Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   Hi there. I am very prepared.  I will receive both a pension and free heath benefits for life. If I didn't get these benefits, I wouldn't be able to retire at age 57. I also have a 403b (like a 401k) plan. I can't decide my life on the possibility of no SS or Medicare. No one can predict what will happen. We make choices on what's happening now. I hope everything works out for you. 😊

Have a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

I sent in my application for early retirement from teaching. I am officially done as of July 1, but my last day is June 16, 2023.

After almost 36 years of being in an elementary classroom, I don't have to go back in Sept. How weird is that?! I'm sad, excited, and a whole roller coaster of emotions. The staff at my school has been so supportive and wonderful. 
Cleaning out my classroom has been bittersweet and exhausting. I've already filled up at 25 garbage bags and I'm not finished!

Well, on to new adventures in my life.

Thank you for reading my post. 😊

So happy for you.  I bet you have seen so many changes in the years you have been teaching.  I am working for the school district part time doing breakfast prep, kids get free breakfast here.  Anyway I have gotten to know some of the teachers.  Looks like everything is on computers.  Never see kids writing anything.  It must have been hard to adjust.  Not too many old school teachers I am sure you will be missed.  Teachers like you are a treasure.  Thank you for what you have done for so many kids, and enjoy your well deserved retirement.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: I finally did it!

[ Edited ]

@Lisa Y I am a speech language pathologist with 32 years experience.  For the past 15 years I have been working as a contractor in the school system.  I am 55 years old and DH and I had planned to retire in 5 years when I turned 60 and he 62.  However that all changed and I am retiring at the end of this school year.  I really don't want to retire as I really enjoy my work but we have a new principall who I cannot continue to work with.  Fortunately, DH and I are financially secure and I can afford to retire. If I get bored I can always do some part time independent contracting working with the early intervention birth to three population which is the population I worked with before working in the school system. 

Trusted Contributor

@ninjawife   I hear ya about your principal. 😉. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree   Your response totally resonates with me! I would like to get a part time job to keep my brain active and to get out of the house. I know things will be okay for both of us. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine 919   You made my day! 😄  I am old school and miss teaching cursive writing and grammar. Most of our work is on the computer, even before the pandemic hit. Now it's worse.
Enjoy the long weekend.

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y congratulations! I've been retired for all of six months and I'm LOVING it! I've gotten so many little "projects" done that I'd been putting off and I'm just thoroughly enjoying doing what I want, when I want. I hope you love your retirement too! Best of luck! 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@Lisa Y 

Thanks for the "early" explanation. My company had a similar "years of service/plus age retirement". I don't really remember what those numbers had to total to get a full pension. I started working there right after I fulfilled my Active Duty Time in the United States Army, where I got my GED.

The company offered a buyout of certain pay level employees in 1991. Had my fill of running machines, and being a quality control technician. That along with rotating bosses every 3 months, and a list too long to mention. I took the buyout, and retired at 52. Have never looked back.

Remember the Fallen  🇺🇸🇺🇸

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I finally did it!

[ Edited ]

First of all Congratulations. I love to hear good stories like this and to all of the other posters who have retired as well, especially the teachers.

A truly thankless job!!

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y Welcome to the club!  I retired last year after 30 years of teaching.  God bless you on your next life chapter!Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!