all - only a few and we are very close. I actually have first cousins that I have never personally met, and I have quite a few that we just exchange a yearly Christmas card with. but these cousins are right here in town and are from my Mom's rather small family so I am happy to have found them.

Respected Contributor

That's great! I found a some number cousin three times removed, whatever that means! I never did understand all those removed relatives! Seriously, I had a relative listed as great aunt of father in law of cousin 28 times removed! What?😳 Really?🙄 C'mon, get real!😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

if someone found me on a grave website and my personal information was displayed i.e. address and/or phone number and sent me a message I'd call change my address. I would never trust a public website with personal info, nor would I respond to someone claiming to be a long lost relative.

Way too many scams out there these days. 

Esteemed Contributor

JUST SHARING THIS.

Met a guy who did genological background of his family and traced it back to Charlamagne.  His friend wanted to best him so he did his and paid lots of dollars to this group of people who claimed they could uncover this or that.  Okay, once you cross the Atlantic, things get rather iffy.  They kept askin him for money because this country and that town had lots of read tape and you had to bribe or pay this or that fee.  He kept hearing of all the important lines and lineages he was related to.  After several years of juicing this guy for his money, and going so further back in time they finally informed him that he was a direct descent to ADAM AND EVE!!!  He was scammed from the start. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I too found cousins I didn't know I had, on both sides of my family, through Ancestry's Surname Forums.

I posted saying I was looking for info on certain family lines. It took literally a couple of years, but I was contacted by a maternal second cousin, who answered a lot of questions for me about my mother's family.

I was also contacted by a paternal second cousin, who put me in touch with three first cousins I didn't know I had. I actually met and have kept in contact with these first cousins, as they lived reasonably locally to me (have since moved).

All of the cousins were incredibly generous with family memories and information. I had always had very few photos of myself as a small child and/or my father (child of divorce) and I lost those I had. My cousins provided me with SO MANY photos of both my paternal relatives and me and my mother!

I have/had two older half-siblings I know nothing about. The second cousin who introduced us all was on the trail of my half-brother when she passed away very unexpectedly of a fast-moving cancer. She was a very kind and generous lady.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Thats so cool you found a cousin. My husband does genology every day. (I joke hes back to the days of Jesus). He too has found distant relatives. My husband found out so much intormation (too much to type). He also goes to cemetaries and takes photos and documents graves for his family as well as for other people looking for their families graves. He loves doing this. And I have all the info from my moms side (because someone wrote a book years ago on everything) BUT I cannot find my info on dads side which is Italian and from Italy. I only know back to my grandparents who came over here and 1 of their parents. Wish I could find more out. But yeah its really cool to do all of this.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles