Honored Contributor

Re: I feel like I'm living in a sauna...........

@Bridgegal wrote:

@granddi 

Do you think Damp Rid would help in a bathroom?   Ours doesn't have a window nor a fan so it gets very humid and damp when we shower.    I wonder if Damp Rid would 'soak' up moisture in there.

we use damp rid predominantly in areas of our basement along with a dehumidifier.

i would think it would work well in a bathroom. two fans would help also......an exhaust fan and a ceiling fan. we put both in all of our bathrooms.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1   I primarily did real estate for 17 yrs. and then I went to work for a different office and got roped into family law.  I hated it, too depressing, between divorces and custody.

Honored Contributor

SE Michigan checking in here and I'm happy to report it's now 71 degrees with a real feel of 71 degrees.  It's been 12 days since I last cut my grass (my goodness this sounds like confession) and today is the day. 

Summer for me is mid to upper 70's with a breeze.  Suffice it to say we have not been having my kind of summer this week.  Instead we've had upper  80's with humidity. 

Say it with me..... Swampy

For those who wait for and enjoy this type of weather, enjoy it.  I don't begrudge ya.  Meanwhile I'm planning for autumn.  I have so much stuff to do outside like caulking and painting trim etc. and this weather is not suited for what I need to do.  Thank goodness I'm retired and will be able to fit the work in when autumn gets here.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Yesterday I was checking our temperature on a couple of online sites, 110° but “feels like” 105 or 104. I’ve never understood that but that’s the advantage of a dry heat I guess. I can’t stand humidity, 30% feels like a sauna in the desert 😀.

Respected Contributor

It's hot & very humid here. I have AC unit on with several fans through out my house to help circulate the air. But once I step out that front door it is miserable.

Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongal   Your post made me chuckle,  does 104 or 105 really feel that much better than 110.  I just can't imagine being in that, dry heat or not.  My oven is a dry heat and it's still hot.  Beautiful part of the country but not for me weather wise.

Esteemed Contributor

Here in the Gulf South it’s very hot and humid, but that’s just typical summer  weather here.  Public places as well as residences are centrally air conditioned, so you only feel the heat when you go outdoors. I can’t relate to having to set up a portable air conditioner but you do have my sympathy.

I think northern areas suffer from heat the way we in the south suffer from cold weather, because it’s not what we’re set up to handle.  So you have to wait for someone to drag out an air conditioner and install it, while I just flick a switch on my thermostat.   But in winter, y’all can shake your heads at us when a light snowfall or a hard freeze brings everything to a halt around here. 

I love summer but I love it more because of air conditioning and my pool, lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The humidity is what causes the heat index...even 90 is bearable if it is dry with very low or no humidity. Add humidity to 90 though and the “feels like” temp goes way up!
I was in Phoenix last year and had to leave the airport and walk outside to get my car...the temp on the sign said 113...and I was shocked because it felt hot, but not that hot! It felt more like 90 to me. Lived in Albuquerque and the weather was great...pretty dry and rarely any triple digits. Swamp coolers added some moisture so your skin didn’t crack and wrinkle like a croc!

Now am in Texas....high heat...high humidity .....but blessed with A/C...just hate going outside!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a big carton of damp rid in my laundry room than I had not opened yet....the moisture is gooey it takes out of the air...it leaked out of the carton and soaked through the wood of the shelf over my dryer....shelf collapsed...waiting for a plumber to pull out the dryer and see how much is damage back there....if you buy damp rid, store it someplace super dry or use it immediately...just FYI

Honored Contributor

a 90 degree temperature in the baltimore area with high humidity feels worse than a 100 degree temperature in the las vegas area with no humidity.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein