Respected Contributor

Even after 41 years ago today, I never know what to say to my sister in remembrance of the loss of her son to leukemia. He was only 9 years old and though we talk about him on occassion, I never know how to let her know that I remember today (like it was yesterday) and how much I loved him. 

Trusted Contributor

That’s so tragic, I’m sorry for your loss, although it was a long time ago I’m sure in many ways it feels like yesterday...I can’t even imagine that kind of loss. I think just what you said in your message is heartfelt...that you remember him fondly and will love him always...somethings are so hard to say, but not saying anything is sometimes worse. I’m sure your sister would appreciate your kind words and knowing that he is remembered.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@catter70  If difficult to say the words, I would get a card in the mail today, and write down what you posted.  I'm sure she will be emotional when she reads it but will really appreciate that you remember him after so many years. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Re: I feel so inept

[ Edited ]

Speak from your heart, say what you have posted here. Tell her you are thinking of him today and how much you miss him. This would mean the world to her. I have a friend who lost a daughter and she once told me that all you want is for people to remember the person who is gone.

Respected Contributor

I think just letting her know that you remember him and loved him very much as you noted in your post  should make her feel some comfort. I have a sister who lost her oldest daughter at age 28, 4 days before Christmas. My sister raised her daughters children who are now adults, one is autistic and she has done a great job. Every year we remember my niece and let my sister know we have not forgotten her and that helps her through that time. Show your sister love by telling her exactly how you feel  and how you have not forgotten her loss. Hope that helps

Trusted Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

That’s so tragic, I’m sorry for your loss, although it was a long time ago I’m sure in many ways it feels like yesterday...I can’t even imagine that kind of loss. I think just what you said in your message is heartfelt...that you remember him fondly and will love him always...somethings are so hard to say, but not saying anything is sometimes worse. I’m sure your sister would appreciate your kind words and knowing that he is remembered.

I totally agree.

Respected Contributor

@catter70   I  believe telling your sister exactly what you told us, simply that you still remember and love him, would be a loving thing to say and very much appreciated.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Just speaking simply from your heart will be appreciated.  So sorry for your tragic loss,

Honored Contributor

Say exactly what you wrote.  Write it down if you need to and read it to her. 💞

Honored Contributor

@catter70 @Just call your sister and tell her what you are thinking.I am sure that she could use that loving call today.