Respected Contributor

Re: I feel like I'm living in a sauna...........

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

Here in the Gulf South it’s very hot and humid, but that’s just typical summer  weather here.  Public places as well as residences are centrally air conditioned, so you only feel the heat when you go outdoors. I can’t relate to having to set up a portable air conditioner but you do have my sympathy.

I think northern areas suffer from heat the way we in the south suffer from cold weather, because it’s not what we’re set up to handle.  So you have to wait for someone to drag out an air conditioner and install it, while I just flick a switch on my thermostat.   But in winter, y’all can shake your heads at us when a light snowfall or a hard freeze brings everything to a halt around here. 

I love summer but I love it more because of air conditioning and my pool, lol. 

Ummm, no, not really. 

I've lived in SW Michigan my entire life and also have a place on the beach on one of the Florida Gulf Coast barrier islands. It gets just as hot and humid in Michigan (it's 92 degrees at my house right now) in the summer as it does there. Central A/C is pretty much standard in our homes, even the older ones. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@tucsongal   Your post made me chuckle,  does 104 or 105 really feel that much better than 110.  I just can't imagine being in that, dry heat or not.  My oven is a dry heat and it's still hot.  Beautiful part of the country but not for me weather wise.

———————————

Once it’s over 100 it’s just pretty hot, LOL. I remember not that long ago when summer temps were usually in the low 100s which was not too bad. It is definitely hotter than it used to be, but we did have a cold winter and extended spring so we’ve been lucky. Next will come the monsoon, hopefully starting up in a couple of weeks. That’s the only time I’ll take some humidity!

Super Contributor

We have had a lot of thunder storms. After the storm is is quite humid but usually we have enough of a breeze that I don't find it to be that bad. The kids want to be outside in the pool and that means I am out there with them a good deal of the time. I just stay in the shade. I would rather use a little bronzer than cook in the sun.

Respected Contributor

Here in LV we're having a relatively cool summer and it's wonderful!  I don't envy you the humidity. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a really good memory and when I was a kid we had 4 separate seasons.  We actually had weeks of a real spring and a real fall.

Now it's seems like it's fry an egg on the sidewalk hot or keep your brass monkeys in  cold and a couple weeks of moderate in between.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

Here in the Gulf South it’s very hot and humid, but that’s just typical summer  weather here.  Public places as well as residences are centrally air conditioned, so you only feel the heat when you go outdoors. I can’t relate to having to set up a portable air conditioner but you do have my sympathy.

I think northern areas suffer from heat the way we in the south suffer from cold weather, because it’s not what we’re set up to handle.  So you have to wait for someone to drag out an air conditioner and install it, while I just flick a switch on my thermostat.   But in winter, y’all can shake your heads at us when a light snowfall or a hard freeze brings everything to a halt around here. 

I love summer but I love it more because of air conditioning and my pool, lol. 

Ummm, no, not really. 

I've lived in SW Michigan my entire life and also have a place on the beach on one of the Florida Gulf Coast barrier islands. It gets just as hot and humid in Michigan (it's 92 degrees at my house right now) in the summer as it does there. Central A/C is pretty much standard in our homes, even the older ones. 

@FrostyBabe1 

i was replying to the OP, who said that she has window and ceiling fans only and has to wait for her son to come put in her AC unit (post 7).  I was trying to be sympathetic. But it does seem that there are a number of people on these forums who do not have central AC, judging from all of the comments about how they are miserable in the heat. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Yes, those fans would help.  As would a window.  But we are renting and those aren't options.   I hear there used to be a window in the bathroom but someone closed it up.  Why?, I can't imagine.

Honored Contributor

Some unfortunate area south of me in SE Michigan is having a heat index of 98 degrees as of the 6 o'clock hour.

Anyone else think of this scene from Biloxi Blues (Matthew Broderick).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWuEBcBRkEM

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Wow, the way you said you are 16 months shy of 70 was a real shocker to me, because it made me realize that I am, too. Well that was awful to realize how close that is. I guess I just think of myself as a little over 65.

It’s really warm and humid here,too,but the lake does help a little bit.